Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-17-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Snakeman
VET

Snakeman is on a distinguished road
Bitcoin robbery/hack

So I was mid transaction with someone and their email seems to have gotten hacked and the hacker sent me a bogus wallet to send coin to, so I was out a few bucks. THEN today I checked my wallet and somehow they took every bit of btc I had and deposited into the same scammer wallet... WTF?

Does anyone have any ideas or am I just out that amount? Thankfully, I only 'dabble' in btc and had around 1k in it and not amounts that some other folks I know have.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
No shit? That sucks and is a bit worrisome.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I read articles where bitcoin users lose more than one billion a year to hackers.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Snakeman
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
I read articles where bitcoin users lose more than one billion a year to hackers.
Holy shit. That's just crazy to me...
Old 10-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
CNBC TV
Bitcoin
$1.1 billion in cryptocurrency has been stolen this year, and it was apparently easy to do

$1.1 billion worth of cryptocurrency was stolen in the first half of 2018, and it's relatively easy to do, according to cybersecurity company Carbon Black.
"It's surprising just how easy it is without any tech skill to commit cybercrimes like ransomware," Carbon Black Security strategist Rick McElroy says
The necessary malware, which even occasionally comes with customer service, costs an average of $224 and can be as cheap as $1.04 on the "dark web."

Kate Rooney | @Kr00ney
Published 9:08 AM ET Thu, 7 June 2018 CNBC.com

Bitcoin users in Tokyo gathered for a meeting set to be dominated by the shuttering of the MtGox exchange amid claims of a multi-million dollar theft.
Getty Images

Roughly $1.1 billion worth of cryptocurrency was stolen in the first half of 2018, and unfortunately for owners, it's pretty easy to do, according to cybersecurity company Carbon Black.

Criminals use what's known as the dark web to facilitate large-scale cryptocurrency theft. There are now an estimated 12,000 marketplaces and 34,000 offerings related to cryptotheft for hackers to choose from, the company said in a study released Thursday.

"It's surprising just how easy it is without any tech skill to commit cybercrimes like ransomware," Carbon Black Security strategist Rick McElroy told CNBC. "It's not always these large nefarious groups, it's in anybody's hands."

The necessary malware, which McElroy said even occasionally comes with customer service, costs an average of $224 and can be priced as low as $1.04. That marketplace has emerged as a $6.7 million economy, according to the study.

The dark web is a part of the World Wide Web accessible only through special software. It lets users remain anonymous and largely untraceable.

"You just have to able to log in and be able to buy the thing — you can call customer support and they'll give you tips," McElroy said.

Thefts can come from organized cartels or crime groups extorting exchanges and companies. But it is often as simple as a highly trained but unemployed engineer looking to make extra cash.

"You have nations that are teaching coding, but there's no jobs," McElroy said. "It could just be two people in Romania needing to pay rent."

As the price of bitcoin skyrocketed more than 1,300 percent last year, new buyers flooded the market. Unlike banks, cryptocurrency is typically not protected or insured by a third party, which first-time investors might not know.

"Usually we rely on banks, the tools are out there but investors need to know how to do this," McElroy said. "A lot of people are unaware in this new gold rush, people are using cloud wallets and not securing their money."

Exchanges were the most popular target for cybercriminals, making up 27 percent of attacks this year.

Tokyo-based Mt.Gox, the largest bitcoin exchange at the time, was the first high-profile hack in cryptocurrency history. It filed for bankruptcy in 2014 and said it lost 750,000 of its users' bitcoins and 100,000 of the exchange's own. This January, hackers stole $530 million worth of a lesser-known cryptocurrency called NEM from Japanese exchange Coincheck. In December, a South Korean cryptocurrency exchange called Youbit lost 17 percent of its digital assets and its parent Yapian later filed for bankruptcy.

Businesses were the second most vulnerable group, making up 21 percent of those hacked. In many cases, criminals hack the internal system of these companies and demand cryptocurrency as a ransom. Carbon Black said it could not provide company names because some of the incidents were not public. In the U.S. companies don't have to report a ransomware incident because it does not involve a loss of personal data.

Hackers often demand payment in cryptocurrency yet bitcoin does not seem to be the top choice. It accounted for only about 10 percent of the targeted cryptocurrencies, while ethereum made up 11 percent.

Criminals appear to prefer monero. The lesser-known cryptocurrency was used in 44 percent of all attacks because of its privacy and its difficulty to trace compared with bitcoin, Carbon Black said. It also has relatively low transaction fees.

The United States was the most vulnerable country, with 24 crypto-related attacks. China was next with 10, and the U.K. came in third with eight.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Yah that's long gone. Especially if they used a vpn and tor browser which is most likely the case. You couldn't even hire a hacker to find out who the email belonged to, and hack it back to your account. Too many entry and exit points when that stuff is used and it's so scrambled you can't even track it.
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
01dragonslayer
Banned

01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough
I'm not real familiar with BitCoin but theres another reason why I don't keep much in my wallet. I have only used it a few times and its very convenient but I just don't trust it. I would rather just send CIM.
01dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
jrod

jrod will become famous soon enough
Where is the best/cheapest place to buy small amounts of bitcoin?
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Snakeman
VET

Oh, I do have an address for this hacker btw. In New Jersey. So if anyone gets amped up on tren and wants to make a buck lol
Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #10
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeman View Post
Oh, I do have an address for this hacker btw. In New Jersey. So if anyone gets amped up on tren and wants to make a buck lol
Hack him back of you have the ability. But if he used a vpn he could be nowhere near new jersey in reality.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #11
Snakeman
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
Hack him back of you have the ability. But if he used a vpn he could be nowhere near new jersey in reality.

He had my customers send CIM to a new Jersey address. 2 customers, same address. I mean, it could be his grandmas house or something...
Old 11-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #12
b52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeman View Post
He had my customers send CIM to a new Jersey address. 2 customers, same address. I mean, it could be his grandmas house or something...
Ahh that's probably different. I thought you were referring to the bitcoin hack.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #13
Snakeman
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
Ahh that's probably different. I thought you were referring to the bitcoin hack.
Oh sorry. It started with btc which turned out to be a keystroke logger and hacked my old email... I think I got it taken care of now