Consuming twice the recommended daily allowance of protein...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Number-LL
    Vet
    • Jan 2012

Consuming twice the recommended daily allowance of protein...

A new report appearing in the September issue of The FASEB Journal challenges the long-held adage that significant muscle loss is unavoidable when losing weight through exercise and diet.

Consuming twice the recommended daily allowance of protein protects muscle mass while promoting fat loss

A new report appearing in the September issue of The FASEB Journal challenges the long-held adage that significant muscle loss is unavoidable when losing weight through exercise and diet. In the report, scientists show that consuming twice the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of protein while adhering to a diet and exercise plan prevents the loss of muscle mass and promotes fat loss. Tripling the RDA of protein, however, failed to provide additional benefits.

"It is our hope that the findings from this well-controlled study will be discussed and cited by the Institute of Medicine for the updated Dietary Reference Intakes on protein," said Stefan M. Pasiakos, Ph.D., a researcher involved in the work from the Military Nutrition Division at the U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine in Natick, MA. "We believe that the RDA for protein should be based on a level to optimize health, as well as prevent deficiencies, and our data demonstrate a potential inadequacy of the current RDA for sparing muscle mass during weight loss, which may affect a significant portion of the population."

To make this discovery, Pasiakos and colleagues assigned young men and women controlled diets for 31 days that provided dietary protein at three different levels:

the U.S. RDA,
    twice the U.S. RDA, and
    three times the U.S. RDA.
    Volunteers were given adequate total calories to maintain constant body weight for the first 10 days to allow their metabolism to adapt to the dietary protein level, and then for the following three weeks, weight loss was induced by restricting the total calories and increasing daily exercise sufficiently to elicit an average two-pound weight loss per week. All meals were prepared and administered by research staff and exercise was highly controlled. Body composition and measurements of muscle protein metabolism were performed at the end of both the stable weight maintenance and weight loss phases of the study. Results of this study demonstrated that there are limits to the protective effect of extra protein. As such, these data suggest an optimal, and perhaps maximal, level of protein for young, active adults who may undergo short-term periods of intentional or unintentional weight loss.

"This study essentially confirms what body builders have shown us for a long time - a high protein diet helps prevent muscle loss when trying to lose fat," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Although eating a well balanced diet is still necessary for health and weight maintenance, upping one's protein intake when dieting might be a useful tool in the short term."
    I don't chase boys, I pass them! - My Daughter

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. - Marcus Aurelius

Unrequited thoughts will remain unless action separates itself from dreams and the ambition becomes sufficient to advance toward a set goal.
  • willi
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Great Article bro!! Thank you for posting that!

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Thanks for posting.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• shrivelled
        • Sep 2013

great read bro thinks for sharing
        sigpic

Comment

• MidwestBeast
          • Sep 2012

The RDA is already so low that doubling it is what most of us tend to take in over the course of 2 meals lol.

So doubling only gives you 112g of protein in a day. Like I said, I think most of us clear that in 2 meals (or some in 1 if they're following IF or eating less meals).

10% off your entire order with code: CHEAPER

Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."

"Following Jesus don't mean that there won't be pain
          But um, it does promise that none of it is in vain"

- Andy Mineo

Comment

• kane.d3
            Vet
            • Aug 2013

I was taught by some vets as a young guy to always take in at least 200 grams of protein a day. Whether bulking or cutting. If you can up your protein intake and lower your caloric intake the body will learn to use protein for energy instead of calories. This is not only healthier for you but the energy given off by using protein for fuel instead of calories is superior. If you do make the switch and go this route expect a 2-3 week lag of energy as the body adapts to the new form of energy

Comment

• liftsiron
              Administrator
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by kane.d3
              I was taught by some vets as a young guy to always take in at least 200 grams of protein a day. Whether bulking or cutting. If you can up your protein intake and lower your caloric intake the body will learn to use protein for energy instead of calories. This is not only healthier for you but the energy given off by using protein for fuel instead of calories is superior. If you do make the switch and go this route expect a 2-3 week lag of energy as the body adapts to the new form of energy

You will burn more bodyfat but it's not healthy, it's not even healthy. You enter a state of ketosis, if your ketones raise to high it puts your kidneys at risk and you can even fall into a coma in extreme ketosis. Your central nervous system i.e. brain and spinal cord need glucose to function. In absense of carbs your body will break down lean muscle to manufacture glucose producing ketones as a waste product. Also protein and carbs both have 4 calories per gram, the body can only use calories as fuel, from carbs, protein, fat and alcohol.
              ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• kane.d3
                Vet
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by liftsiron
                You will burn more bodyfat but it's not healthy, it's not even healthy. You enter a state of ketosis, if your ketones raise to high it puts your kidneys at risk and you can even fall into a coma in extreme ketosis. Your central nervous system i.e. brain and spinal cord need glucose to function. In absense of carbs your body will break down lean muscle to manufacture glucose producing ketones as a waste product. Also protein and carbs both have 4 calories per gram, the body can only use calories as fuel, from carbs, protein, fat and alcohol.
                Interesting. I never had problems. Thanks for the info. I'm going to do some more research before I put myself into shock. So if I'm getting the carbs and protein with low calories, does this still apply?

Comment

• liftsiron
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by kane.d3
                  Interesting. I never had problems. Thanks for the info. I'm going to do some more research before I put myself into shock. So if I'm getting the carbs and protein with low calories, does this still apply?
                  High protein, low carb, very low fat is very best for a lean muscular physique imo, of course to lose weight lower calories.
                  ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• kane.d3
                    Vet
                    • Aug 2013

High protein, low carb, very low fat is very best for a lean muscular physique imo, of course to lose weight lower calories.
                    Thanks for the info. Never consulted a nutritionist or doc concerning I may be at risk of putting myself into some sort of shock or ketoacidosis. I'm going to follow up with an expert.

Comment

• RickRock
                      Board Sponsor
                      • Sep 2012

I agree completely. This is the protocol I always follow, especially when dieting down.

Comment

Working...