X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strongisland631
    Vet
    • May 2007

HCG Diet...Fact or Fad?

I was in Duane Reade in NYC this week and saw what was being advertised as pharmaceutical HCG on the shelf being marketed as a supplement to promote weight loss. I thoroughly read the packaging and they claimed to be the real deal. Marketing messaging even warned consumer not to trust the so-called homeopathic brands. This HCG, if used properly, was to be administered orally a few times a day.

I did some brief research online but I couldn't find a solid source of information. All the sites were either branded fitness blogs or other sources shilling the product. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is HCG really a legitimate diet supplement and if so, is the HCG sold over-the-counter the real thing?

If you spend any time watching TV or reading magazines, you've seen hundreds of ads for different weight-loss schemes, from eating baby food to cutting out carbs. The hCG diet is one of the newest diet fads on the block. Does this one actually work?
    "It is only till we have lost everything, that we are free to do anything."
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

It's bullshit if you read the fine print the diet is limited to 500 calories per day. Is it any wonder people lose weight when they starve themselves.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Trapology
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by liftsiron
      It's bullshit if you read the fine print the diet is limited to 500 calories per day. Is it any wonder people lose weight when they starve themselves.
      I was just going to say this

I dont care what youre doing, if you only consume 500 calories a day youre going to lose weight
      Some Men Aren't Looking For Anything Logical, Like Money. They Can't Be Bought, Bullied, Reasoned or Negotiated With. Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn

Comment

• USNCTT
        VET
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by liftsiron
        Agreed. My sister started to ask me about it the other day and I was like are you aware that you have to eat like 500 cal a day Her reply was I already eat about that much. I was like there is no fucking way you are eating 500 calories and not losing any weight. I guess she went over her diet and she realized that she was way off. I thnk she was confused as to what I was saying or something because she said her dinner is around 500 calories and she eats little things throughout the day. So I am sure she is around 1000-1200 calories but she doesnt do any physical activity. She used to go to the gym three times a week and do Zumba and sometimes lift but she stopped that and I have no idea why. I explained to her that the diet is bs and that eating only 500 calories is barely enough to sustain cognitive brain and body functions. I have been down this road with her many times and like all woman she want the "magic" solution.

Comment

• Strongisland631
          Vet
          • May 2007

(USNCTT) That's a great point. The marketing messaging clearly targets females. Thanks for sharing your conversation with your sister - funny anecdotes. 500 calories a day is nothing - you are right. Those "little things throughout the day" probably amount to more Cals then she realizes.

(LIFTSIRON) I just reread the one I saw in Duane Reade and it doesn't specifically say 500 Cals but it does say with a "Low Cal Diet and Regular Exercise." So I interpret that similarly to what you're saying.

I guess my follow-up question would be - Is the HCG that is NOT homeopathic and claims to be the real thing - could that be beneficial to us in post-cycle therapy? Obviously not administered via injection but rather orally? I ask because, if so, it would be far cheaper to use that HCG than injectable.
          "It is only till we have lost everything, that we are free to do anything."

Comment

• liftsiron
            Administrator
            • Nov 2003

I wouldn't trust the oral bunk.
            ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• workingout
              VET
              • Apr 2004

I dont remember HCG being that expensive...hard to find yes, but not expensive
              He who does not strike first is the first stricken.

BS ESS

Comment

• basskiller
                Administrator
                • Aug 2003

i think what they are saying these days it that the HCG helps with with hunger pains associated with the 500 cal a day..
                Owner of
                Worldclassbodybuilding.com - my forum
                basskilleronline.com

Comment

Working...