• Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Nitrogen Spiking Scams Protein Supplement Customers

Nitrogen Spiking Scams Protein Supplement Customers
    Posted on August 1, 2014 by admin

Nitrogen-Spiking-Scams-in-protein-powders Some protein powder manufacturers are scamming their customers by cutting their protein supplements with non-protein ingredients; this is called “nitrogen spiking” or “protein spiking.”

Gene Bruno, a dietary supplement scientist, reported on protein spiking in the April 2014 issue of Natural Products Insider. Bruno says that, according to NSF senior research scientist John Travis, reduced nitrogen can be liberated as ammonia in a protein test. By adding cheaper ingredients that contain nitrogen, manufacturers can manipulate the test to artificially inflate the amount of protein in their product. Protein spiking has prompted the American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) to propose a “defined standard” when measuring protein.

Amino acids are used because they contain nitrogen and are less expensive than complete proteins such as whey protein, casein protein and egg protein. Bruno’s report notes that “Although amino acids are the building blocks of protein, they do not have the same beneficial effects of whole protein.” because they are absorbed differently. The report also quotes Tim Ziegenfuss, CEO of the Center for Applied Health Sciences as saying “Arginine has approximately three times more nitrogen than whey protein, and creatine has approximately one and a half times more nitrogen at less than half the price. Spiking protein with these nutraceuticals is a cheap way to drive up the nitrogen level of a protein powder without adding more high-quality protein.”

Brands that may be guilty of protein spiking include: Body Fortress, ProSupps, MusclePharm Arnold series, 4 Dimension Nutrition, Designer Whey, Mutant Nutrition, Gaspari Nutrition, Giant Sports Nutrition, Infinite Labs, and Beast Sports Nutrition.

Consumers looking to buy protein supplements should read the label to avoid a product that has been spiked; ingredients to look out for are arginine, glycine, creatine and taurine. According to General Nutrition Centers (GNC), these ingredients should not be counted in a protein test, even though some of them may have health benefits.

Dietary supplements are not subject to the same regulations as other health items. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) can only take action against the manufacturer once the product is already on the market, and shown to be adulterated or misbranded. The FDA has taken action against companies in the past for being dishonest about what was in their product.

This entry was posted in Legal News. Bookmark the permalink.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
  • blm
    Vet
    • Feb 2015

Dirty bastard's.

Comment

• MindlessWork
      • Aug 2011

Such scams piss me off bigtime
      “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• clutchitalian
        • Sep 2011

ive heard of companies doing this....like american pure whey......

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Low life mofos I tell ya.

Comment

• USNCTT
            VET
            • Aug 2006

yeah that is why you will see some labels on protein say no amino spiking etc. This has been a problem for a little bit. Everytime I buy a protein I always wonder if it is really what it claims to be on the label

Comment

• clutchitalian
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by USNCTT
              yeah that is why you will see some labels on protein say no amino spiking etc. This has been a problem for a little bit. Everytime I buy a protein I always wonder if it is really what it claims to be on the label
              i know its scary to think that u might only be getting half the protein listed on the label..........

Comment

• water43
                Vet
                • Mar 2010

ive had some of those brands that just sux !
                the right to try law is a title besides its all fiction "everything"

Comment

• MR. BMJ
                  • Apr 2006

Dante/Doggcrapp posted about this a few months back after a dozen or two companies got caught doing it. You give these guys an inch, they will take you a mile and rip you the fukk off without any remorse or care at all. It's all about $$$$ to them.

Comment

• myosaurus
                    Vet
                    • Mar 2014

I stick to metRX. I dont use any of the above mentioned fart powder companies.

Comment

• irish_2003
                      Vet
                      • Oct 2011

If u made gains still then you now need to question your bodies actual protein requirements for maintenance and/or growth...

Comment

• Darkness
                        • Apr 2011

I don't think much of protein powder to start with. It's not a good thing to consume much of. You're not getting much out of it. If you don't believe me, do an experiment: for two weeks every time you would have normally consumed a whey protein shake, substitute that with 50g egg white protein.

You will change

Comment

• clutchitalian
                          • Sep 2011

i really wanna try egg white protein....or liquid egg whites but its sooooo damn expensive..................

Comment

• blm
                            Vet
                            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Darkness
                            I don't think much of protein powder to start with. It's not a good thing to consume much of. You're not getting much out of it. If you don't believe me, do an experiment: for two weeks every time you would have normally consumed a whey protein shake, substitute that with 50g egg white protein.

You will change
                            I totally agree with this. Shakes are good for a convenient substitute but not an equal substitute.

Comment

• MidwestBeast
                              • Sep 2012

I've been duped on this before, myself.

But for those mentioning egg whites or egg protein, I tried a chocolate egg protein that SP carried on a sale a few years back (can't remember the brand), and it was really good (also mixed up great in greek yogurt).

MR does have the liquid eggs you can order through our store and also a new isolate that is very light and well-tested:

Free US and military shipping on all orders at Muscle Research. Shop our selection of products today at mrsupps.com

We sell the regular bag, but that bundle is hard to beat for that price shipped to your door (and you can do whatever combo of chocolate and vanilla you want). I only mention it because we specifically address protein spiking in the write-up for it since it's been such a problem.

Again, I'll be the first to say that whey isn't nearly as important as whole food and is 100% not necessary -- but I personally like having it as an option (and it's really nice to bake with to make high protein desserts). A great site for that, btw, is wheytobake.

10% off your entire order with code: CHEAPER

Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."

"Following Jesus don't mean that there won't be pain
                              But um, it does promise that none of it is in vain"

- Andy Mineo

Comment

Working...