Alcoholism abolishes the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic control of GH secretion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FContact
    • Oct 2003

Alcoholism abolishes the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic control of GH secretion

Alcoholism abolishes the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic control of GH secretion in humans.Vescovi PP, Volpi R, Coiro V.
    Centro di Alcologia, Istituto di Clinica Medica Generale e Terapia Medica, Università degli Studi di Parma, Italy.

In order to establish possible alterations in the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic control of growth hormone (GH) secretion in alcoholics, 800 mg sodium valproate (a drug enhancing endogenous GABA activity), 10 mg baclofen (a GABA(B) receptor agonist) or a placebo were given orally to nine normal men (age 38-48 years) and nine 2-4-week-abstinent alcoholics (age 35-50 years; duration of alcohol consumption 3-6 years). Blood samples for GH assay were taken every 30 min for the next 150 min. Both drugs induced a significant increment in serum GH levels in the normal controls; mean peak was 7.2 and 3.27 times higher than baseline after sodium valproate and baclofen, respectively. In contrast, GH secretion in alcoholic patients did not change after baclofen or sodium valproate administration. Placebo administration did not modify GH secretion in any subject. In concurrence with previous reports showing alterations of GABAergic neurotransmission in the central nervous system of patients affected by alcoholism, these data show the loss of the GABAergic mechanism(s) underlying the GH response to sodium valproate and/or baclofen action in alcoholism.

PMID: 9818985 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Disclaimer: PremierMuscle and FContact do not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.
  • workingout
    VET
    • Apr 2004

As a former heavy drinker I wonder if those affects go away after time.
    He who does not strike first is the first stricken.

BS ESS

Comment

• elbrandone

so thats why im not getting stronger!!!

that study is pretty vague though... it doesnt look like it takes the type of alcoholic into context... such as the weekend binge drinker.

Comment

• rippedfreak
        Banned
        • Dec 2005

damn i needa listen to this

Comment

• powerlifter
          VET
          • May 2004

Good read....I'm going to have to forward this on to a few people I know....
          Anything I say is for educational purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose or treat. Please consult with your medical practitioner, as they will be able to see and more accurately gauge the depth of the problem...my advice shall be meant as suggestions only, as advice and opinions can vary widely amongst professionals.

Comment

• 5plates
            Vet
            • Aug 2007

look into Neurobalance from IBE if anything on this post interests you, Neuro is a GABA receptor agonist. Its my personal favorite product, FYI. Here's a link with further info.

READ IT!

Are you interested in cleaning up the environment? learn more about recycling and limiting water use in your home to help.

Comment

• layed

what if the alcoholic is still in denial?

Comment

• Fayde
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by workingout
                As a former heavy drinker I wonder if those affects go away after time.

To the best of my knowledge they do.
                ~Pain heals, Glory is Forever!
                ~There is no try; there is only do or do not...

Comment

• tacosupreem

i love not drinking

Comment

• rippedfreak
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by tacosupreem
                    i love not drinking
                    your a fruit bat

Comment

Working...