Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Over 50 and beyond.
User Name
Password

Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
Glycomann

End of the game strategies

So about 18 months ago the wheels sort of fell off, literally. I was training hard, on a light cycle of this and that, grappling hard twice a week and lifting 4-5 days a week. I was still squatting fairly heavy and alternating in and out with deadlifts. Then I went into a hard throw when sparing and my calf blew out. After the calf healed up I could never do the grappling at any level anymore. My knees were just shot. the right one was so bad the leg would atrophy after 3-4 sessions of grappling. Then my back started to get worse. Dads and squats were just not possible over a couple plates. Then 225 blew out my back. So I have not squatted or done deads in 4 months.

I had an MRI on the back and there is mild to moderate degeneration in the lumbar spine. At this point I can't even do leg presses. So I fought against it. Tried a number of strategies that have worked in the past to get back to the squats and deads and I think the body is just finally getting too old to do some of the exceptional human stuff anymore. 55 was the wall me thinks.

So after trying physiotherapy and some BS meds, cycling GH and some anabolics, and a number of other strategic stuff I have come to a place where everything is going to be different at least for a while. Heavy stuff is out. Slow and controlled is in. Legs get work on cardio and other more athletic stuff like cardio machines, heavy bag work, some running, leg extensions, leg curls, calf work. I may have the right knee looked at at some point after the summer. I think I might have a bone spur or something. It was worked on 31 years ago so probably there is some chips and junk in there which is holding me back from even pushing the little stuff.

I took up yoga a month ago. Feels like my man card took a lit but all that stretching and holding those poses helped my felxibility in places I didn't know I was stiff. The back seems better too as in less pain. I don't think, at least at this point, it has cured anything but I hear a lot of stories that it is restorative over time. I am not built for yoga. My shoulders and arms are way to large to do some of that stuff. The best part is all the hot young women in yoga pants sweating 2 - 15 feet away.

So things have changes a lot in the last year and half. At the gym it seems I have dropped from the jacked crowd to the older guy crowd. I'm getting in there 3 days a week with 2 yoga days outside the gym. 1.5 years ago I was at the gym 4-5 days a week and hitting the dojo hard 2x a week. Huge change. I don't look the same. I have pictures from back then. I have a harder look in the face and body and my hands looked like mits from all the grip fighting. Now I look softer. It fucking blows. I am off AAS and GH and on a SARM and a little bit of SERM and a little aquirt of GHRP2 before bed most nights. I tried all the healing peptides and nothing gave me anything significant.

So that's it. I'll see where the chips fall over the next couple months. Maybe the decreased pounding in the weight room on top of yoga will give me some restoration. The way the back and knees are heavy squats and deads are out from here forward. I will probably do a light cycle at some point starting in the next couple months but I need flexibility mroe than mass right now to work the joints range of motion in this yoga stuff. I have an idea that it might stimulate stem cell activity which would be restorative. They live in the ends of your joints and tendons, which is where the stress is placed during these activities. I should probably stay as close to natural as possible to let hte natural process happen if it's there to happen. So probably not much happening as far as PEDs for at least a while.

So off AAS for 6 weeks today. My BP and pulse are great again. Outside of the joint issues I feel pretty healthy. Will get some blood work done soon enough probably in another 6 weeks to see where I'm at. Still haven't made up my mind if I will continue with a little bit of SARM/SERM combo for support along with GHRP. Probably will continue those unless the SERM starts effecting my eyes.

OK thats the end of the drivel. Any of you guys dealing with similar? Seems like this is a facts of life bit part I am playing here.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
Welcome to my world...
Old 04-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
Just remember me in your will for whatever gear is left over
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
Glycomann

I think Mr. Fancy Pants just wished me dead!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
Dawgpound_Hank

I definitely can relate. I had to give up flat bb bench AND squats around the same time back in 2001. RC would kill me when benching even with 135, and fucking my lumbar up for the umpteenth time during squats put me out of work for 16 months. I had to weigh the pros vs cons and said no more. As a dedicated hardcore iron pumper since 15, it was very mentally hard to give them up. But guess what? I am proof you CAN be big without them! I only wish my stubborn ass woulda figured that out 5 years earlier haha.

Step one is you gotta heal up. Don't do ANYTHING that causes pain. It will be hard, but train smart & you will get there. Once you do, say FUCK squats, deads and bench. You can be a beast via numerous other safer exercises. For me, mainstays have been leg press, hacks, smith front squats, bb, db & tbar rows, smith incline, bp machine, db presses. You will have to find the right ones for you. Hell if you have hammer machines you're all set - wish I did.

Good luck healing. Btw, I am never without some type of pain, but the key is working around it to keep it managable.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 AM   #6
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I had to stop doing certain exercises like bench, my shoulders get pretty bad.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #7
Glycomann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
I definitely can relate. I had to give up flat bb bench AND squats around the same time back in 2001. RC would kill me when benching even with 135, and fucking my lumbar up for the umpteenth time during squats put me out of work for 16 months. I had to weigh the pros vs cons and said no more. As a dedicated hardcore iron pumper since 15, it was very mentally hard to give them up. But guess what? I am proof you CAN be big without them! I only wish my stubborn ass woulda figured that out 5 years earlier haha.

Step one is you gotta heal up. Don't do ANYTHING that causes pain. It will be hard, but train smart & you will get there. Once you do, say FUCK squats, deads and bench. You can be a beast via numerous other safer exercises. For me, mainstays have been leg press, hacks, smith front squats, bb, db & tbar rows, smith incline, bp machine, db presses. You will have to find the right ones for you. Hell if you have hammer machines you're all set - wish I did.

Good luck healing. Btw, I am never without some type of pain, but the key is working around it to keep it managable.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
choke

I don't know how I missed this thread!
Damn bro, sorry to hear about those injuries. That is definitely one way to go off the rails!

Have you ever considered simply switching to body weight type training? I did, and it's made all the difference. Like you, I'm on the mats a lot. Ever since going to body weight training, supplemented with things like kettlebells, rings, parallettes, steel mace, and a Bulgarian Bag; I've never felt better. And stretching about 20 minutes x 3 per week, then everything is good to go.

And recall, I got my back snapped in half last July. That's when I made the jump to bodyweight stuff. And I've never felt better. In fact, it's a lot easier to move on the mats. BJJ and Judo is easier than ever because now the strength is across every plane of movement. Cardio and conditioning is on point. The kb, mace, and Bulgarian Bag have done so much to strength my joint tendons that it's crazy.

I put this link in another thread; but I think it bears repeating here.
It's a link to one of my Dropbox folders; and it has two outstanding stretching routine videos. Take a look and give it a try. It'll supplement that Yoga. BTW, the man card is safe in going to Yoga. That stuff can be rough!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r5tptcz6p...ixq7y4MTa?dl=0

Give it a couple minutes from point of this posting. I just put the videos up. So if they're not up now, come back and try again.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
It'll supplement that Yoga. BTW, the man card is safe in going to Yoga. That stuff can be rough!
Yeah, I am just gonna take your word on that one Choke. Richard Simmons claims to have a man card.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
water43
Vet

water43 will become famous soon enough
that's to bad glyco hope things get better for you .
water43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
Glycomann

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I don't know how I missed this thread!
Damn bro, sorry to hear about those injuries. That is definitely one way to go off the rails!

Have you ever considered simply switching to body weight type training? I did, and it's made all the difference. Like you, I'm on the mats a lot. Ever since going to body weight training, supplemented with things like kettlebells, rings, parallettes, steel mace, and a Bulgarian Bag; I've never felt better. And stretching about 20 minutes x 3 per week, then everything is good to go.

And recall, I got my back snapped in half last July. That's when I made the jump to bodyweight stuff. And I've never felt better. In fact, it's a lot easier to move on the mats. BJJ and Judo is easier than ever because now the strength is across every plane of movement. Cardio and conditioning is on point. The kb, mace, and Bulgarian Bag have done so much to strength my joint tendons that it's crazy.

I put this link in another thread; but I think it bears repeating here.
It's a link to one of my Dropbox folders; and it has two outstanding stretching routine videos. Take a look and give it a try. It'll supplement that Yoga. BTW, the man card is safe in going to Yoga. That stuff can be rough!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r5tptcz6p...ixq7y4MTa?dl=0

Give it a couple minutes from point of this posting. I just put the videos up. So if they're not up now, come back and try again.
Thanks Choke. It would be great if I could grapple again. You will laugh but I started doing yoga a month ago just after opening this thread and it helped a lot. Right now I am in Italy working and not training much which has given me a break. I think I'm off AAS for 11 weeksat this point or maybe it's 12.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #12
Glycomann

Stopping back into this thread. I did manage to squat and do rack pulls all summer. I did some biking in the hills and a lot of stepmill. By the end of summer I needed a break. No grappling unfortunately. Still having knee issues but now it's the left one. I did light squats and leg presses yeserday and have some lower back tightness after doing shoulders and arms today on top of leg work yesterday. Again I'm off AAS for about 11-12 weeks just on 100 mg/w TRT. Just quit all caffiene drinks and trying to get more healthy. Diet as usual is 90% clean but the 10% shit is not helping. Time to tighten it down for a few weeksand try to limit damage in the holidays. Doc appt in a couple of weeks. Hoping everything is good.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Welcome to my world...
And mine. Getting old sucks
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #14
Dakota
VET

Coming of Tren I had a little enlightenment about aging today. I grabbed a 75lb piece of equipment out of the back of my truck and instantly thought. "When did 75lbs get that heavy?"

Getting older is still better than the option bro. And we still look better than 3/4 of the 20 and 30 somethings. I don't know how some of these young guys attract a women walking around with their sloppy guts hanging over their belts. I don't care how much you make, sloppy fat is gross.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #15
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Sure sucks when it's no longer a matter of will and good gear. I can say most 50 and over bbers (guys who trained hard in their day) that I know focus on upper body and staying lean. They may throw in leg extensions and curls to keep some shape. It's seams all the heavy lifting just takes its toll of shoulders, hips and knees. Nonetheless, once they have settled with that they enjoy the gym again.

I wish you all the best,
Hawk
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote