Have Doctors Been Exaggerating the Effect of Steroids on Your Liver?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

posted by Bagua

Anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity: is it overstated?

Researchers: Dickerman RD, Pertusi RM, Zachariah NY, Dufour DR, McConathy WJ

The Department of Biomedical Science, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth 76107-2699, USA.

Source: Clin J Sport Med 1999 Jan;9(1):34-9

Summary:

Subjects: The participants were bodybuilders taking self-directed regimens of anabolic steroids (n = 15) and bodybuilders not taking steroids (n = 10). Blood chemistry profiles from patients with viral hepatitis (n = 49) and exercising and non-exercising medical students (592) were used as controls.

Measurements: The focus of the blood chemistry profiles was on aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (GGT), and creatine kinase (CK) levels. (All indicators of liver function.)

Results: In both groups of bodybuilders, CK, AST, and ALT were elevated, whereas GGT remained in the normal range. In contrast, patients with hepatitis had elevations of all three enzymes: ALT, AST, and GGT. Creatine kinase (CK) was elevated in all exercising groups. Patients with hepatitis were the only group in which a correlation was found between aminotransferases and GGT.

Discussion:

All in all this study was pretty straight forward. It set out to see if markers other than aminotransferase (AST) of liver function were correlated with steroid use in bodybuilders. In this study we saw the comparison of blood samples from steroid using bodybuilders, non-steroid using bodybuilders, med students, and patients with hepatitis. Several indicators of liver function were measured wich included aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (GGT), and creatine kinase (CK) levels. Creatine kinase is a common blood marker of muscle damage and thus it was elevated in those subjects who exercised. The other markers have normal values as well in healthy subjects (see table 1). I include a table of normal ranges for these markers simply to give you some idea of what your particular blood test results mean if you should have them done while on a cycle. And yes, if you are lucky enough to have a doctor who is willing to monitor your health knowing you are using anabolics please have your blood work done before, during, and after your cycles.

Table 1.

Test
    Reference Range (Conventional)
    Reference Range (International)

Aspartate aminotransferase
    NA
    10-30 U/L

Alanine aminotransferase
    NA
    8-20 U/L

Gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase
    NA
    Male: 9-50 U/L

Female: 8-40 U/L

Creatine kinase
    Fraction 2 (MB)<4-6% of total
    Male: 38-174 U/L

Female: 26-140 U/L

Fraction of total: 0.04-0.06

Please don’t misinterpret the reason for my inclusion of this study in Research Update. I am by no stretch of the imagination claiming that this study proves that 17-a-alkylated steroids are not hard on the liver. On the contrary, extremely high doses of 17-alkylated androgens taken for extended periods of time have been known to produce signs of hepatic adenomas, hepatocellular carcinomas, and hepatis-peliosis, all of which can be serious problems. The reason I felt this study warranted mention was that it showed that some researchers are working hard to delineate or clarify the true effects, and side effects, of anabolic steroid use in bodybuilders. In particular, R Dickerman and colleagues over at the Department of Biomedical Science, University of North Texas Health Science Center have recently done several studies investigating the effects of anabolic steroids on various aspects of physiology.

To summarize, the usual tests that have been relied on to declare hepatotoxicity from steroid use may be and are very likely to be, inadequate to justify such a claim when considering the type of subjects in this study. The lack of abnormality in gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase from bodybuilders using anabolics indicates that the elevated levels of the other markers may be misleading when it comes to true liver function and may be partly related to muscle damaged induced by resistance exercise. The authors of this study put it this way:

"Prior reports of anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity based on elevated aminotransferase levels may have been overstated, because no exercising subjects, including steroid users, demonstrated hepatic dysfunction based on GGT levels. Such reports may have misled the medical community to emphasize steroid-induced hepatotoxicity when interpreting elevated aminotransferase levels and disregard muscle damage. For these reasons, when evaluating hepatic function in cases of anabolic steroid therapy or abuse, CK and GGT levels should be considered in addition to ALT and AST levels as essential elements of the assessment."

This is not a statement giving the green light to bodybuilders who are or who intend to use androgens. It is simply a logical and interesting conclusion based on this study’s results. As usual, always educate yourself as to the risks involved with androgen use and take the necessary steps and precautions to minimize those risks if you plan on using them.

Researchers: Dickerman RD, Pertusi RM, Zachariah NY, Dufour DR, McConathy WJ

The Department of Biomedical Science, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth 76107-2699, USA.

Source: Clin J Sport Med 1999 Jan;9(1):34-9

Summary:

Subjects: The participants were bodybuilders taking self-directed regimens of anabolic steroids (n = 15) and bodybuilders not taking steroids (n = 10). Blood chemistry profiles from patients with viral hepatitis (n = 49) and exercising and non-exercising medical students (592) were used as controls.

Measurements: The focus of the blood chemistry profiles was on aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (GGT), and creatine kinase (CK) levels. (All indicators of liver function.)

Results: In both groups of bodybuilders, CK, AST, and ALT were elevated, whereas GGT remained in the normal range. In contrast, patients with hepatitis had elevations of all three enzymes: ALT, AST, and GGT. Creatine kinase (CK) was elevated in all exercising groups. Patients with hepatitis were the only group in which a correlation was found between aminotransferases and GGT.

Discussion:

All in all this study was pretty straight forward. It set out to see if markers other than aminotransferase (AST) of liver function were correlated with steroid use in bodybuilders. In this study we saw the comparison of blood samples from steroid using bodybuilders, non-steroid using bodybuilders, med students, and patients with hepatitis. Several indicators of liver function were measured wich included aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (GGT), and creatine kinase (CK) levels. Creatine kinase is a common blood marker of muscle damage and thus it was elevated in those subjects who exercised. The other markers have normal values as well in healthy subjects (see table 1). I include a table of normal ranges for these markers simply to give you some idea of what your particular blood test results mean if you should have them done while on a cycle. And yes, if you are lucky enough to have a doctor who is willing to monitor your health knowing you are using anabolics please have your blood work done before, during, and after your cycles.

Table 1.

Test
    Reference Range (Conventional)
    Reference Range (International)

Aspartate aminotransferase
    NA
    10-30 U/L

Alanine aminotransferase
    NA
    8-20 U/L

Gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase
    NA
    Male: 9-50 U/L

Female: 8-40 U/L

Creatine kinase
    Fraction 2 (MB)<4-6% of total
    Male: 38-174 U/L

Female: 26-140 U/L

Fraction of total: 0.04-0.06

Please don’t misinterpret the reason for my inclusion of this study in Research Update. I am by no stretch of the imagination claiming that this study proves that 17-a-alkylated steroids are not hard on the liver. On the contrary, extremely high doses of 17-alkylated androgens taken for extended periods of time have been known to produce signs of hepatic adenomas, hepatocellular carcinomas, and hepatis-peliosis, all of which can be serious problems. The reason I felt this study warranted mention was that it showed that some researchers are working hard to delineate or clarify the true effects, and side effects, of anabolic steroid use in bodybuilders. In particular, R Dickerman and colleagues over at the Department of Biomedical Science, University of North Texas Health Science Center have recently done several studies investigating the effects of anabolic steroids on various aspects of physiology.

To summarize, the usual tests that have been relied on to declare hepatotoxicity from steroid use may be and are very likely to be, inadequate to justify such a claim when considering the type of subjects in this study. The lack of abnormality in gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase from bodybuilders using anabolics indicates that the elevated levels of the other markers may be misleading when it comes to true liver function and may be partly related to muscle damaged induced by resistance exercise. The authors of this study put it this way:

"Prior reports of anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity based on elevated aminotransferase levels may have been overstated, because no exercising subjects, including steroid users, demonstrated hepatic dysfunction based on GGT levels. Such reports may have misled the medical community to emphasize steroid-induced hepatotoxicity when interpreting elevated aminotransferase levels and disregard muscle damage. For these reasons, when evaluating hepatic function in cases of anabolic steroid therapy or abuse, CK and GGT levels should be considered in addition to ALT and AST levels as essential elements of the assessment."

This is not a statement giving the green light to bodybuilders who are or who intend to use androgens. It is simply a logical and interesting conclusion based on this study’s results. As usual, always educate yourself as to the risks involved with androgen use and take the necessary steps and precautions to minimize those risks if you plan on using them.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
  • bufbiker

Well that was interesting. But we all know orals, some more so than others, wreak havoc on the liver. My Dr thought I had hep when I knew it was from adrol use.

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by bufbiker
      Well that was interesting. But we all know orals, some more so than others, wreak havoc on the liver. My Dr thought I had hep when I knew it was from adrol use.
      Drol and halotest are bad for skewing tests on certain liver enzymes more often without doing any real harm. But real high AST and ALT indicate it's time to back off for a time.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Darkness
        • Apr 2011

If you beleive what people tell you about some of the compounds you would think I wouldnt even have a liver. My values always check out OK, even when running dbol for about 6 times longer than the little kids say you can.

Comment

• Glycomann

My enzyme numbers go up more from a hard week of workouts than a hand full of dianabols a day. Now my HDL goes in the shitter from a few winstrol a day but that;s a different story.

Comment

• willsgotrythm
            Vet
            • Jul 2012

We all know that these chemicals that we ingest have a slightly different effect on each of us. Even though they are chemically structured the same and systemically work the same in the body, every body is different. That's why a doctors profession is a "practice" they don't really know for sure....Our best bet is to err on the side of caution and keep tabs with blood work.

Comment

• RickRock
              Board Sponsor
              • Sep 2012

Everything usually gets blown out of proportion about liver stress. The longer you run and the higher the doses you run obviously carries more risks, but be somewhat sensible and its never an issue

Comment

• A1food4u

So with all that being said....should a statin user stay away from orals....not in this boat but I'm curoius as to what you all think

Comment

• liftsiron
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by A1food4u
                  So with all that being said....should a statin user stay away from orals....not in this boat but I'm curoius as to what you all think
                  It would depend what effects the statins have on your liver. Overall I'm not a fan of statins.
                  ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• A1food4u

My brother takes them for cholesterol management...he's been asking if i "used" anything .. don't want to suggest something that might end up hurting him.... just being cautious....

Comment

• liftsiron
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by A1food4u
                      My brother takes them for cholesterol management...he's been asking if i "used" anything .. don't want to suggest something that might end up hurting him.... just being cautious....

Most orals skew cholesterol. IMO injects would be safer.
                      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• animal87

I've read several things about the old school guys (Arnold in particular) running high doses of orals for months on end. Pretty much half the year old arnie was supposedly on dbol and/or winny up to 100mg ed. I don't know how you could have a liver at all after that.

Comment

• liftsiron
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2003

Tylonel is actually harder on the liver than d-bol causing over 14000 deaths each year from liver failure.
                          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

Working...