• discipleofmentzer

OK, thanks.

Ordered flax & dextrose.

Have foreman grill will use.

Appreciate the help.

Comment

• goes4ever
      • Sep 2004

ALWAYS glad to help out bro, thanks for posting and please keep in touch how the diet is working for you, also you never answered me when I asked you if you only lift once per week?

Comment

• discipleofmentzer

Originally posted by goes4ever
        you never answered me when I asked you if you only lift once per week?
        Yes, I only lift once per week.

The workout I am doing is the Advanced Consolidation workout from the book "High Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way."

It specifically says to "rest 5-7 days" in between workouts.

I was previously using the "Ideal Workout" from this book once every 5 days and eventually hit a wall. Now I am trying the Advanced workout. See my intro for details about why.

This is HIT to failure every work set. I would be glad to answer any detailed questions you have, but there are plenty of threads about HIT on this board, and other boards.

A further explanation of why I only lift once per week can be found in this thread by ironaddict.

Note the part where he says: "Of about 30 people I am currently training approximately 50% are doing a once in 9-day split and all are making great progress"

As that thread explains, I may have to insert additional rest days to achieve optimal results. We shall see.

I'm a skinny guy by nature. Been a size 30 most of my life. I was 147lbs before I started lifting. Mike Mentzer HIT works for me. It produces results. My eating habits have not been that great with all the buffets and carbs, but I wasn't really worried about that. I ate like that when I was skinny, but lifting stimulated me to eat more of it. I think MM's views about nutrition were way off, and now I'm going to try better nutrition. We'll see if it makes a difference. I think it will. Will working out once a week work for me? We'll see. I am going to stick with it long enough to find out, even if that means inserting additional rest days as explained in the HIT book and the article linked above.

Comment

• goes4ever
          • Sep 2004

well if it works for you, then don't change it, but let me point out one thing I know that mentzer does not have in his book.

Mike and his brother had SUPERIOR genetics, far above the average man. Mike and his brother also used a TON of bodybuilding drugs to acheive the bodies they had, they both also died at very young ages.

if it works for you, great!

Comment

• discipleofmentzer

well if it works for you, then don't change it, but let me point out one thing I know that mentzer does not have in his book.

Mike and his brother had SUPERIOR genetics, far above the average man.
            Agreed.

Mike and his brother also used a TON of bodybuilding drugs to acheive the bodies they had,
            Agreed.

The workouts in his last book were designed based upon his experience training others and working with Arthur Jones. There were designed for people wanting to train clean.

they both also died at very young ages.
            Mike Mentzer and his brother Ray died of a genetic disorder that caused blood clots. Ray also had Berger's disease. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...erview+mentzer

Comment

• discipleofmentzer

Cardio:

Saturday:
              am: 60 min hike with hills
              pm: 60 min fast hike

Sunday
              am:15 min fast walk
              pm:15 min fast walk

Monday:
              am:15 min fast walk
              pm:15 min walk

Comment

• goes4ever
                • Sep 2004

glad to see your doing cardio

Comment

• discipleofmentzer

glad to see your doing cardio
                  Thanks. It feels good.

The diet is working out fine, except I seem to be hungry often. I added oatmeal to the afternoon snack. That seemed to hold me over, and it gets me up to eating oatmeal 2x a day.

Here is what I had in mind for non-workout days: (small changes to all meals)

1: oatmeal, egg whites (egg beaters), cheese, coffee

2: 2 scoop whey +fruit +some fat source (nuts, flax oil etc....)

3: meat with some green veggies (eg:8oz chicken +broccoli or 6oz steak +salad)

4: 2 scoop whey + oatmeal +some fat source (nuts, flax oil etc....)

5: large portion of meat with some green veggies in olive oil (eg: steak + salad or pork + zuchinni) sometimes potatoes instead of veggies.

6: bedtime 2 scoop casein +some fat source (nuts, flax oil etc....)

I'm mixing the protein powder with water now. Tastes bad, but after reading up on milk I cut it out of my diet.

I have plenty of energy on this diet, and an increased appetite. Not wanting larger meals, just seem to be hungry more often. Cooked a beef roast last night and ate a pound of it with some potatoes. GF invited me over for chili tonight... gonna eat some leftover beef after work before I go over there.

Anyhow, please let me know what you think about the latest version of the diet. I'm just trying to tweak it so I'm not hungry.

Others are welcome to comment also.

Comment

• Matt76
                    • May 2007

dang looking good carcio and a good diet

Comment

• goes4ever
                      • Sep 2004

bro, I think the diet looks great, if you get exceptionally hungry I would add more fat at the places you have it now, maybe a few more nuts, or an extra tbs of flax, other than that I wouldn;t change a thing

Comment

• discipleofmentzer

OK. Thanks. Diet and cardio were issues that I was not addressing properly, and I feel like I have them covered now.

Comment

• discipleofmentzer

Tuesday:
                          Am: 15 min walk
                          Pm: 30 min walk/jog

Wed:
                          Pm: 15 min walk

Thursday:

Workout:
                          (After warm up)
                          Deadlift 10x180 (to failure)
                          Press behind neck: 5x75
                          Standing calf raises on Smyth: 18x190 (to failure)
                          Weighted sit-ups: 21x50 (to failure)

Pm: 10 min walk

Diet for workout day only:
                          1: oats, eggs, cheese
                          2: 2 scoop whey, nuts, cheese
                          3: 5 small slices pizza
                          4: 2 scoop whey, oats, almonds
                          PWO: 2 scoop whey, 1 scoop dextrose
                          5: 2 grilled chicken breasts, 1cup rice
                          6: 1 grilled chicken breast

Comment

• discipleofmentzer

Tuesday:
                            Pm: 30 min walk/jog

Wed:
                            Pm: 15 min walk

Thursday:

Workout:
                            (After warm up)
                            Deadlift 10x180 (to failure)
                            Press behind neck: 5x75
                            Standing calf raises on Smyth: 18x190 (to failure)
                            Weighted sit-ups: 21x50 (to failure)

Pm: 10 min walk

Diet for workout day only:
                            1: oats, eggs, cheese
                            2: 2 scoop whey, nuts, cheese
                            3: 5 small slices pizza
                            4: 2 scoop whey, oats, almonds
                            PWO: 2 scoop whey, 1 scoop dextrose
                            5: 2 grilled chicken breasts, 1cup rice
                            6: 1 grilled chicken breast

Comment

• goes4ever
                              • Sep 2004

looking good, how do you feel after following the new diet for awhile now?

Comment

• discipleofmentzer

looking good, how do you feel after following the new diet for awhile now?
                                I feel good.

Not as sleepy during the day. I sit in front of a computer for 8-10hrs/day and I don't seem to be nodding off any more.

More energy after work. Looking forward to taking the dog out to play/walk/hike after work. Sure beats coming home to lay around and read. I even felt like jogging the other day.

The diet has been easy to stick to, and it is now balanced out so I'm usually hungry 15-30min before the next meal, but I'm definitely not going hungry in between.

I'm eating larger portions of meat with the 2 big meals, and larger portions of oats and eggs too. I don't really measure, I just eat enough of those items to be full.

I'm happy with it, and I don't seem to be missing the extra fruit and bread.

I'm sure the cardio helps. I feel like I am balancing diet, cardio, lifting, and rest for the first time in my life.

Thanks again for the diet recommendations. That really helped me get things right.

The PWO shake with dextrose was great.

Comment

Working...