X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeke
    Vet
    • May 2005

When do you say when

I have been working out now for 13 years. I went from Soccer in my youth and teens to Tae kwon Do in my 20's. Made it to second degree Black belt until I got bored with that. Now I wish that I could say I always lived a healthy active life but after TWD I divorced and started hanging with the wrong group doing coke, smoking and drinking all the time. Thank God I had good friends and a wise brother to get me out of that shit.

One of my buddies introduced me to lifting weights and after about six weeks I was hooked. I absolutely love it. It has been so rewarding. I guess I had been lifting for about five years before I turned to the dark side as I call it. Using juice made it so much more than I ever expected. I will use "test" until I die.....

The only bad results I guess ive had is three shoulder surgeries on my left shoulder and one just yesterday on my right shoulder. Ranging from cyst to torn labrums on both shoulders. My surgeon is telling me that staying away from the heavy weight is a must. I'm hoping heavy to him is 315 + not 225 +

Anyway, are there a lot of you over 40 like me that are just doing reps? I love lifting over. How do ya'll cope with it/

Thanks,
    Z-
  • BigSickD
    Vet
    • May 2004

I will be 40 in march and have had 3 surgeries due to lifting so I probaly qualify to answer this. I actually myself have been dealing with a lateral tear in my left labrum since '06. I just do what I can and warm up, I don't life really heavy these days but not heavy for me is probaly heavy for most. I do high reps 12-15 on most all chest and shoulder exercises. I incidently had my right torn tricep repaired in '06 also so it limits me as well on strength, kinda balances me out..LOL Back, legs and bi's are strong as ever but I still now use higher reps and I try not to work thru actually pain, I stop now if something don't feel right and maybe use a different exercise that day. I actually just started bulking alittle, in '06 before my injuries I was in the 265+ range and since then I have stayed down around 240, though I have also kept my size down cause I started motocycle racing again in '07. I plan on getting up to around 260 or so and am considering doing an over 40 show next year but right now that is just a thought. Good luck dude and stick with it.
    BigSickD does not actually exist. He is the alter ego of a punkass 17yo kid that doesn't even workout.

Comment

• HOTROCKS
      • Feb 2009

Jesus Brother !
      Bad form is how you get hurt !
      There ain't a mofo on the plant when lifting using Proper form will ever get hurt.
      I would suggest ..at first is to find you a good trainer that will teach you proper form .
      Oh Yes ! I'm not wrong, it's imperative

I have a few brother that lift here in my home(garage) gym that after years I see them lifting outta form and that is a prescription for injury.
      I jump their asses !

You can bet your life on it.
      The problem is that a book can't show you how,and most new lifters are over zealous and that is what will get you hurt.

I don't give a fuk if you have been lifting for 1000 years , when you step foot into my studio I'm gonna watch you closely as hell.

I try to tell the Bro's it's like ballet .
      All in a executed form, nothing more and damn sure nothing less.

It ain't gonna happen today !
      Form Form Form Form ..and more form.
      That is what you gotta perfect !
      Here is the good part .
      Once you have the perfected form and have it etched in your Brain it will never leave you.

I start everyone out with a empty bar ...Some for days and some for weeks.

Please believe me on this one and you will have a great experience , with minimum injures.
      Deus unus me iudicare potest

Hot Rocks aka HIGH12 is A true American Psycho!

Comment

• HOTROCKS
        • Feb 2009

FORM !
        I'm 58 years young !

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

Form is important no doubt, but I have seen injuries occur with experienced guys using perfect form. Often with far less than their max lift.
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• BigSickD
            Vet
            • May 2004

Originally posted by liftsiron
            Form is important no doubt, but I have seen injuries occur with experienced guys using perfect form. Often with far less than their max lift.
            Yep, I actually had a very good trainer and former national competitor spotting me on incline barbell presses, at the time I would finish my fourth set with 405X6 and I was only doing 315 when I tore my labrum. My form was good, just alot of other factors can cause it, though form is very important especially with youngsters..
            BigSickD does not actually exist. He is the alter ego of a punkass 17yo kid that doesn't even workout.

Comment

• HOTROCKS
              • Feb 2009

Yes ! but,only if there is a physiological problem in the first place.

Comment

• Deacon
                Vet
                • Jan 2005

at 46 I am better than ever - stronger too - no need to back off once you have healed up
                Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
                "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

I'll be 47 next month. I find that warming up & stretching more is one of the most important keys to help negate injuries as I get older. I don't buy into that "new-age" bullshit that stretching is bad for you. Just don't over-stretch a cold muscle. I have been stretching the bodypart I am working before, during and after hitting the iron...lightly to deep stetching respectively...for decades, and I feel it has helped me evade many injuries had I not.

Using good form is also very important (regardless of age). I go heavy as I always have for REPS, but never attempt a max single...haven't done that in 15 years. Although on a few exercises, ie incline bb press, deads, military press, I will go down to 4-5 reps on my last balls-to-the-wall-set. But my reps are usually 8-12 for most lifts.

I also agree with BSD and LI regarding injuries and form... indeed it CAN happen even with perfect form. I had the exact same thing happen as BSD did...wasn't even close to my last workset and popped my left pec on smith machine inclines (happened on the 8th rep and I normally did 12 rather easily). But when you consider the fact that I have been pumping iron intensely for 30+ years, some shit WILL happen. This is a very physical game we are in.

How having said that, there are indeed certain lifts that I HAD to give-up over the years simply because they cause too much pain, or have caused me serious injuries to the point the cons beat the pros of doing it. One being bb squats...hurts my lower back no matter HOW good my form is. Another would be bb curls, kills my wrists. We are all built biomechanically different, be it ever so subtle. Even at 46 I can still do skullcrushers with some killa weight (2 45's per side EZ bar) when I'm in top form, yet many youngsters can't do them at all due to elbow pain...go figure. It sounds so cliche, but you merely have to find what works for YOU. You need to be able to decipher the difference between good pain & bad pain when doing an exercise. If it hurts in the joint, or something just "doesnt feel right", then drop it.

Specifically addessing your situation regarding your shoulders and the numeorus operations, I would recommend going with alot dumbell work. Using a barbell puts your hands in a fixed position and doesn't allow the freedom that one shoulder might need. I would certainly NEVER do press behind necks thats 100% fosho! Again, this may sound very cliche, but its so true...if it hurts, DON'T DO IT! I wish you luck brutha in staying injury free and enjoy pumping iron!

Comment

Working...