• Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Power lifting lady judge

Posted by Fayde at IT

Judge does weightlifting justice
    Tuesday, February 3, 2004 Posted: 2:31 PM EST (1931 GMT)

Judge Ireland broke the American squat record for her age and weight with a 198-pound lift.

OLYMPIA, Washington (AP) -- This justice gives new meaning to the words "bench press."

State Supreme Court Justice Faith Ireland won her second national powerlifting championship over the weekend, grabbing a spot for herself on the USA Masters Team for world competition.

On Saturday, the 61-year-old justice broke the American squat record for her age and weight with a 198-pound lift. In the deadlift, Ireland set a personal record of 253 pounds.

She's proudest of her 133-pound bench press -- not just because it set another national record, but because she achieved her long-standing personal goal of benching more than her 130-pound weight.

"That's kind of a mark among people who lift weights," the gym-savvy judge explained. "At my age, I'm happy to do it!"

Twenty years ago, Ireland was overweight, out-of-shape and nearly crippled by back pain from a car accident. She started lifting weights about four years ago as physical therapy for her back, and says it has transformed her life.

"Powerlifting has been a personal fountain of youth for me," Ireland said.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
Working...