Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Supplements
User Name
Password

Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
WidowMaker
Vet

WidowMaker has a spectacular aura aboutWidowMaker has a spectacular aura about
Agmatine

What is Agmatine?
Agmatine (or Agmatine Sulfate) is a compound that is normally produced in the human body through a process in which l-arginine is decarboxylated and transformed into Agmatine. Since the compound first garnered attention in 1994, a plethora of research has been performed on Agmatine and its potential physiological and pharmacological effects, which can offer great therapeutic potential. Agamtine has been shown to be of benefit in a variety of areas including blood pressure control, pain reliever and for gut health.

Where Does Agmatine Come From?
As previously mentioned, Agmatine is produced in the body from the action of a particular enzyme which transforms L-Arginine to Agmatine. However, because the activity of that enzyme is rather low, we get a good majority from four other main sources:

Formed and released in high amounts through bacteria in the gut and through pathogens in our body.
Ingested food.
Transformed gastrointestinal cells.
Through circulation from the liver.
Generally meats, fish and shellfish contain high levels of Agmatine. It is also present in fairly high amounts in processed, fermented foods such as beer and sake.
Agmatine Benefits
Agmatine is an interesting compound because it can act as a signal triggering molecule by binding to certain receptors in the body such as the imidazoline receptors and the α2-adrenoreceptors. There are 3 classes of imidazoline receptors and Agmatine can activate all three. Depending on the receptor Agmatine can help to:

Help lower blood pressure
Modulate pain and offer neuroprotection
Regulate insulin release
Agmatine has also shown benefit in acting as an antidepressant and in several animal studies to be a possible therapeutic treatment for cancer, diabetes, brain and spinal cord injuries as well as neuordegenrative conditions such as Alzheimer’s and Dementia.

Agmatine Benefits For Bodybuilding
Agmatine has been used for awhile now in the bodybuilding community as a supplement to help in the quest for increased muscle mass. While Agmatine itself has not been shown to impact muscle mass growth directly, it does offer several benefits which can help in achieving more muscle mass. As a potential strong neurotransmitter, it can improve the mind-muscle connection to improve the contractive efforts of our muscles. Stronger, more directed contractions can help promote improved effectiveness of exercises. Agmatine has also been shown to support release of luteinizing hormone releasing hormone or gonadotropin releasing hormone which is responsible for increasing luteinzing hormone levels. Luteinizing hormone stimulates male Leydig cells to produce testosterone.

In addition, the pain reducing effects of Agmatine can not only be helpful in chronic pain conditions limiting exercise, but may also improve the endurance capacity as pain can often be a limiting factor to performance. Agmatine’s possible ability to regulate insulin production and increase the uptake of glucose may offer benefits for glycogen storage as well as a downgrade in the amount of glucose being transformed into fat.

Agmatine Negatives & Side Effects
Thankfully, Agmatine is relatively safe to use even at high doses and seems to have very low toxicity in cells. In the first clinical trial of Agmatine, there were few side effects however a very small percentage of people experienced mild-moderate diarrhoea and mild nausea. This occurred at a level of over 3.5g/day for over 3 weeks.

Agmatine Recommended Doses & Ingredient Timing
Due to a severe limitation in human studies of Agmatine, there are no conclusive dosing recommendations for Agmatine supplementation. Common Agmatine only supplements suggest a daily dose of around 750mg, however, up to 2.5g/day is tolerable without any known side effects. There are no indications that the timing of supplementation offers any greater benefits.

Agmatine Supplements
Agmatine is often included in test boosters as well as vasodilating supplements such as pre-workouts due to its ability to increase blood vessel size. Agmatine can also be sold as an individual ingredient.

Stacking Agmatine
Agmatine supplements can be stacked with growth hormone boosters to offer a greater ergogenic enhancement or carbohydrate gels to help boost glycogen resynthesis.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
shrivelled

shrivelled is on a distinguished road
love arginine and agmantine both give me great pumps
shrivelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast is on a distinguished road
Agmatine is awesome. Blows l-arginine and AAKG out of the water with what it can do.

Agmatine + citrulline malate is a killer combo.
MidwestBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
RickRock
Board Sponsor

RickRock will become famous soon enough
I use a gram of Agmatine sulfate before every workout. It works wonders for pumps. I love that stuff
Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
caladin

I use 1000-2000mg before workout
Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Young Gotti

Young Gotti is on a distinguished road
i like agmatine but i find i need atleast a gram of it for a consistent result....mrsupps sells their agmatine in 1g caps which makes it easy
Young Gotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
MidwestBeast

I've been using it at 500-600mg upon rising every morning on an empty stomach and the increase in vascularity (even with a slight increase in bf%) is phenomenal. And then I'll use Pump Juice as my pre on lifting or basketball days and get even more then.

10% off your entire order with code: CHEAPER

Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."

"Following Jesus don't mean that there won't be pain
But um, it does promise that none of it is in vain"

- Andy Mineo
Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Augerdog
Vet

Augerdog has a spectacular aura aboutAugerdog has a spectacular aura about
It got me more vascular, as a fat bastard, than winny
Augerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
Thunder
Vet

Thunder will become famous soon enough
I use a gram pre-workout.
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #10
bufbiker

Since I started repping for SERIOUS NUTRITION SYSTEMS I was given some agmatine to try. The stuff is pretty awesome for that full muscle look. A lot like creatine without the bloat.
I highly recommend it.
The only negative for me was some intestinal discomfort. I had to poop a lot the first couple of weeks. But I knew I was full of #°it when I began using it.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
MidwestBeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufbiker View Post
Since I started repping for SERIOUS NUTRITION SYSTEMS I was given some agmatine to try. The stuff is pretty awesome for that full muscle look. A lot like creatine without the bloat.
I highly recommend it.
The only negative for me was some intestinal discomfort. I had to poop a lot the first couple of weeks. But I knew I was full of #°it when I began using it.
I've heard that from a few people, but I've been lucky to not notice any intestinal issues.

I haven't stopped my 500mg agmatine upon rising daily and I will say it's kept me vascular even when I was at a higher bf%. Now that I'm leaner, it's certainly more prominent, but it's pretty telling when it still works at higher bf%'s.

10% off your entire order with code: CHEAPER

Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."

"Following Jesus don't mean that there won't be pain
But um, it does promise that none of it is in vain"

- Andy Mineo