Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Talking What they do vs. what I do LOL

Ok, so I'm a nobody and ain't really done nothing, but the little I've done in the strength world is more than your average gym rat. Two shows, five meets and while 280 at 6' is no Olympia threat I say all that not to impress, but tease the so called hard core who show up with their matching outfits and name brand shaker bottles and yet for all their effort barely break 200 lbs.

What they do,
Eat six meals with macros all counted out
Have some super caffeinated preworkout
Train 60 sets of 20 exercises
Have some super protein post workout shake
Wear their trendy clother with matching shoes

What I do,
Eat three or four big meals of whatever I want
Drink a Gatorade on the way to the gym
Train 2to 4 big lifts and call it good
Have a beer on my way home from the gym, eat some read meat and white starches
Wear some Chuck's, Nike shorts and some sort of novelty t shirt, I have some old school wrestling shirts I like to sport.

Who knows, maybe I'd do better if I did things differently, but the gym bro's results aren't that convincing. Not sure how crazy this looks to you all, but I do know a few other big guys who do things the same way and it is at least an alternative ha ha.
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
If you're getting enough calories in you could eat 3 times a day and be fine. It's just easier for some to break them up into smaller meals so you're not smashing 1.5 lb chicken breast in one sitting. Also if you've been running gear awhile you have to remember that it will pick up some of the slack if there is any. I mean I'm usually under 200 but I choose to stay leaner now than I used to be years ago. I used to do the whole bulk and cut thing, but I just choose to stay relatively lean, even when off. I really don't care about weight, it's more how I look. I'm sure a lot of you guys dwarf me, but my goals are not the same as they once were either.

Last edited by b52; 08-26-2018 at 04:37 PM..
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Hey bro if it works!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Friggemall

Yep, if it works for you then it can’t be wrong
Old 08-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
I took the same approach as you. Still do. I've found that once the foundation is laid after years of busting butt, that I've come to the stage where more is less. I ddon't even post up my numbers any more. I do what I do. Just because you cant and you think you're Billy bad ass doesn't discount what I can do on any given day. And no, I dont feel the need to prove myself to any ody that hasn't seen, because that's not why I do what I do. FTW!
But yeah, I'm right there with you brother.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
Dawgpound_Hank

I'm pretty much with ya Hawk - minus the beer on the way home, and a couple more exercises per workout. I do have a protein shake on the way home from the gym too.

The mind is a funny thing. I have had countless 20's - 30 year olds ask me how to get big. I would tell them. I would then see them again next workout doing the same thing they've always done - countless easy sets, not grinding, on their phone 5 mins between sets, etc. I think some guys get into their "easy groove" and really don't want to change. Hard work doesn't have a huge following.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
If you're getting enough calories in you could eat 3 times a day and be fine. It's just easier for some to break them up into smaller meals so you're not smashing 1.5 lb chicken breast in one sitting. Also if you've been running gear awhile you have to remember that it will pick up some of the slack if there is any. I mean I'm usually under 200 but I choose to stay leaner now than I used to be years ago. I used to do the whole bulk and cut thing, but I just choose to stay relatively lean, even when off. I really don't care about weight, it's more how I look. I'm sure a lot of you guys dwarf me, but my goals are not the same as they once were either.
I get that, I'm done adding size and just focusing on strength. But, it is all about enjoying the journey these days. I think I was thinking that there are all these do's and don'ts that guys follow and maybe the formula is a bit simpler.

Hawk
Old 08-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #8
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughrydr View Post
I took the same approach as you. Still do. I've found that once the foundation is laid after years of busting butt, that I've come to the stage where more is less. I ddon't even post up my numbers any more. I do what I do. Just because you cant and you think you're Billy bad ass doesn't discount what I can do on any given day. And no, I dont feel the need to prove myself to any ody that hasn't seen, because that's not why I do what I do. FTW!
But yeah, I'm right there with you brother.
Mucho respect brother. We should all think that way.

Hawk
Old 08-28-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
I'm pretty much with ya Hawk - minus the beer on the way home, and a couple more exercises per workout. I do have a protein shake on the way home from the gym too.

The mind is a funny thing. I have had countless 20's - 30 year olds ask me how to get big. I would tell them. I would then see them again next workout doing the same thing they've always done - countless easy sets, not grinding, on their phone 5 mins between sets, etc. I think some guys get into their "easy groove" and really don't want to change. Hard work doesn't have a huge following.
I think the issue with the younger generation is that it is now hip to lift. When many of us started we were a much rarer bread. I would say about only 10 to 15% of the guys in my high school class lifted, now it's and elective. So, what you end up with is a lot of chaff with the wheat.

Hawk
Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #10
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_hawk View Post
I get that, I'm done adding size and just focusing on strength. But, it is all about enjoying the journey these days. I think I was thinking that there are all these do's and don'ts that guys follow and maybe the formula is a bit simpler.

Hawk
Oh it definitely is simpler than people make it. You see some guys with every supplement they can get and look horrible. Like c4 pre workout. I know this one idiot who pounds it down but has a crap diet, barely eats and stays out all night drinking. I don't even know why he bothers.
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
Dawgpound_Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
Oh it definitely is simpler than people make it.
It really is. Hard work, eat sleep, repeat. It's that "hard work" part - year in & year out - that separates the men from the boys.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
It really is. Hard work, eat sleep, repeat. It's that "hard work" part - year in & year out - that separates the men from the boys.
And the winner is Hank for hitting it on the head!

Hawk
Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
Consistency is the key. Anybody and be disciplined and work hard for a couple months.

As far as eating discipline, remember the Barbarian brothers? They would eat a half dozen Big Macs. They didn't win high level competition but they were friggin big.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #14
Dawgpound_Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Consistency is the key. Anybody and be disciplined and work hard for a couple months.

As far as eating discipline, remember the Barbarian brothers? They would eat a half dozen Big Macs. They didn't win high level competition but they were friggin big.
Not many used the poundages they did. They were freakin' crazy strong.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #15
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

They were awesome. Lift hard, eat big and rest as much as possible. We may not all attain that size, but we will be on our way to reaching our own potential.

Hawk