Decline vs Incline Bench

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris08

Decline vs Incline Bench

Today i decided to switch back to flat bench to see where i was at as far as strength. Last week i was reppin like 165 on decline bench and put up 175 twice. Now i go back to flat and my numbers were alot lower. I started out with 155 and could barely get that up 4 times. Kept on going down for five sets and on the last set had 135 and got it up 4 times. Is this normal? I think its also pretty weird that i can close grip like 155 for 7 times on the smith bench but can barely put up 155 4 times on the unassisted bench.
  • aries115

How long did you stay off flat bench? Also, with the smith machine, keep in mind that not only does it assist you with the weight you also do not have to use any stabilizing muscles either, you just push. Go to flat bench and see how many close-grips you get and for how much. Also, another thing to consider is the more your body angle (ei, decline, flat, incline) moves toward incline, the more your shoulders, especially front delts are used. maybe you need to get your shoulder strength up? JMO

Comment

• Chris08

I've been off flat bench for at least 2-3 months. I dont think my shoulder strength is lagging, i mean im repping 125 seated shoulder presses so it doesn't seem to me that im lagging there really.

Comment

• reps
        Vet
        • Oct 2007

first off you will always decline more

less distance to push

also more off the auxilliary muscles come into play quicker cus believe it or not the back is used when flaring out to help with bench

so to say that you pressed more on decline then flat is logical if that is what you are asking

if u want a big bench just bench and set a routine up for eight to ten weeks and then max out again then go at it like eigh weeks latA while doing ur normal routine for eight weeks in between you will put on lbs to your bench guaranteed let me know if u want i will set u up on a bench routine

Comment

• Chris08

Originally posted by reps
          first off you will always decline more

less distance to push

also more off the auxilliary muscles come into play quicker cus believe it or not the back is used when flaring out to help with bench

so to say that you pressed more on decline then flat is logical if that is what you are asking

if u want a big bench just bench and set a routine up for eight to ten weeks and then max out again then go at it like eigh weeks latA while doing ur normal routine for eight weeks in between you will put on lbs to your bench guaranteed let me know if u want i will set u up on a bench routine
          Well i'd like to keep doing decline cause i move more weight and i feel i can force reps more easily than on flat. My routine right now is Decline BB(4 sets) Incline DB(3-4sets) and Machine flyes(3 sets)...is there anything wrong with that?

Comment

• Zeus
            • Oct 2007

If you are a beginner you should not be training heavy in the first place. You need to learn proper form first with free weights and not use any machines, I have seen guys that have been training for 20 years and they don't even know how to bench. So once you have your form down on the bench you should train on a rep range of 12 to 15 per set and only train M-W-F you would train your hole body 3 sets and one exercise per body part for 3 days a week with only basic movements.

Once you become more experienced and stronger you can change the routine and find out what works for you as far as a routine goes.

Also some days you will feel strong like a bull in the gym and other days you might feel like a wimp in the gym so you need to learn how to adjust your weights and intensity for that week day.
            Zeus was known for having numerous affairs with mortal women producing even more children including Hercules.

The United States National institute on Aging is funding studies to confirm earlier findings that human growth hormone (HGH) and other hormones, including DHEA (an adrenal hormone) and sex hormones, can slow, stop, and/or possibly reverse the changes associated with aging.

ANTHONY D'AREZZO TRIBUTE
            A good friend of mine, trainer and mentor RIP Anthony

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER

DORIAN YATES

MIKE MENTZER

Comment

• Chris08

Originally posted by Zeus
              If you are a beginner you should not be training heavy in the first place. You need to learn proper form first with free weights and not use any machines, I have seen guys that have been training for 20 years and they don't even know how to bench. So once you have your form down on the bench you should train on a rep range of 12 to 15 per set and only train M-W-F you would train your hole body 3 sets and one exercise per body part for 3 days a week with only basic movements.

Once you become more experienced and stronger you can change the routine and find out what works for you as far as a routine goes.

Also some days you will feel strong like a bull in the gym and other days you might feel like a wimp in the gym so you need to learn how to adjust your weights and intensity for that week day.
              Im no weightlifting expert, but i'd say i've moved on from being a beginner. I've been lifting for two years this november. Why would i train with a 12-15 rep range? That makes no sense for strength.

Comment

• Tbizzle

Originally posted by Chris08
                Im no weightlifting expert, but i'd say i've moved on from being a beginner. I've been lifting for two years this november. Why would i train with a 12-15 rep range? That makes no sense for strength.
                If that is you in your avatar then you are a beginner. And 2 yrs of lifting is still a beginner.

Comment

• mrhtbd

If you insist on training heavy then pick a weight you can do 5 sets of 5 with on the bench. Follow that with 4 sets of 8 reps on the incline bench (using the same weight for each set, not the same weight as on the bench.) After you can get all 5x5 in two workouts, add 5lbs to each side and start over. You will see your strength increase sequentially.

Comment

• John Benz
                    Vet
                    • Jan 2004

Declines are worthless in my opinion and if you're having trouble with flat bench you need to drop some weight and go a little slower. If that is you in your avatar, you are still a novice my friend. No insult meant.

Flat barbell bench press builds more total upper body and core strength than anything except deads and squats. Some guys are built more for the bench. My old friend FLAT_TOP is 5'6" and as thick as a fire plug, with short arms and perfect tendon insertions. He benches 450 with no shirt and at a weight of about 220. Never feels any shoulder pain.

When I hit 335 lb flat bench nearly 20 years ago, I had to slow down. My shoulders have never been the same. I still do flat bench, but incline is my favorite chest movement. I've never seen a bodybuilder with an overdeveloped upper chest.

Comment

• Big Donkey

yep, that's how it goes sometimes. Don't over analyze it. If you have to bench less weight to get in 8-12 reps, then do it. You are going for size and muscle and not really the powerlifter type right? If I have to step it down, i check my ego in at the door and get in a good workout, even if it is lighter weight than before.

Now if I drop in weight or reps on a certain exercise two weeks in a row, I ditch that exercise and pick a new one for the muscle group.

Comment

• Zeus
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Chris08
                        That answer reminds me of myself when I was in school, young dumb, and full of cum.

If I told you that the biggest, and strongest men of this planet train most of the time on a 12 to 15 rep range would you believe me?

The human body is not a machine it can not handle low rep high intensity training day in and day out.

And in your case since you are a beginner you are just asking for big problems injuries on top of injuries, listen and learn don't act like a know it all.
                        Zeus was known for having numerous affairs with mortal women producing even more children including Hercules.

The United States National institute on Aging is funding studies to confirm earlier findings that human growth hormone (HGH) and other hormones, including DHEA (an adrenal hormone) and sex hormones, can slow, stop, and/or possibly reverse the changes associated with aging.

ANTHONY D'AREZZO TRIBUTE
                        A good friend of mine, trainer and mentor RIP Anthony

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER

DORIAN YATES

MIKE MENTZER

Comment

• JrMaFia
                          BANNED for being a JETS fan
                          • Oct 2007

i heard decline is to much pressing movement in a routine if u are doing incline and flat. ALot of stress on shoulder
                          Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Goddamn they don't make em' like they used to.
                          Cassidy: Fuckin' 80's man, best shit ever !
                          Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Bet'chr ass man, Guns N' Roses! Rules.
                          Cassidy: Crue!
                          Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Yeah!
                          Cassidy: Def Lep!
                          Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Then that Cobain pussy had to come around & ruin it all.
                          Cassidy: Like theres something wrong, why not just have a good time?
                          Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: I'll tell you somethin', I hate the fuckin' 90's.

Comment

• Scotsmark
                            VET
                            • Apr 2005

I find that decline bench uses more triceps than shoulders.
                            I'd like to see your whole training routine, do you do dips? what do you do for shoulders & triceps?
                            You have to remember that bench pressing is not just about working the pecs!
                            Last edited by Scotsmark; 10-23-2007, 04:54 PM. Reason: spacky fingers making typos!

Comment

• Chris08

Originally posted by Zeus
                              That answer reminds me of myself when I was in school, young dumb, and full of cum.

If I told you that the biggest, and strongest men of this planet train most of the time on a 12 to 15 rep range would you believe me?

The human body is not a machine it can not handle low rep high intensity training day in and day out.

And in your case since you are a beginner you are just asking for big problems injuries on top of injuries, listen and learn don't act like a know it all.
                              dude im not tryin to act like a know it all. when you said "if your a beginner" i took that as me being a complete newb to weightlifting(i guess you think i am but whatever i dont think i am)

Originally posted by Scotsmark
                              I find that decline bench uses more triceps than shoulders.
                              I'd like to see your whole training routine, do you do dips? what do you do for shoulders & triceps?
                              You have to remember that bench pressing is not just about working the pecs!
                              week in and out its usually something like this

Chest-
                              Decline presses(4-5 sets) i guess switching it out for flat?
                              Incline Db presses(3 sets)
                              machine flyes(3 sets)

Triceps-
                              Smith Close grip(3-4 sets)
                              some sort of pushdown(3 sets)
                              Hammer strength dips(3 sets)

Shoulders-
                              Seated BB presses(4 sets)
                              Shrugs(3-4 sets)
                              Lateral Raises(3 sets)

Comment

Working...