X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrhtbd

Best shoulder routine

How do I make my shoulders grow?
    1. Don't go to failure, period!
    Going to failure on shoulders is riduculous, they are a small muscle group and have the unique distinction of being both a pushing and a pulling muscle group.
    Here's the best combo I have used in the last 25 years.
    1. Seated behind the neck press. Wide grip, 5x5 with whatever weight makes you struggle the last two sets. Use the same weight throughout all 5 sets
    2. standing high pulls, preferably with a smith machine (less swinging, better line, more specific emphasis on the shoulder muscles instead of the back). Do 5x8. Keep the weight no more than 4 inches from the front of your body, let your wrists "hang" and pull your elbows up to your ears. Always pull with the elbows with upright rows. Too many people turn this into a reverse curling movement=mistake.
    3. Standing laterals using an olympic plate (10 pounders are sufficient). Hook your fingers through the holes and turn your thumbs forward and down at the top. Keep a slight bend at the elbow and go at least up to in line with your ears.
    Why such a light weight? Because most people don't adequately work their shoulders and by going too heavy on laterals they inadvertently work their traps and other bigger muscles. The lateral delt is small, so in order to specifically work it, do your heavy stuff with the presses and rows, then you can finish the muscle with laterals.
    PS: My shoulders are over 25 inches wide.
  • OKMEDIC
    • Oct 2007

Good info.. I have noticed the emphasis on the delts with the lighter weights. The traps def get more work the heavier I go.. I just started this and am looking forward to seeing the difference.

How do you feel about drop sets with laterals? A friend loves doing them about every
    4th or 6th week. He can never tell me why. A shock to the system is my best guess but I"m still not sure on that one. I just don't know how I feel about drop sets on smaller muscle groups..
    The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of only one hour.

Comment

• OLYMPIAN

preach..show me a guy that bench presses 400 lbs with terrible form and then show another dude that uses only 200 but brings the weight down in control ,holds it for 2 second and squeezes his pecs on the weight up rather than lifting it with his shoulders and tris and then tell me who has better pectoral development.

Comment

• meateater

Originally posted by OLYMPIAN
        preach..show me a guy that bench presses 400 lbs with terrible form and then show another dude that uses only 200 but brings the weight down in control ,holds it for 2 second and squeezes his pecs on the weight up rather than lifting it with his shoulders and tris and then tell me who has better pectoral development.

Comment

• OLYMPIAN

fail..link doesnt work

Comment

• OLYMPIAN

are you seriously gonna tell me that fat fuck has a better chest in terms of development everywhere than ..pffttt.. lets say Sagi kalev..and he is not even a IFBB pro nor a competitor ..just a fitness model.

Comment

• meateater

are you seriously gonna tell me that fat fuck has a better chest in terms of development...

nope.... just wanted to post it, beefytits

Comment

• OLYMPIAN

ROFL...rhymin as usual.

Comment

• meateater

ROFL...rhymin as usual.
                  word

Comment

• rippedfreak
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2005

i needa try some of these....start tomorrow

Comment

• rippedfreak
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2005

good shit MR

Comment

• mrhtbd

Originally posted by OKMEDIC
                        Good info.. I have noticed the emphasis on the delts with the lighter weights. The traps def get more work the heavier I go.. I just started this and am looking forward to seeing the difference.

How do you feel about drop sets with laterals? A friend loves doing them about every
                        4th or 6th week. He can never tell me why. A shock to the system is my best guess but I"m still not sure on that one. I just don't know how I feel about drop sets on smaller muscle groups..
                        Drop sets are good every 5 or six weeks, no sooner, and I wouldn't be doing heavy barbell presses or rows on that day either. I used to do 12 sets of 8, 6 up and 6 down, up and down, up and down the rack. My top weight used was 65 lbs for 8.
                        I went from 30 up to 65 then back in 5 lb increments, but even then, I mostly noticed my traps doing the work. Doing this is good to tie in the delts to the neck.

Comment

• meateater

For ME, I do NO exercises "behind the neck"...in fact, I used to do plenty of them back in the day (chins, presses, pulldowns) and believe that they, along with heavy wide grip benching wrecked my shoulders......when I do flat presses, I always use dumbells and do military press to the front....JMO, not hatin bitches.

Comment

• Pikaberdot

BTN movements put a lot of stress on your rotator cuff. You can't go below "ear level" when doing any movement behind the neck, especially a push movement. Also, lat pulldowns (pull movement) should never be done BTN.

Comment

• Thate
                              Vet
                              • Mar 2007

if bodyfat is the same, the 400lb bencher is going to have development imo. The weight is too far spread apart, I bet rf can bench 200 for reps.

Comment

Working...