Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Diet and Nutrition
User Name
Password

Old 01-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
clutchitalian

clutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of light
Low carb diet Killing me!!

I've been going low carb for the past 2 weeks prob under 25-30 grams a day and 1 carb up day.. I've been having really low energy especially at work.. I'm dropping weight but have no intensity at the gym... I'm about to start running cyp 500mg a week... my test is very low from crashing months ago I never got a chance to run pct..I'm gonna start a high protein/moderate carb n fat diet when I start running cyp I wanna build lean muscle and drop fat...it's goin good so far I'm prob gonna start a log....
clutchitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I never drop below 100 grams of carbs.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
That's too low bud. Your body prefers to burn carbs. You need them. You probably have no glycogen stores in your muscles. You need to give them something to fuel your workouts. And why no pct? Should be a priority. Messing with your hormones is no joke. Have everything on hand this time around or be able to get it asap if needed.

Last edited by b52; 01-01-2018 at 01:37 PM..
b52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
clutchitalian

clutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of light
Ya normally I do but the circumstances last year caused me to stop suddenly and not have access to put but yes starting tomorrow I am going to throw carbs in there just not too many....
Old 01-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
Dawgpound_Hank

I have friends who made dramatic changes utilizing low carb. You just gotta man up - nobody said it's easy, especially if you're one who loves carbs. I did it for a minute myself a couple months back to get the work pants to not feel so tight haha. My main carbs was first meal of bran cereal & banana. The rest of the day was either chicken/ground turkey/red meat with broccoli/asparagus/salad. Low carbs does work. For those that disagree, tell it to the 70's - early 80's bb era.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
Dawgpound_Hank

Also much easier to do low carbs when on cycle. Low carbs makes getting a good pump diificult. Gear counters that heavily.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #7
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
I have friends who made dramatic changes utilizing low carb. You just gotta man up - nobody said it's easy, especially if you're one who loves carbs. I did it for a minute myself a couple months back to get the work pants to not feel so tight haha. My main carbs was first meal of bran cereal & banana. The rest of the day was either chicken/ground turkey/red meat with broccoli/asparagus/salad. Low carbs does work. For those that disagree, tell it to the 70's - early 80's bb era.
Low carbs work, no carbs doesn't unless you want to burn muscle. 25-30g is too low IMO. You gotta have some glycogen, to fuel the workout. I think I was doing minimum 75-100g when I was cutting, and that was rough.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #8
clutchitalian

This week I'm just adding 1/2 cup of brown rice to 2nd 3rd 4th meals of the day for now. I'm starting cyp tomorrow and going food shopping so I will adjust it accordingly....
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
Dawgpound_Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
Low carbs work, no carbs doesn't unless you want to burn muscle. 25-30g is too low IMO. You gotta have some glycogen, to fuel the workout. I think I was doing minimum 75-100g when I was cutting, and that was rough.

The body will burn fat for energy when needed. Not only did sub-200 lb guys (your weight range) go very low carb, but so did Arnold, Robby and other 200+ lb monsters take in much less than 100g carbs (according to Ric Draisin).

I'm not saying one can't get cut on higher carbs. They rarely did cardio in the 70's & basically their long, high volume workouts had a cardio effect. But I also don't agree that one needs at least 100g of carbs ed. They did it - for many years - they are proof.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #10
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
I personally think we all have a zone. It takes time to find it. My last cut I was able to nail it and had enough energy for workouts and still managed to really cut the bf. If you do it just right it isn't as miserable. I agree with bran as a source for you carbs too. It keeps your digestive tract moving and that can help a ton with lowering bf.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
Glycomann

Keto works great for my wife. Me, the metabolism stalls. I did it for 5 weeks recently and did not cheat once. I lost a grand total of 7 lbs. I ran a deficit of 500-1000 cals a day. I went off it for the Thanksgiving holiday and put on 14 lbs in as many days. Then I took that off in 3 weeks before Christmas using low carb and less deficit. Many years ago I did a rotation diet where fats, carbs and protein were cycled. That worked really well. Never did it again though.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
b52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
The body will burn fat for energy when needed. Not only did sub-200 lb guys (your weight range) go very low carb, but so did Arnold, Robby and other 200+ lb monsters take in much less than 100g carbs (according to Ric Draisin).

I'm not saying one can't get cut on higher carbs. They rarely did cardio in the 70's & basically their long, high volume workouts had a cardio effect. But I also don't agree that one needs at least 100g of carbs ed. They did it - for many years - they are proof.

But those guys were on stuff too to counter the effect of the diet. Fat is the last thing to burn. Carbs, protein, then fat. Not saying it won't work but you are going to burn some muscle at such low carbs. I speak for myself and dId it natty. Maybe it doesn't apply to everyone. Maybe the amount of muscle burned is negligible but it's hard for me to pack it on so I don't want to lose any so I stay at a safe range with cardio. My workouts also change like you stated. Higher volume, less rest in between sets. Gets your heart pumping. I personally don't agree with it. Just my .02 I dropped 17 lbs in 12 weeks before I was even on anything. You just gotta dial it in and weigh everything.

Last edited by b52; 01-03-2018 at 04:16 PM..
Old 01-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #13
Dawgpound_Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
But those guys were on stuff too to counter the effect of the diet. Fat is the last thing to burn. Carbs, protein, then fat. Not saying it won't work but you are going to burn some muscle at such low carbs. I speak for myself and dId it natty. Maybe it doesn't apply to everyone. Maybe the amount of muscle burned is negligible but it's hard for me to pack it on so I don't want to lose any so I stay at a safe range with cardio. My workouts also change like you stated. Higher volume, less rest in between sets. Gets your heart pumping. I personally don't agree with it. Just my .02 I dropped 17 lbs in 12 weeks before I was even on anything. You just gotta dial it in and weigh everything.
Oh yeah they were definitely on the sauce, which makes it easier bigtime - regarding pumps on low carbs, being anti catabolic, and more umpph in the gym. If I were doing it natty I wouldn't go too low. I was considering what clutch said about running a cycle. MUCH easier to hold on to muscle when on obviously.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #14
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
For me personally my body reacts much better to the way b52 says he diets. I'm toast under 100 grams cutting, normally I cut well with approx 100 to 125 grams carbs ed, no cycling required. Right now I'm staying relatively lean with 200-225 grams carbs ed and 250 grams protein. My current bodywt is 180 lbs.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #15
BrutalHoney
VET

BrutalHoney will become famous soon enough
Maybe the OP dove in too fast... And maybe the OP's body hasn't adjusted to it yet?
BrutalHoney is offline   Reply With Quote