How Much Sleep Do You Really Need?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -JP-

I still think the bodybuilder needs more sleep. This study obviously needs to take more into account but interested to see what they find after its completed.

By Laura Blue

Sleep is one of the richest topics in science today: why we need it, why it can be hard to get, and how that affects everything from our athletic performance to our income. Daniel Kripke, co-director of research at the Scripps Clinic Sleep Center in La Jolla, Calif., has looked at the most important question of all. In 2002, he compared death rates among more than 1 million American adults who, as part of a study on cancer prevention, reported their average nightly amount of sleep. To many, his results were surprising, but they've since been corroborated by similar studies in Europe and East Asia. Kripke explains.

Q: How much sleep is ideal?

A: Studies show that people who sleep between 6.5 hr. and 7.5 hr. a night, as they report, live the longest. And people who sleep 8 hr. or more, or less than 6.5 hr., they don't live quite as long. There is just as much risk associated with sleeping too long as with sleeping too short. The big surprise is that long sleep seems to start at 8 hr. Sleeping 8.5 hr. might really be a little worse than sleeping 5 hr..

Morbidity [or sickness] is also "U-shaped" in the sense that both very short sleep and very long sleep are associated with many illnesses—with depression, with obesity—and therefore with heart disease—and so forth. But the [ideal amount of sleep] for different health measures isn't all in the same place. Most of the low points are at 7 or 8 hr., but there are some at 6 hr. and even at 9 hr. I think diabetes is lowest in 7-hr. sleepers [for example]. But these measures aren't as clear as the mortality data.

I think we can speculate [about why people who sleep from 6.5 to 7.5 hr. live longer], but we have to admit that we don't really understand the reasons. We don't really know yet what is cause and what is effect. So we don't know if a short sleeper can live longer by extending their sleep, and we don't know if a long sleeper can live longer by setting the alarm clock a bit earlier. We're hoping to organize tests of those questions.

One of the reasons I like to publicize these facts is that I think we can prevent a lot of insomnia and distress just by telling people that short sleep is O.K. We've all been told you ought to sleep 8 hr., but there was never any evidence. A very common problem we see at sleep clinics is people who spend too long in bed. They think they should sleep 8 or 9 hr., so they spend [that amount of time] in bed, with the result that they have trouble falling asleep and wake up a lot during the night. Oddly enough, a lot of the problem [of insomnia] is lying in bed awake, worrying about it. There have been many controlled studies in the U.S., Great Britain and other parts of Europe that show that an insomnia treatment that involves getting out of bed when you're not sleepy and restricting your time in bed actually helps people to sleep more. They get over their fear of the bed. They get over the worry, and become confident that when they go to bed, they will sleep. So spending less time in bed actually makes sleep better. It is in fact a more powerful and effective long-term treatment for insomnia than sleeping pills.
  • Scotsmark
    VET
    • Apr 2005

If I get less than 6, whether I'm training or not, I'll fall asleep during the day. I get a minimum of 8 hours when I'm at home, sometimes more than 10!
    When I'm at work though, I sometimes get called out after only a few hours, have to stay up for a couple then I'll get maybe 6-8 hours back.
    I'm lucky, I can fall asleep anytime, anywhere.

Comment

• meateater

7-9

Comment

• rippedfreak
        Banned
        • Dec 2005

6-7 for me is fine

Comment

• Ms.Wetback

Originally posted by rippedfreak
          6-7 for me is fine
          Agreed .......same for me.

Comment

• rippedfreak
            Banned
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ms.Wetback
            Agreed .......same for me.
            were meant to be

Comment

• cjas
              • May 2006

8 or more. I love to sleep.

Comment

• Forkboy

somtimes i force myself to sleep and not to wake up just to get the goal of 8hours sleep a day. but by forcing it it gives me anxious which worst i cant sleep anymore thats why i just let them be when feel sleepy i sleep, i get 6 to 7 hours of sleep a day as what lil wayne said its fine

Comment

• GetBigger

i hate getting anything less then 10 hours

Comment

• rippedfreak
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Forkboy
                    somtimes i force myself to sleep and not to wake up just to get the goal of 8hours sleep a day. but by forcing it it gives me anxious which worst i cant sleep anymore thats why i just let them be when feel sleepy i sleep, i get 6 to 7 hours of sleep a day as what lil wayne said its fine
                    kisses sweet heart

Comment

• Cryptix

Originally posted by -JP-
                      A: Studies show that people who sleep between 6.5 hr. and 7.5 hr. a night, as they report, live the longest. And people who sleep 8 hr. or more, or less than 6.5 hr., they don't live quite as long. There is just as much risk associated with sleeping too long as with sleeping too short. The big surprise is that long sleep seems to start at 8 hr. Sleeping 8.5 hr. might really be a little worse than sleeping 5 hr..

what the study doesn't take into account is the lifestyles of people who sleep longer or shorter than the average 7.5 hours. people who sleep too little may often be stressed out a lot (increase in stress hormones and anxiety makes them live shorter instead of the actual amount of sleep they get). at the opposite end of the spectrum people who sleep a long time may be lazy people (poor diet etc. contributing to shorter life).

i'd like to see a lot more research in this area, if even for the fact that it occupies about 30% of our time in a given 24hour period.

I sleep about 7 hpurs a day. sometimes a lot less, sometimes a lot more. but on average about 7

Comment

• CO-B16
                        Vet
                        • May 2004

I normally get about 5.5-6.5 hours on work days(work graveyard shift), and i get around 9-10 on non working days.....Im the kind of person that can sleep for 12+ if allowed.....
                        THIS POST IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

YO MOMMA

Comment

• Jester
                          VET
                          • May 2004

I get 2 tops.... maybe 3 times a day/night.
                          damn 8 years of shift work is killing... literally

Comment

• rippedfreak
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2005

3 hours jes???jesus bro..that must be errible..are you accustom to it already?

Comment

• Jester
                              VET
                              • May 2004

no.... it's probably the worst it has been in the past few years.
                              ambien and lunesta sound like a "wonder drug"... but they eventually lose their effectiveness after a year or so of continuous use.
                              Right now... my only option is to stop them cold turkey.
                              So, if over the next few days I seem like more of an asshole than my usual self... you know why. LOL

Comment

Working...