This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTAaron

PTAaron's DC Training Journal

I'm glad to see a journal section on here... guess that means I have to start posting my journal

A bit of background:
    My name is Aaron, I'm 29 years old and I have been weight training for 13 or 14 years now... I was 130-140lbs at 6 feet tall when I started... currently I am 6'1" and 242lbs. I have been following the DoggCrapp workout program for a bit over a year now, and I have gained at least 30lbs in that time without following the diet component very well. Currently I plan to have In-Human train me starting in November so I can nail the diet portion down and get up to 250-260lbs lean - which I think would be a pretty good goal for a natural trainee who started out as scrawny as I did!

When reading my journal you may notice that I tend to go off on tangents - and have a lot of "drama" happening in my life... yup... thats the way things have been going lately... you'll probably pick up on that

Also - you may notice that I use some potentially confusing notations... I'll clarify those here: RP indicates that the set was done "rest paused"; LT indicates the weight I did last time the exercise came up in the rotation; TT indicates what I did this time.

My workout schedule looks like this:
    I currently lift on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays with cardio days being every day that I'm not training with weights.

Split goes like this:
    Mon: cardio
    Tues: chest/delts/tris/back width/back thickness
    Wed: cardio
    Thurs: Bis/Forearms/Calves/Hams/Quads
    Fri: cardio
    Sat: Chest/delts/tris/back width/back thickness
    Sun: cardio
    Mon: cardio
    Tues: Bis/Forearms/Calves/hams/quads
    wed: cardio
    Thurs: Chest/delts/tris/back width/back thickness
    Fri: cardio
    Sat: Bis/Forearms/Calves/hams/Quads
    and so on...

Right now I am just starting a 1.5 week cruise period due to some issues affecting my eating/sleeping and making it had to maintain the intensity needed for this program... but I will go ahead and post my last 3 workouts. If anyone has any questions along the way, feel free to ask

Enjoy!
  • PTAaron

9/4/05 - chest/delts/tris/back width/back thickness

(From 9/4/05)

Workout

Hammer Strength Wide Bench:
    LT: 175 each side x 13 RP
    TT: 180 each side x 12 RP

Stretch with 105lb dumbells

Standing Overhead Press:
    LT: 135 x 12 RP
    TT: 145 x 9 RP
    *oops. should have gone up 5 lbs... or stayed with the same weight and got more reps.

Stretch

Rope Tricep Pressdowns:
    LT: 13.5 plates x 13 RP
    TT: 14 plates x 18 RP !!

Stretch

Front Pulldown:
    LT: 15 plates x 13 RP + Static hold
    TT: 15 plates x 14 RP + static hold

Rack Deads:
    LT: 455 x 2; 365 x 10
    TT: 455 x 1; 385 x 6
    *Okay... so I suck at these now... Tried for rep 2 (and 3) with 455 and thought I was gonna crap my shorts! I actually went into the locker room to make sure... *lol* Going back to floor deads next rotation.

Stretch

Notes:
    As I said - I sucked at Rack Deads... Pretty happy with everything else though - even though I didnt' make my reps on overhead press, that was only because of too big of a jump.
    The end.

Comment

• PTAaron

9/6/05 bis/forearms/calves/hams/quads

(from 9/6/05)

Workout

Icarian Bicep Curl:
      LT: 130 x 13 RP
      TT: 130 x 14 RP

Rope Hammer Curl (4-6 second negative each rep):
      LT: 12 plates x 12 straight set
      TT: 12.5 plates x 10 straight set

Stretch

Leg Press Calf Raise (5 second negative, 15 second stretch each rep):
      LT: 360 x 10
      TT: 360 x 8

Prone Cybex Hamstring Curl:
      LT: 180 x 13 RP
      TT: 180 x 14 RP

Leg Press:
      left knee was hurting quite a bit during warmup - decided not to push my luck.

Notes:
      I'm going to start a 2 week cruise period right away. I am just under way too much emotional stress at the moment, and it is really starting to wear on me. I am not getting enough sleep, and I'm definitely not eating like I should - so it makes sense to drop the workouts back a bit.

Comment

• PTAaron

9/8/05 - chest/delts/tris/back width/back thickness

(from 9/8/05)

First day of my forced cruise period... felt really good actually... Going for straight sets of 15 with relatively light weights - 1 rep short of failure (in some cases this happened before 15). The plan from here out is this: 1 and a half weeks of cruising... 5 weeks of blasting it heavy as possible and eating everything in sight... then I go to mexico for 1 week to an all inclusive resort - the following week will also be a cruise week... then if In-Human can fit me in (we talked, looks like it could happen) I'll start training with him for the next 2 months or so.
        Anyway...

Workout
        (straight sets, not to failure - I'll include info from last blast workout as well)
        (LT=Last Time TT=This Time RP=Rest Paused)

Decline Barbell Bench:
        LT: 265 x 11 RP
        TT: 225 x 14 straight set

Smith Machine Behind the Head Press:
        LT: 155 x 12 RP
        TT: 125 x 15 straight set

Smith Machine Close Grip BP:
        LT: 175 x 14 RP
        TT: 145 x 15 straight set

Galileo Pulldown Machine:
        LT: 14 plates x 15 RP
        TT: 11 plates x 13 straight set

Supported T-Bar Row:
        LT: 135 x 9 straight set (to failure)
        TT: 100 x 16 straight set

NOTES:
        Umm... guess I put the notes up at the top... so please refer to those

Comment

• PTAaron

suppliments

My current suppliment routine:

first thing in am: glucosamine/chondritin, 1000mg vitamin C; Vit. E capsule (forgot dosage), multivitamin

pre-workout: shake with: 75g WPC, 1 package plain oats, 5g arginine, 10g glutamine, 5g creatine mono all mixed in water. 3g creatine ethyl ester.

post workout: shake with: 75g WPC, 75g dextrose/malto mix; 5g arginine, 5g glutamine, 5g creatine mono. 3g creatine ethyl ester.

Bedtime: glucosamine/chondritin; multivitamin; melatonin; True Protein bedtime protein blend shake (75g protein).

That about sums it up... Also been throwing in 1-2qts of green tea per day... and occasionally I will add in Lipo-6 to get the metabolism sped up a bit more.

Comment

• PTAaron

Okay... last post for today... For those unfamiliar with the DC program - you will only see each exercise I do come up once every 2 weeks because the workouts rotate through a set of 3 exercises per bodypart, a different exercise each time it comes up. One exercise per body part, 1 rest paused set per exercise (in most cases, except where you see straight sets). For more info on the program, please contact inhuman or doggcrapp...

Comment

• irongirl

Nice!! Strong frigger aren't ya?!! I train DC style too and love it. Wow, you'll be a beast after IH finishes with you!!

What is a Icarian bicep curl?

Comment

• PTAaron

Thanks irongirl
                At first DC made no sense to me - until I tried it... now I would never go back to volume training! I can't wait to work with IH... I'm a little worried about having to buy all new clothes again though!

Icarian is just the brand of the bicep curl machine. I have a hard time progressing my biceps, so I do mainly machine work for then because it allows smaller increases in weight.

Comment

• PTAaron

Second workout of the 'cruise' period... training straight sets, not to failure...

Workout:

Cable Bicep Curl:
                  10.5 plates x 15, x 10

Reverse Grip Cable Curl (1 arm):
                  3.5 plates x 15

stretch

Cybex plate loaded 45 degree calf raise:
                  270 x 15 (3 sets)

Barbell Squat - ass to the floor:
                  225 x 5

Knee Extensions:
                  155 x 21
                  *I know... isolation exercise... and it is bad for the knees... but the pump from light weight and high reps feels great!

Seated Ham Curl:
                  125 x 17

Notes:
                  Quick and easy... I was heading out the door and I could still taste my pre-workout shake ... strange.

Comment

• goes4ever
                    • Sep 2004

awesome, I will be following this journal daily bro

Comment

• irongirl

Aaron, when you cruise, what exactly is the plan? The same every workout? Still just the one exercise with light weight and high reps? Do you shoot for a certain number? And do you change any of the exercises from your blast phase? Could you do say, 2 exercises per bodypart?

LOL..sorry for all the questions!! I have strayed a little following DC, so I want to get it back on track after the show is over. AND take my cruises when I am supposed to. I tend NOT to do that

Comment

• PTAaron

g4e: Thanks for stopping by man, I'll try to keep it interesting

irongirl: cruise phase you drop 1 meal per day, and switch to straight sets - the recommendation I have read is 15 reps, going to just before failure.
                        Typically I will do the same program I do on my blast phase, just switch it up to 1 set of 15 not to failure. Last workout there I ended up doing 2 sets on biceps because I just wanted to really feel them. The goal is rest, recovery, maintaining what you gained, and possibly dropping some BF - so I probably wouldn't go 2 exercises per bodypart. I have found that when I cruise and do too much - I don't come back as strong. When I cruise and keep it more reasonable, I come back as strong as when I ended the blast if not stronger on some things. It is also a great time to 'audition' new exercises to see if you want to add them... Sometimes I will go in and do an entire workout that is all new exercises...
                        Biggest thing is take the cruises as soon as you start noticing that you are not making reps and it doesn't look like it is a fluke - that is where knowing your body comes into play.
                        Anyway... thanks for stopping by, and I'm happy to answer questions if I know the answer

Today is going to be cardio - 6 mile bike ride on trails.

Comment

• PTAaron

Cardio... ugh... haven't done cardio in probably 3 weeks now for various reasons - mostly to do with spending too much time with the ex-wife (which is all over and done with now)...
                          I decided a great way to get back into it would be doing a 6 mile bike ride on a path that is mostly out in the sun when it is 82 outside

So... cardio: 6 mile bike ride outside - I forgot to check my end time, so I don't know how fast I went.
                          There were quite a few really annoying people out there - large groups of kids with parents that were taking up both lanes so you couldn't pass, and then ignoring you when you say "passing on the left"... those were EVERYWHERE today... also on the biggest downhill I had a rollerblader that was coming up the hill cut over right in front of me as I was going about 20mph - I had to swerve off into the gravel on the side of the path so I didn't smash into them. Ugh... stupid people!
                          Okay... calm down...

So just a bit of random non-workout related info: I am going to have a student starting up on Monday at work - this is her final clinical rotation of her last year in the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.... so once she gets oriented to the clinic my job is going to get much easier I'm a bit nervous about it though... they are learning a lot more in depth advanced techiniques than we learned in school (was only a Master of Physical Therapy when I did it) - so I am thinking that at this point I'll be learning as much or more from her than she learns from me!
                          Okay... shower time!

Comment

• future

Love your journal bro! Detailed and concise.

Comment

• PTAaron

Thanks Shawn!!

Today was the first day with my new student - she hasn't done any new patient evaluations on her own... so this is gonna be more work than I planned! She's a fast learner though... should be a good experience

Comment

Working...