This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTAaron

PTAaron's "I feel like a newbie again" Training Log

Okay - I just started a new "blast" phase last week - I'm finally getting close to where my strength was a year ago before my surgery. I haven't been keeping a log over here, because I wasn't getting much in the way of feedback on my old log - but I'm going to keep this one up to date.

My right shoulder (the one I had surgery on) is great - no more real issues with it aside from some lost mobility that may or may not come back. Lately I have been dealing with issues with my left knee and my left shoulder. For the last few weeks of my last blast phase I hadn't been able to do squats because of knee pain, but that seems to be getting better.

I'm going to copy and paste the first few workouts of the blast phase into this journal, then continue to update it every day.

Originally from March 12th:

New 'Blast' phase started today... complete with massive eating on a ridiculous scale followed by massive bloating and the button on my pants popping off! No joke! Apparently I didn't get in quite enough solid food this morning, so things kind of "exploded" when they got through my stomach... LOL!!

Anyway - weighed myself today and I was 242lbs... a result of cutting out a meal a day as required for a blast phase, not drinking enough fluids (dehydrated), and not being able to eat very much because I was sick and had no appetite. If you recall from my old journal I was 250-252lbs 2 weeks ago.

My full workout log outline that I am following this blast period is online here: http://www.ptaaron.com/aaronworkout.xls if anyone wants to see the full details. That is what I have printed out and have in my logbook every time I hit the gym. It includes my goal reps and all that fun info if anyone cares to get into too much detail with how I do my workouts.

GOALS THIS TIME:
    1) I will not miss a meal this blast period. I had some issues last blast period with not preparing enough food ahead of time, that will not happen this time. I have things planned out very specifically and the plan is a lot easier to follow.
    2) I will do at least 2 days of cardio every week. The goal is 4 days of cardio, but 2 will be an improvement over what I have been doing.
    3) I will drink enough fluids every day! I have resumed the drinking of 2 quarts of green tea per day in addition to my attempted consumption of 1 gallon of water.
    4) I will set personal records on every exercise this blast period. I will beat all of the numbers I set as personal bests when I was training under the guidance of In-Human just prior to my shoulder surgery. I will indicate each PR in my training log with a red *.
    5) I will see veins in my quads by the end of the blast phase. I will keep my diet and cardio in check, the veins will be showing by the time this blast phase ends.

Thats about it... time for me to go have my last meal and get myself to bed.
  • PTAaron

Workout 1 - Rotation 1 (Setting Baselines) 3/12/07
    First workout of the new blast phase - no "Last Time" numbers.

Incline Barbell Bench Press:
    195lbs x 16 Rest Paused

EZ Curl Triceps:
    105lbs x 12 Rest Paused

Smith Machine Shoulder Press:
    165lbs x 12 Rest Paused

Rack Chins to the Front:
    +45lbs x 17 Rest Paused

Close Grip Cable Row:
    13 plates x 12 straight set

NOTES:
    First workout of the new "Blast" phase... During my cruise period (the last 2 weeks) I only went to the gym one time to do weights - and that wasn't a real workout. I wasn't expecting this first workout to be super impressive, but I was pretty pleased with it. I did my inclines with 10lbs less than at the end of last blast, triceps were the same weight, shoulder press 10lbs less, rack chins 5lbs less, and rows were the same weight.
    I am STILL having the sharp pain in my left shoulder though... It started on the last workout of the last blast period while doing declines, and it didn't seem to go away during my 2 weeks of resting. Of course I was sick for over half of that 'rest' time, so I'm sure that didn't help. The pain was only with doing inclines... shoulder press felt FINE. :-/ Today at work Tracy stretched the heck out of my shoulder for me - it is REALLY tight apparently... and it feels a lot better already. We're going to stick with stretching the hell out of it every day for a while and see what happens. Friday I plan to do declines again, and that will be the real test.

As far as the plan for this blast - I'll post that seperately in a second

Comment

• PTAaron

Workout 2 - Rotation 1 (Setting Baselines)- 3/14/07
      No "Last Time" numbers ... first time doing this one this blast period.

Preacher Curl:
      70lbs + bar x 16 RP

Dumbell Hammer Curl:
      45lbs x 10 RP (6 second negatives)

Leg Press Calves:
      255lbs + sled x 12 (DC Style) *
      New PR on this leg press machine. I have done more weight, but on a completely different machine so I don't know if it is accurate to compare.

Prone Hamstring Curls:
      150lbs x 16 RP

Barbell Squat (to a bench):
      135lbs x 3 sets of 10 (see notes)

Hip abductor and adductor machines

NOTES:
      Good workout today... I am already feeling the bicep/forearm soreness, so tomorrow is going to suck.
      My left knee/quad tendon is still really inflammed, so I opted to do squats to a bench instead of ATG today. I also thought I would be smart and not really go very heavy - I think that was a good choice. It felt nice to do the squats anyway, since I haven't been able to do them since 12/14/06 because of various issues - and now this knee problem.
      I hit the hip abductor/adductor machines pretty hard today too... I have realized while rehabbing my knee that my hip abductors are REALLY weak, and based on what I know about knee problems I'm sure that is the indirect cause of my knee pain. Obviously my quadriceps tendon being inflammed is the direct cause
      Anyway - good workout today, very happy with it. Also happy to have set my first new PR this blast on the calf raises. As I said, I have gone up to 310 + the sled on a different machine before - but that machine seemed to have a lighter sled and was on a different angle.
      Oh well - I guess it is bed time now!

----

March 14th side note:
      Interesting side note on proper eating and fluid intake... I weighed myself today and I was 248. that is 6lbs more than monday! just goes to show what getting enough food and water into your body will do!

Comment

• PTAaron

(march 15th)
        Cardio day today...
        30 minutes on elliptical using heart rate control program at 148bpm.

Comment

• PTAaron

Workout 3 - Rotation 1 (Setting Baselines) - 3/16/07
          No Last Time numbers.

Decline Barbell Bench Press:
          265lbs x 6 RP LOL!! Umm... I'll explain in the "NOTES" section. :P

Close Grip Bench Press:
          200lbs x 11 RP

Dumbell Shoulder Press:
          60lbs x 18 RP

Rack Chins Behind the Head:
          +45lbs x 16 RP

Rack Deadlift (bars set 2" below knees):
          295lbs x 7; 245lbs x 10

NOTES:
          Decent workout... I actually woke up at 7 am and was WIDE AWAKE because I was so excited to do this workout!
          Decline Bench was a disaster - but it was because I am a dumbass. Last blast I ended on 260 x 13RP - so logically I should have gone for 255 since it has been 3 weeks since I did it last... but I thought "Hell, my personal best on these was 265lbs - so why shouldn't I try to set a personal record on my first rotation!" OBVIOUSLY, now we see why! 6 reps rest paused is ridiculously low, and I will drop down to 260 next rotation which should get me safely back to 11-15 reps. Left shoulder was extremely sore during these again, also was quite sore with close grips - felt fine again with shoulder press. I have been stretching the hell out of the shoulder at work, but I keep forgetting to do the inflammation reduction techniques... DOH!
          Anyway - overall this was a good first week of the new blast phase.

Comment

• PTAaron

Workout 4 - Rotation 1 (setting baselines) - 3/19/07
            No Last Time numbers

Alternating Dumbell Curl:
            45lbs x 17 RP

Reverse Grip Machine Preacher:
            80lbs x 11 RP

Hack Squat Calves:
            240lbs x 8 (DC Style); 180 x 20 (regular speed as punishment for not making it to 12 DC Style)

Hack Squats:
            450lbs + sled x 8; 270lbs + sled x 20

Stiff Leg Deadlift:
            150x6, 170x6, 190x6, 210x6, 230x5, 250x0 - no rest between sets, only enough time to add a 10lb plate to each side

NOTES:
            Okay - so lets talk about this workout... I went in feeling nervous because my left knee is only at about 75%, and I knew I would be taking a risk going into hack squats. I also was nervous because it has been a month since I did this workout last. Curls went well, but my left shoulder was really giving me issues during the set. Hack squat calves - I thought I could do the same weight I ended on last blast. I was clearly incorrect! LOL! Hack squats themselves were not bad. I dropped 80lbs off of my last weight, and my knees held up just fine - only minor soreness during and after the set. I tried for the same weight as last blast on my SLDLs - I failed. Thats ok though.

At work today I had Tracy check out my left shoulder a little more closely - and it is in pretty bad shape. The joint is so tight that I can barely lift my arm before my shoulder blade starts moving along with it (that shouldn't happen). We spent a good half hour beating the crap out of the joint to get it moving, and now it is REALLY irritated. I am going to give Wednesday's chest workout a try and see where I am at then - but it looks like I may have to kill this blast phase until my shoulder is calmed down. If it is still this irritated Wednesday I'll be calling up my sports med doc to look into getting a script for therapy (so Tracy won't have to give up her lunch to stretch my shoulder out) and see about getting some kind of injection.

This is NOT how I wanted this blast period to start out. This log is starting to sound like just me complaining about my injuries!

Comment

• PTAaron

Tuesday's (March 20th) cardio session didn't happen - couldn't get out of bed, didn't feel so good in the morning.

I had one of the therapists at work beat my shoulder up for me real good Tuesday afternoon, and I did ice massage on it 3 times... so the workout this morning was really good. I'll post up the details tonight when I get home from work.

Comment

• PTAaron

Workout 5 - Rotation 1 (Setting Baselines) - March 21, 2007
                No Last Time numbers for comparison

Nautilus Vertical Bench Press:
                155lbs x 20 Rest Paused
                *new machine to me - guessed on a weight for it... too easy.

Dumbell (Tricep) Pullovers:
                80lbs x 17 Rest Paused

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press:
                90lbs per side x 13 RP
                *Same weight and reps as end of last blast

Front Pulldowns:
                200lbs x 16 RP

Smith Bent Rows:
                160lbs + bar x 11 straight set
                *Same weight, more reps than end of last blast

NOTES:
                Shoulder felt really good during this workout, I was kind of surprised. There was only a little soreness on the Nautilus Bench Press, and some soreness warming up for pullovers - but nothing like the last couple of chest workouts. I'm going to have my shoulder stretched all to hell again tomorrow because clearly that helped things out! I didn't get to do my ice massage today though, and it got more sore as the day went on.
                I'm really happy with my weights/reps on all of the exercises here.

On a nutrition note - I got my order of Waxy Maize Starch and Creating Ethyl Ester today... and I'm trying a slightly new post workout supplementation routine. I'll keep everyone posted on it. Basically now instead of taking in whey, dexttrose/malto, a potato, and 2 boxes of raisins I will be doing this: immediately post workout will be 90g of WMS with 3-5g CEE (no protein powder, trying to take advantage of quick absorption of WMS) - 30 minutes later 50g whey protein and 150-200g of complex carbs. I got this idea from Troponin over on IM.com - we'll see how it works out. The idea being that you take advantage of the WMS to get our CEE in, and to get your muscles "refueled" quickly - then you can take in less protein than you normally would later along with the complex carbs and be sure more of the protein will be put to use for repair instead of being used for energy (because there are plenty of carbs there).
                We'll see how it goes.

Anyway - its midnight now... so I'm off to bed!

Comment

• goes4ever
                  • Sep 2004

looking good bro, I'll be reading.........

Comment

• PTAaron

Thanks man.

Today was supposed to be cardio again - for some reason I just could not wake up... hit the "snooze" button for over an hour.
                    Right now I have to write a letter of recommendation for a co-worker - so that kind of takes priority.
                    Looks like I'll be hittin in Saturday and Sunday to get in my 2 days!

Comment

• Akira

Originally posted by PTAaron
                      (march 15th)
                      Cardio day today...
                      30 minutes on elliptical using heart rate control program at 148bpm.
                      Wow PT, that's awesome man! I'd have a damn asthma attack after 12 minutes

Comment

• PTAaron

LOL! Thanks man.

Comment

• PTAaron

I didn't get a chance to type up Friday's workout until just now, so here ya go:

Workout 6 - Rotation 1 (setting baselines) - 3/23/07

Barbell Drag Curl:
                          100lbs x 13 RP
                          *left shoulder/bicep attachment was KILLING ME on these.

1 Arm Reverse Cable Curl:
                          "50"lbs x 13 (6 second negative)
                          *weight is in quotes because I doubt it is really 50lbs, it is just what the machine says.

Cybex Rotary Calf Machine:
                          170lbs x 8 DC Style; 150lbs x 20 - regular speed, punishment for failing to get 12 DC style.

Sumo Leg Press:
                          720lbs + sled x 11 straight set

Leg Press:
                          810lbs+sled x 6; 630lbs+sled x 13 - ouch! Failed the widowmaker set badly!

NOTES:
                          Shoulder was REALLY irritated that morning when I woke up - slept laying on it - so I'm not surprised it was killing me at the gym. I've been treating it at work - getting the normal joint mobility back, but I haven't been taking anything for the inflammation. The last anti-inflammatory I was on for my foot (Kataflam) was giving me ulcer-like symptoms after a while, so I've been steering clear of all anti-inflamms for a while until that clears up.
                          Pretty happy with the leg portion of the workout. Calves were a bitch again, but thats ok - I'll get it next time. Reps were kind of low on the leg press and sumo press, but thats OK because my knee felt really good during the sets.

--------------

Saturday:
                          Cardio - 30 minutes on elliptical doing heart rate program set at 146bpm.
                          Abs - Nautilus Crunch machine: Some weight x 35 RP

Comment

• PTAaron

Workout 1 - Rotation 2! Yeah baby!
                            Last Time: 3/12/07 This Time: 3/26/07

Incline Barbell Bench Press:
                            Last Time: 195lbs x 16 Rest Paused
                            This Time: 205lbs x 15 Rest Paused *
                            *As sad as it is... that is a PR for incline barbell... mostly because until last blast period I NEVER did barbell inclines outside a smith machine.

EZ Curl Triceps:
                            LT: 105lbs x 12 RP
                            TT: 105lbs x 14 RP

Smith Machine Shoulder Press:
                            LT: 165lbs x 12 RP
                            TT: 170lbs x 12 RP

Rack Chins to the Front:
                            LT: +45lbs x 17 RP
                            TT: +50lbs x 17 RP

Close Grip Cable Row:
                            LT: 13 Plates x 12 straight set
                            TT: 14 plates x 11 straight set.

NOTES:
                            Pretty pleased with the workout this morning. I was really questioning my own intelligence going into it with the way my shoulder has been feeling - but I decided to give it a try. Still having the moderately severe pain with incline bench in the left shoulder, but not with anything else! After the workout my shoulder actually felt the best it has in at least a week.
                            Knee actually felt awesome this morning too... but for some strange reason got really sore when I got to work. I don't understand my body... oh well. Tracy taped my knee for me and it feels a lot better.
                            Anyway - bedtime for me...

Comment

• PTAaron

Cardio day today... slept through my alarm clock, so I only had time for 25 minutes.

Comment

Working...