X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A.B
    VET
    • Jun 2004

What did you do right early on?

So every so often threads pop up what we did wrong early and fix those mistakes. Now thinking years ago and outside the box- what did you do right early on? Can be diet. Training. Anything. I’ll start

First thing i did well was EAT. I had jacked cousins when I was 15 that I looked up to. I wanted to get big. I started lifting and not well but lifted weights. But from the get go i ate a lot. It stretched my stomach out so I could grow. Summer of 89 when I was 15 and lifting I would wake up and bbq two hamburgers and down it with a pop cause I heard carbonated drinks slowed digestion
    I didn’t put on any fat but gained good mass. That summer I gained 20 lbs. it started early and was easy to put on weight cause I ate so bloody much.
  • Roughrydr
    • Oct 2017

Honestly not much. 10 sets of 10 for everything, working out two or three times a day. Built a very solid foundation thats lasted through the years though
    OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• HDH
      • Jun 2015

I thought the same, not much right. I'll leave it at that

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

I didn't do much right either. I ate pretty good but partied to much.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• A.B
          VET
          • Jun 2004

LOL my diet wasn’t good but the main thing was stretching my stomach out with the food so when I learned how to eat proeperly I would hit the amounts with ease. The bad part of that was now i eat way to much haha

Comment

• Aklion
            VET
            • Jan 2019

I was fortunate when I started training in that the gym I went to had a lot of veteran bodybuilders who helped me stick to meat and potatoes lifts in order to build up mass and strength. I also didn't start using AAS until I was in my late 20's so i had a lot of natural gains to build on. My diet was trash and I drank jack and cokes every weekend, so who knows what kind of a beast I would have been at 30 had I had my diet in check

Comment

• Dakota
              VET
              • Feb 2017

It is an echo chamber here. Not much right. The one thing I would do that was instinctive and not taught was lift until failure. It started with me baiting my Dad into who could do the most "insert lift here". My arms exploded in size when I was 14 to 15 years old. I am not exaggerating. I put an inch on my arms in about a month and a 1/2. My buddy and I measured ourselves when we started.
              The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank
                • May 2019

I had a good start. Started at 14. Had a weight set since 12, but didn't really workout. Just me and my friends would see how much we could lift overhead. But at 14 I joined the Y, and started hitting it after school. I did all the basics and a few isolations, and did chest/back/shoulders on Mon/Thurs and arms/legs on Tues/Fri. I ate alot of tuna, drank alot of raw eggs, and drank a ton of that nasty ass Weider 90% Plus Protein powder.

I went from 170 at 14 to 220 at 17, and pretty solid, not fat. I mean I had the bb "look" - the V taper, big quads, chest and arms, blah blah. I did my first bb show at 16, and was hooked. It helped at the time in the mid-late 70's the mags ruled. Not pussy bs like Muscle & Fitness. It was called Muscle & Power back then, and everything was Arnold, Robby, Lou, Mentzer, Franco, Zane, etc. Then in Kennedys' MuscleMag, you had a ton of Sergio and Serge. By the time I was 18 I had a stack of mags as tall as me haha.
                Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• Dakota
                  VET
                  • Feb 2017

Damn, you were literally 100 lbs more than me at 17!
                  The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• JDUB
                    Vet
                    • Apr 2012

Wrong: Not eating enough of the right foods, over training, and to much alcohol.

Right: About the only thing I did right was going to the gym.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Kluso
                      Vet
                      • Dec 2016

It’s a lot easier to say what I did wrong. My dad was a competitive bodybuilder and took me to a Keven Levrone seminar when I was like 16. So I knew how to train and eat. I just never had the passion to stick with it until I was older. That and I struggled with drug addiction. Funny thing was I was afraid of needles and never touched real gear until maybe 10 years ago in my late 30s. I did take a lot of prohormones and “prosteriods” in my late 20s when they were legal. That VPX shit was legit! But I didn’t know what I was doing and fucked up my hpta which I didn’t know at the time cause I still had a good sex drive but found out in my 30s I had lowT. Finding my original “source” board TSC and Suboxone saved my marriage and my life.

Comment

• Rebornlite
                        VET
                        • Dec 2018

I did most things wrong at first but one thing that I did right was join forums like this one and spent a couple years reading posts and learning from others experiences.

Comment

• willsgotrythm
                          Vet
                          • Jul 2012

I was very sporatic in my early lifting career so when I finally settled down and got serious I got on a decent training program and I ate like it was my part time job. That's when I started making some progress and got my muscle foundation....

Comment

• Puff88
                            VET
                            • Jan 2019

Started lifting weights the summer going into high school, since my dad bought me a universal bench/rack as my middle school graduation gift. What i did right was develop a passion for my physique and my athletic ability. It put me into a mindset that wouldnt allow me to go overboard with partying or getting mixed up in the wrong stuff, as i always wanted to look and perform well. Kept me focused with a priority, and kept me away from going down the path many of my old friends went down.

While i wanted to many times, i never touched any real anabolics until i was 32. Spent years reading and asking questions on forums like these and i thank myself often for waiting as long as i did.

Comment

• Darkness
                              • Apr 2011

I also did very little correctly. I think one thing I did right was follow some very good coaching from vets on boards that preached doses that were just enough, and to try test then one cycle at a time add something to test, never introducing more than one compound at once. That was a lot of fun, gave me some solid knowledge on how a variety of drugs work for me, and kept me out of trouble.

Comment

Working...