Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clutchitalian
    • Sep 2011

Low carb diet Killing me!!

I've been going low carb for the past 2 weeks prob under 25-30 grams a day and 1 carb up day.. I've been having really low energy especially at work.. I'm dropping weight but have no intensity at the gym... I'm about to start running cyp 500mg a week... my test is very low from crashing months ago I never got a chance to run pct..I'm gonna start a high protein/moderate carb n fat diet when I start running cyp I wanna build lean muscle and drop fat...it's goin good so far I'm prob gonna start a log....
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

I never drop below 100 grams of carbs.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• b52
      • Oct 2006

That's too low bud. Your body prefers to burn carbs. You need them. You probably have no glycogen stores in your muscles. You need to give them something to fuel your workouts. And why no pct? Should be a priority. Messing with your hormones is no joke. Have everything on hand this time around or be able to get it asap if needed.
      Last edited by b52; 01-01-2018, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• clutchitalian
        • Sep 2011

Ya normally I do but the circumstances last year caused me to stop suddenly and not have access to put but yes starting tomorrow I am going to throw carbs in there just not too many....

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

I have friends who made dramatic changes utilizing low carb. You just gotta man up - nobody said it's easy, especially if you're one who loves carbs. I did it for a minute myself a couple months back to get the work pants to not feel so tight haha. My main carbs was first meal of bran cereal & banana. The rest of the day was either chicken/ground turkey/red meat with broccoli/asparagus/salad. Low carbs does work. For those that disagree, tell it to the 70's - early 80's bb era.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Also much easier to do low carbs when on cycle. Low carbs makes getting a good pump diificult. Gear counters that heavily.

Comment

• b52
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
              I have friends who made dramatic changes utilizing low carb. You just gotta man up - nobody said it's easy, especially if you're one who loves carbs. I did it for a minute myself a couple months back to get the work pants to not feel so tight haha. My main carbs was first meal of bran cereal & banana. The rest of the day was either chicken/ground turkey/red meat with broccoli/asparagus/salad. Low carbs does work. For those that disagree, tell it to the 70's - early 80's bb era.
              Low carbs work, no carbs doesn't unless you want to burn muscle. 25-30g is too low IMO. You gotta have some glycogen, to fuel the workout. I think I was doing minimum 75-100g when I was cutting, and that was rough.

Comment

• clutchitalian
                • Sep 2011

This week I'm just adding 1/2 cup of brown rice to 2nd 3rd 4th meals of the day for now. I'm starting cyp tomorrow and going food shopping so I will adjust it accordingly....

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by b52
                  Low carbs work, no carbs doesn't unless you want to burn muscle. 25-30g is too low IMO. You gotta have some glycogen, to fuel the workout. I think I was doing minimum 75-100g when I was cutting, and that was rough.

The body will burn fat for energy when needed. Not only did sub-200 lb guys (your weight range) go very low carb, but so did Arnold, Robby and other 200+ lb monsters take in much less than 100g carbs (according to Ric Draisin).

I'm not saying one can't get cut on higher carbs. They rarely did cardio in the 70's & basically their long, high volume workouts had a cardio effect. But I also don't agree that one needs at least 100g of carbs ed. They did it - for many years - they are proof.

Comment

• Dakota
                    VET
                    • Feb 2017

I personally think we all have a zone. It takes time to find it. My last cut I was able to nail it and had enough energy for workouts and still managed to really cut the bf. If you do it just right it isn't as miserable. I agree with bran as a source for you carbs too. It keeps your digestive tract moving and that can help a ton with lowering bf.
                    The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• Glycomann

Keto works great for my wife. Me, the metabolism stalls. I did it for 5 weeks recently and did not cheat once. I lost a grand total of 7 lbs. I ran a deficit of 500-1000 cals a day. I went off it for the Thanksgiving holiday and put on 14 lbs in as many days. Then I took that off in 3 weeks before Christmas using low carb and less deficit. Many years ago I did a rotation diet where fats, carbs and protein were cycled. That worked really well. Never did it again though.

Comment

• b52
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                        The body will burn fat for energy when needed. Not only did sub-200 lb guys (your weight range) go very low carb, but so did Arnold, Robby and other 200+ lb monsters take in much less than 100g carbs (according to Ric Draisin).

I'm not saying one can't get cut on higher carbs. They rarely did cardio in the 70's & basically their long, high volume workouts had a cardio effect. But I also don't agree that one needs at least 100g of carbs ed. They did it - for many years - they are proof.

But those guys were on stuff too to counter the effect of the diet. Fat is the last thing to burn. Carbs, protein, then fat. Not saying it won't work but you are going to burn some muscle at such low carbs. I speak for myself and dId it natty. Maybe it doesn't apply to everyone. Maybe the amount of muscle burned is negligible but it's hard for me to pack it on so I don't want to lose any so I stay at a safe range with cardio. My workouts also change like you stated. Higher volume, less rest in between sets. Gets your heart pumping. I personally don't agree with it. Just my .02 I dropped 17 lbs in 12 weeks before I was even on anything. You just gotta dial it in and weigh everything.
                        Last edited by b52; 01-03-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by b52
                          But those guys were on stuff too to counter the effect of the diet. Fat is the last thing to burn. Carbs, protein, then fat. Not saying it won't work but you are going to burn some muscle at such low carbs. I speak for myself and dId it natty. Maybe it doesn't apply to everyone. Maybe the amount of muscle burned is negligible but it's hard for me to pack it on so I don't want to lose any so I stay at a safe range with cardio. My workouts also change like you stated. Higher volume, less rest in between sets. Gets your heart pumping. I personally don't agree with it. Just my .02 I dropped 17 lbs in 12 weeks before I was even on anything. You just gotta dial it in and weigh everything.
                          Oh yeah they were definitely on the sauce, which makes it easier bigtime - regarding pumps on low carbs, being anti catabolic, and more umpph in the gym. If I were doing it natty I wouldn't go too low. I was considering what clutch said about running a cycle. MUCH easier to hold on to muscle when on obviously.

Comment

• liftsiron
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2003

For me personally my body reacts much better to the way b52 says he diets. I'm toast under 100 grams cutting, normally I cut well with approx 100 to 125 grams carbs ed, no cycling required. Right now I'm staying relatively lean with 200-225 grams carbs ed and 250 grams protein. My current bodywt is 180 lbs.
                            ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• BrutalHoney
                              VET
                              • Nov 2016

Maybe the OP dove in too fast... And maybe the OP's body hasn't adjusted to it yet?

Comment

Working...