Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b52
    • Oct 2006

Weighing ground beef?

Normally I stick to chicken and fish, when it comes to this time of year, but my supermarket has such a good deal on 93% lean ground beef I can't pass it up. That being said I'm trying to figure out how to weigh it. I could take the weight of the whole thing and figure out how many 5-6oz servings are in it but then it's not going to look or weigh the same when cooked? I could weigh each portion raw, but that would take forever to cook. Anyone have any tips, or what 6 0z translates to cooked? I'm done bulking for now. Time to get ready for spring. I hate calorie counting. I just like to eat but winter is coming to an end. So if it's 7% fat should I deduct 7% from 6 0z to get my cooked portion weight?
    Last edited by b52; 02-20-2017, 07:57 PM.
  • b52
    • Oct 2006

Got it cooked weight Appx 4.5 0z for 93%. Just in case anyone has run into this problem. Still feel free to give your feedback please.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

I never weigh it, probably bcoz I usually just go through the whole pack in a 24 hour period - a 2.25lb pack, that is. Also, I think if you drain the fat off, the fat amount is going to be much less than what the label says. With the 2.25lb pack, about 1 cup of fat drains off. However, if you overcook it, alot of that fat cooks right into it - not good.

I don't eat as much red meat as I used to (Hamburger Helper king of the 90's - early 2k's ), but I still eat it 1 - 2x ew. I don't do fish much - usually 93% ground turkey, or chicken breasts these days.

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

I eat a lot of 96% fat free ground beef.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Thorensenn
          • Jul 2017

When I cook ground meat (I can get mixed ground meat intended for pets for $1.39 a pound; hard to pass it up), I make a giant patty in a big cast iron skillet, set the oven to 350 or so, and when it's swimming in fat and juice I take it out and dump the fat. When I eat it, the texture is like ground bison, all dry and crumbly. I don't add fat to the meals for that day as I'm sure there's still plenty lurking in the meat. I typically won't do this when I'm counting macros strictly. I weigh it raw, but add 100+grams to account for the drained off fat.

Comment

Working...