Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Diet and Nutrition
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
JDUB
Vet

JDUB will become famous soon enoughJDUB will become famous soon enough
Cooking oils

What is the healthiest cooking oils for food...Bass told me coconut, I hope he is right (and usually is) cause I ordered a tub of the shit....

thoughts?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Dawgpound_Hank

I've heard coconut or extra virgin olive oil. I think the problem IS finding the real stuff. Apparently much of the extra virgin olive oil sold in the US is not real or at least not good quality. Don't know if the same applies to coconut oil? Maybe G can chime in and tell us some good brand names of olive oil here in the US that doesn't cost an arm & leg.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
Olive oil is good but pure quality stuff has to be researched. It is unbelievable but it is faked and cut just like a drug. When you are familiar with it you can tell a lot just by the smell but unfortunately at that time you have already purchased it. Buy the big metal containers that I believe are 64oz? Do a google search on what to look for in the wording and description and what brands are faked. Even Costco Olive Oil is pretty crappy and they have very fussy buyers.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I just use olive oil pam cooking spray.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to behold
I use all different types, but mostly grapeseed and avocado for higher heating, and EVOO for colder foods and lower heats. I use coconut every now and then, same with corn oil if the food I'm cooking tastes better with it. I just try not to overdo the amounts of each.
MR. BMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
Acneman
Banned

Acneman will become famous soon enoughAcneman will become famous soon enough
If you can find oils with the International Olive Oil Council certification, go for those

Acneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
clutchitalian

clutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of lightclutchitalian is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
I just use olive oil pam cooking spray.
Same here.... but my girl swears by Coconut oil and uses it with everything she cooks....
clutchitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
krustus
VET

krustus will become famous soon enoughkrustus will become famous soon enough
if you are searing meats or cooking at higher temps... an oil with a high smoke point is needed... coconut has a high smoke point... but i love ghee... clarified butter.. all the milk solids are removed for a higher smoke point
krustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:59 AM   #9
patsd80

patsd80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. BMJ View Post
I use all different types, but mostly grapeseed and avocado for higher heating, and EVOO for colder foods and lower heats. I use coconut every now and then, same with corn oil if the food I'm cooking tastes better with it. I just try not to overdo the amounts of each.
Same, I only use evoo for cooking that doesn't go too high on the heat. I've heard myths about some danger that come with using evoo on high heat, someth to do with its molecular breakdown and such. Not sure how true that is, though. So to be safe, I just use it on my salads and some low-heat sauteeing. Coconut oil works for me, too. It's basically what I use on everything. Used to not like the coconut smell but eventually I got over it lol
patsd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
My favorite is olive oil, I never let anything burn
I also use hemp oil but I add it at the last moment.
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
Coconut oil is also a super duper sex lubricant
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Coconut oil is also a super duper sex lubricant
And the Winner is.......
Old 07-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #13
Thorensenn

Thorensenn is on a distinguished road
Algae oil

I was shopping one day and some dude was sampling algae oil. So, I tried a little. He gave me some spiel about the health benefits and all jazz, so I got a 500 ml bottle. I was tired of olive oil and coconut oil anyways. Well, I love the stuff. Mild flavor l, high heat point or you can use it in high heat cooking. I found that it's easy to just drink it, whereas coconut oil makes stomached feel queenly. Algae oil is much like avocado oil insofar as its high in monounsaturated fat. It's a great addition to any clean fat arsenal.

(I'll get around to an introduction soon; was perusing the forums for a diet idea for a mini cut and stumbled on this thread)
Thorensenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
A1food4u

In order...

grape seed.... flavor neutral, med-high smoke point, very thin and easy to control portion

Coconut.... does tend to transfer coconut flavor to all it touches, not problematic for most applications, very high smoke point, can get viscous and lumpy at lower temps

Evoo (extra virgin olive oil) transfers flavor to cooked items, has resin like solids that can gather and discolor oil, medium smoke point, easily measured at any temp.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #15
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to behold
I like grapeseed a lot too...mainly because of it's neutral flavor. It goes good with almost anything.
MR. BMJ is offline   Reply With Quote