Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
mrhtbd

mrhtbd has a spectacular aura aboutmrhtbd has a spectacular aura about
The Red Man

For several decades people have made fun of me for being so red. I always took it lightly and thought it was just a result of spending so many years in the sun (even though I'm completely red all over especially in areas that have never seen the sun) but recently I've discovered an alternative perspective. For the past eight years my blood tests have come back with abnormally high hemacrit and hemoglobin, which I assumed was just a result of taking TRT (as testosterone is well known for increasing the production of red blood cells). In the past, I have suffered other conditions which I assumed was a result of living in a sewer gas environment for the past three years. Long story short, it turns out I am in the early stages of leukemia. My specific level is called Polycythemia Vera; which is either caused by an environmental anomaly or a production of the gene JAK2 in the bone marrow of my femur.
I want to think it's a result of my environmental conditions, but the fact is my grandfather (on Dad's side) died of leukemia at age of 47 (according to my aunt). None of the men in my family have lived past the age of 62 and we all have high blood pressure (even the ones who were thin which account four). I now believe this is and was as a result of thickening of the blood. Also, I think I caught it early enough to make a difference, and so I am on my way with a plan. Donating blood is one of the best ways to lower the iron carrying red blood cells but the Red Cross will not accept blood with the hemocrit level above 50 (I believe mine was 61 on my most recent blood test), so I would need a prescription for a phlebotomist to remove blood to temporarily remove the red blood cells and therefore relieve some of the pressure on my vascular system. I am not looking forward to a bone marrow biopsy of my femur. I am interested in learning how to lower the iron content of my blood, so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate that thank you!
mrhtbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:38 AM   #2
Dawgpound_Hank

Sorry to hear. I just did a quick read on it - looks manageable. Get that blood out/donate often & take that baby aspirin. Looks like they also make meds to kill off any cancer cells associated with it.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
This sucks. Best I got bud.
Roughrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
mrhtbd

I was able to donate a pint of blood to the Red Cross last Monday even though my BP was of concern. The next day my BP measured 180/129 with an automated monitor. Hmmm... next stop is lose weight and increase cardio-vascular activity, but with the realization it didn’t help Jim Fixx. Looking at options but trimming in the meantime. Too old to wait, too young to put it off. Spent 2 hours hiking in the mountains today. The fresh air, nature, and solitude work for me. I do what I can.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
Leukemia? Damn sorry to read about that mrhtbd. What is the treatment?
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
You can give with your hemocrit above 50. I have in the mid 50s on many occasions. The question is do you have donatable blood?
Old 01-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
mrhtbd

Donatable blood? good question. Other than the high red blood count it should be yes. No gay sex, never shared a needle, never drew from an opened bottle of juice, never IV drugs, no hookers or paid for sex, no hep, aids or any other blood born infection, only 2 female partners since 1998. The only issue was I got gamma-globulin shots for possible exposure to hep B before going to Honduras, but that was in 1990 and over 12 months is OK with the Red Cross. Have O+ blood and that’s universal. Very rare for me to be sick, very rare.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
mrhtbd

I can donate what they call “double-Red” in 152 days. That would be the thing for me. I mean, I’m like a red blood-making farm; making excess red blood cells rain or shine. Maybe that can offer some protection. As, the main problem with this issue is thickening if the volume binds in the capillaries and increases pressure regardless of level of cardiovascular conditioning. Also, I need to deal with this ridiculous dehydration to keep my blood viscous. It’s not over, not at all.