Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Over 50 and beyond.
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #16
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
I was squatting Saturday night. I had all of the will, energy and intensity to push it hard. My knees and back just did not share what was in my head and heart. I pushed through a decent workout. I went up to a massive 245. I but i raise the intesnity by doing it really slow tempo, adding 4 sec pauses in the hole, and quarter reps coming out and shit like that.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #17
krustus
VET

krustus will become famous soon enoughkrustus will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I tried all the healing peptides and nothing gave me anything significant.
honestly i think issues like torn tissues.. bone spurs.. degenerative disc.. would not be helped by healing peptides.. to me those heal things faster that would eventually heal themselves if left to enough rest time. so your issues are beyond peptides

Quote:
Maybe the decreased pounding in the weight room on top of yoga will give me some restoration. The way the back and knees are heavy squats and deads are out from here forward. I will probably do a light cycle at some point starting in the next couple months but I need flexibility mroe than mass right now to work the joints range of motion in this yoga stuff. I have an idea that it might stimulate stem cell activity which would be restorative.
imho... flexibility would help with day to day movement maybe... but injured bones, tissue , etc.. would probably only be healed by surgery (which could also make it worse).. look at Ronnie Coleman.. so flexible muscles would probably help put less stress on the joints, but not change the underlying issues or damage

i turned 50 recently... but i had started to dial back training poundages etc.. in fear of doing damage that i could end up regretting as i got older...

anyone who pushes their body towards its limits is risking what happened to Ronnie (maybe not as bad?).. so gotta weigh risk reward...
krustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
Glycomann

A friend of mine runs an MMA dojo. He's 41 and does Worlds just about every year. He's about 5'8" 175 shredded. He's a mess just like me only I'm 16 years down the line. He has had a bunch of surgeries, neck, knees etc. Colliflauwer ears. I did the same thing. Did nationals and some lower level international competitions and had a lot of fun and now a lot of stories. If you run it hard you're gonna get some dents. I don't have any regrets. Yeah the wheels kind of rattle adn I have a shimmy in the front end but a little grease and an oil change and I can still run fairly hard from time to time, just have to go smarter now. Not so much balls out and grappling is a vsions fading away. Maybe I can get abck and teach some and do some ground work. Thing is as soon as I get back on the mat I cant help but go balls out. That's fine with scrubs but whenthere are a few guys that compete at a higher level that's when I turn it up and then after a few sessions racked with pain for weeks. I just don't have the turn down volume button in the dojo. Finally I ahve it in the gym.

Anyhow, I had a lot of fun and maybe I have some fun days left at 57.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #19
Glycomann

Ronnie Colman is a special case. He has no turn down button even after 10 back surgeries. I would guess if he had that button he would have been done with back surgeries after the first 1 or 2.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #20
water43
Vet

water43 will become famous soon enough
I just saw the king [Ronnie colman] very impressed by his life and commitment to a lifestyle he has loved and still loves despite his injuries from the battle to be the king. there must be a certain defiance of physics in his mind that keeps him going
Old 01-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #21
Bigpapapumpaf
VET

Bigpapapumpaf will become famous soon enoughBigpapapumpaf will become famous soon enough
I'm 50 and have been lifting for the 'pump' for many years now. My ego has been put to bed and lifting heavy no longer appeals to me. My workouts are centered around higher reps and pushing the blood into the muscle. Yes I still fight my rotator cuff but other than that I feel great in the gym and could care less what group I'm in. Anyone near my weight is welcome to comment in the gym but other than that, they shut the hell up.

BPP
Bigpapapumpaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #22
BrutalHoney
VET

BrutalHoney will become famous soon enough
Hey, let's check in on this thread...

Glyco, did you stick with the yoga? I'm curious, if you did, how things move and feel now.
BrutalHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #23
Glycomann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalHoney View Post
Hey, let's check in on this thread...

Glyco, did you stick with the yoga? I'm curious, if you did, how things move and feel now.
I did it for 8 months and it fixed a lotto my problems. I incorporate some of the movements to my stretching regimen I do after workouts. It helped a lot. I'm back to doing free squats and rack pulls periodically now. I don't go up as high in weight as I use to but going higher in reps and listen to back, neck and knees to guide me.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #24
BrutalHoney
VET

Okay...
So...
Tell me where to start, then.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #25
Glycomann

Quote:
Okay...
So...
Tell me where to start, then.
Do the gentle stuff first. Don't make it a competition. You're basically doing it like physiotherapy. The people might be fucking weirdos but you're there to fix your shit so get along I guess. Try to find a good place. If a form or position hurts then don't do it. Good places the instructor can Give you options. If they can't then get another studio or a class with a better instructor.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #26
BrutalHoney
VET

dammit i was afraid you'd say to go to a place...
Old 10-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #27
Glycomann

Quote:
dammit i was afraid you'd say to go to a place...
There are a lot of good looking women in these places. If you are open to it might be a good place to find one or a few flexible women. The first month or so I was going I had just come back from Italy and brought in a bottle of wine a couple times for a little after class tasting. After that I had to fight them off. If life gives you lemons make lemonade like they say.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #28
BrutalHoney
VET

What I hear you saying is: I need to hit up a yoga studio next time I'm traveling without the mrs...
Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #29
Glycomann

Quote:
What I hear you saying is: I need to hit up a yoga studio next time I'm traveling without the mrs...
That's up to you. For married men extra women = extra chaos.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #30
Rot-Iron66

Rot-Iron66 is on a distinguished road
Interesting thread. I'm 53 and basically have been falling apart after 40 years of lifting (30 of it HEAVY). Back has always been flaky (Degen-disc's) but now with torn rotator, knee's no longer liking anything heavy or compressing (squats, leg-press) and now heart issues from horrible family history (dad dead at 47, bro at 47, grandpa at 42, 8 other uncles/aunts from Dads side dead before 50) I caught mine early I think. (Will know more soon, they drag out the medical, make me wait). "Come in if you think you're having a heart attack", gee, thanks fukk-wad's. A little depressing, light training keeps me out of full depression I think. To all the old iron guys/gals here, keep breathing defiance!!
Rot-Iron66 is offline   Reply With Quote