X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by TAVARES88
    Other advocate of whole eggs is Charles Poliquin.

How about whole enriched omega-3 eggs ?
    I think whole eggs are fine within reason, I always add a few whole eggs with extra whites. The point I was making is that egg yolks and cream add a tremendous of extra calories provided by unhealthy fats. As for eating raw eggs I think that it's senseless, JB please name some beneficial enzymes lost in the cooking process. Also please provide proof that DC and Iron Addict are advocates of eating raw eggs.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by John Benz
      Actually I agree with liftsiron that cooked eggs are easier to digest, but I do not agree that they are better for you. Raw eggs contain beneficial enzymes that are lost in the cooking process and the overall quality of any protein is lowered when subjected to heat. I have never seen a study that was published in a major scientific journal like JAMA that proved there was a connection between raw eggs and Biotin definciency. Still I eat my eggs cooked, but not over cooked.

Also the yolks are far more than just cholesterol and fat, they are an extremely high quality protein and one of the rare sources of natural Vitamin D.
      It took me less than five minutes to find few dozen journal studies on raw egg consumption and biotin deficiency. Most were animal studies, however here is one of the several human cases. Like I said it took less than five minutes to find a few dozen studies on this topic.

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 21, 173-182, Copyright © 1968 by The American Society for Clinical Nutrition, Inc.
      Human Biotin Deficiency
      A Case History of Biotin Deficiency Induced by Raw Egg Consumption in a Cirrhotic Patient
      C. M. BAUGH PH.D.1, J. H. MALONE M.D.1, and C. E. BUTTERWORTH JR. M.D.1

1 From the Division of Nutrition, Department of Medicine, Medical College of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama

1) A 62-year-old white female developed clinical manifestations of biotin deficiency after consuming a diet containing six raw eggs daily for 18 months. The diet was advised by a well-meaning physician to aid liver regeneration following a diagnosis of Laennec's cirrhosis.

2) Clinical manifestations included anorexia, nausea, vomiting, glossitis, pallor, depression, lassitude, substernal pain, scaly dermatitis, and desquamation of the lips. All symptoms cleared or improved markedly after 2-5 days of parenteral vitamin therapy providing 200 µg of biotin daily, while she continued her pretreatment diet. In contrast to other case reports, she did not exhibit anemia, muscle pains, hypercholesterolemia, or electrocardiographic abnormality.

3) Nornmal subjects were observed to remove free, injected biotin from the blood within 3-5 hr, excreting 55 and 27% in the urine in 24 hr after injection. In contrast, free biotin did not disappear from the patient's blood for approximately 8 hr, and 91% of the those appeared in the urine. These results suggest that hepatic cirrhosis prevented the proper storage and utilization of biotin in this patient.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• John Benz
        Vet
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by liftsiron
        Also please provide proof that DC and Iron Addict are advocates of eating raw eggs.
        Here are few quotes from Iron Addict. I have been working 12 hours straight. Dog tired. Will get to the other stuff tomorrow. -JB-
        Originally posted by Goes4ever
        starting out with raw eggs. besides homeade egg nog I have never drank many raw eggs, would I be safe starting out eating 6 raw eggs a day or should I start with a lower number?
        Originally posted by Iron Addict
        They digest great, start out with as many as you like. I find a protien drink with 4-5 eggs, milk and 30 grams of whey digests better than and leaves me less bloated then having all whey and milk.

And yes, I drink milk, but know many people just don't tolerate it well.

Iron Addict
        Originally posted by juggernaut333
        what am i missing here...i thought u would get salmonella from this?hell i love eggnog fill me in guys!
        There is a 1 in 30,000 chance of getting sick that way. If those odds work for you go for it, if they don't you are paranoid and should refrane from doing so. I have eaten raw eggs like this for 20 years without a single problem and have known many others that have done likewise.

Where did you read your "stuff"about this bb.com?

IA
        Originally posted by SemperFi 0321
        im not so much worried about the flavor or the chance of salmonella as i am any other negative aspect of eating them raw. i guess i should have been more clear in my question. let me try again......

does eating raw eggs rob you of anything positive that cooking them would have produced? after i read frosty's post, i researched a little and found some websites that claim cooking the egg actually releases some nutrients. some claim, as frosty said, that cooking the egg "deactivates" some nutrients. also, one website mentioned the bioavailability of the protein being higher after cooked. since i am not knowledgeable by ANY means on this subject, i am hoping some of you who are will chime in here.

Semper Fi
        Cooking is detrimental to all foods. Releasing nutrients? From where? They are already in the egg and you are going to eat the egg!

They are just fine raw and nothing is lost by not cooking them, although quite a bit MAY be lost when cooked.

Iron Addict
        And whe asked about the 55% absorption rate of raw eggs and Biotin definciency...here is Iron Addict's reply.

I have seen studies that say 55% absorbtion, I have seen studies that say 65%. 85%, 95%. I have seen studies that go into biotin absorbtion issues. i have seen studies that......wait a minute, you know what I have really seen? I have seen countless lifters over the years that have told me about how they have finally broken through sticking points by simply adding 3-9 whole raw eggs a day to their diets. Is it simply because of the overall caloric increase? Perhaps, know what? I could give a damn about the mechanism as long as it works, and for a LOT of lifters out there it works great. The study can often kiss my ass.

IA

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

I guess old misconceptions die hard for some. I stand by my statement however that cooked eggs are better and safer to eat. We have been cooking foods for tens of thousands years now, I would think that our systems have adjusted to cooked protein sources. Also Salmonella from raw eggs and raw egg products are reported to kill approx 600- 1000 in the USA per year, which is very small percentage wise but why take the risk? Thousands more are infected each year, but normally recover within a week or so.
          Last edited by liftsiron; 05-31-2009, 12:09 AM.
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Lokedoggg

Eggs are good animals.

Comment

• davelifter

Eggs are good people.

Comment

• makaveli25
                VET
                • Oct 2007

just bought organic cage free eggs today.. I ate 3 raw just put them in my mouth and chased them down with some water.. Im gonna work my way up to a dozen. My stomach feels a little queasy but it wasn;t to bad
                ITS THE DOG IN ME THAT MAKES ME DO WRONG

"RIP I.T"

Comment

• Scott21
                  VET
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by DRveejay11
                  OK - maybe in these pics..........

Buy the domain name TrainWiser.com and launch your business with a premium domain and a high quality logo.

(Still doubt it though! Maybe I'm just jealous.......LOL )

If by natural you mean he only uses organic Test and GH.

Comment

• cman
                    VET
                    • Apr 2006

Cream and egg yolks are just empty saturated fat calories imo.
                    With all that saturated fat and cholesterol you'd better get on the list for a heart transplant now. The protein is in the egg whites. I would just discard the yolks.

Comment

• mrhtbd

Originally posted by Scott21
                      If by natural you mean he only uses organic Test and GH.

Comment

• mrhtbd

Comment

• Thate
                          Vet
                          • Mar 2007

Ok they are not empty calories, they provide a huge amount of saturated fat and cholesterol...both very good for your heart, and the extra fat should help to add a great degree of bulk right to the waist.
                          If eaten with minimal carbs it is quite the opposite, very easy to drop bf. I also can maintain strength gains while dropping bf, when there is usually a noticeable drop with a traditional diet.

Comment

• liftsiron
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Thate
                            If eaten with minimal carbs it is quite the opposite, very easy to drop bf. I also can maintain strength gains while dropping bf, when there is usually a noticeable drop with a traditional diet.

Whatever works for you, it's not the whole eggs that I see any problem with, it's that damn cream lol.
                            ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Thate
                              Vet
                              • Mar 2007

Whatever works for you, it's not the whole eggs that I see any problem with, it's that damn cream lol.
                              I hear you on that, I don't normally consume it daily but when I do it's 3 tblsp with a protein shake.

I never thought the high protein/high fat diet would work as well as it does until I gave it a real honest shot earlier this year. I think it takes until around week 6 before you can get a good idea. The main thing for me was the zero hunger it provides, I always had to fight hunger pangs multiple times per day with a traditional lower carb diet.

Lift's what ratio's do you normally do when dropping bf?

Comment

• liftsiron
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Thate
                                I hear you on that, I don't normally consume it daily but when I do it's 3 tblsp with a protein shake.

I never thought the high protein/high fat diet would work as well as it does until I gave it a real honest shot earlier this year. I think it takes until around week 6 before you can get a good idea. The main thing for me was the zero hunger it provides, I always had to fight hunger pangs multiple times per day with a traditional lower carb diet.

Lift's what ratio's do you normally do when dropping bf?
                                I like 55-60% protein 20-30% carbs and 15% or less fats.
                                ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

Working...