X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Number-LL
    Vet
    • Jan 2012

Silk Peptides

Silk Peptide intake increases fat oxidation at rest in exercised mice.
    Kim J, Hwang H, Yun HY, Kim B, Lee CH, Suh H, Lim K
    J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2013; 59(3): 250-5

Silk peptides (SP) have been reported to decrease body weight and accumulate fat. We investigated the effects of SP administration by using an open circuit calorimetry system on resting energy expenditure and substrate utilization in resting mice for the duration of 24 h. Seven-week-old male ICR-mice were orally administered SP (800 mg/kg) for 2 wk and were subjected to endurance training. The results indicated that not only was oxygen uptake higher in the SP group than in the CON group (*p<0.05), but also the respiratory exchange rate was lower than that in the CON group for the duration of 24 h (**p<0.01). Moreover, fat oxidation was increased in the SP group. Body weight of the SP group was significantly decreased compared to that of the CON group (*p<0.05). These results suggest that intake of silk peptides increases fat oxidation during rest in exercised mice. Intake of silk peptides is considered to be a favorable supplement for athletes in training. In particular, it would be an effective supplement for athletes who require weight loss along with an increase in muscle mass.
    I don't chase boys, I pass them! - My Daughter

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. - Marcus Aurelius

Unrequited thoughts will remain unless action separates itself from dreams and the ambition becomes sufficient to advance toward a set goal.
  • ozzy69
    Assistant Admin
    • Jun 2011

Where can we get some?

Comment

• Number-LL
      Vet
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ozzy69
      Where can we get some?
      That is what I was thinking when I read this.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. - Marcus Aurelius

Unrequited thoughts will remain unless action separates itself from dreams and the ambition becomes sufficient to advance toward a set goal.

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

Interesting find.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

Nutr Res. 2011 Sep;31(9):723-30. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2011.08.010.
          Silk peptides inhibit adipocyte differentiation through modulation of the Notch pathway in C3H10T1/2 cells.
          Jung SR, Song NJ, Hwang HS, An JJ, Cho YJ, Kweon HY, Kang SW, Lee KG, Yoon K, Kim BJ, Nho CW, Choi SY, Park KW.
          Source

Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon 440-746, Korea.
          Abstract

Silk protein is a biocompatible material that has been used in many biotechnological applications and exhibits body fat-lowering effects. Recent studies have shown that silk peptides increase expression of osteogenic markers in osteoblast-like cells. Because osteogenic and adipogenic differentiation from common mesenchymal progenitor cells are inverse processes and often regulated reciprocally, we hypothesized that silk peptides might suppress adipocyte differentiation. We therefore endeavored to evaluate the effects of silk peptides on adipocyte differentiation in C3H10T1/2 cells. We find that silk peptides inhibit lipid accumulation and morphological differentiation in these cells. Molecular studies show that silk peptides block expression of adipocyte-specific genes such as peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ and its targets, including aP2, Cd36, CCAAT enhancer binding proteinα. Silk peptides appear to inhibit adipogenesis by suppression of the Notch pathway, repressing the Notch target genes Hes-1 and Hey-1. In addition, these peptides inhibit endogenous Notch activation, as shown by a reduction in generation of Notch intracellular domain. N-[N-(3.5-difluorophenacetyl)-L-alanyl]-S-phenylglycine t-butylester, compound E, and WPE-III-31C, which are all known Notch signaling inhibitors, block adipocyte differentiation to an extent similar to silk peptides. Together, our data demonstrate that silk peptides can modulate adipocyte differentiation through inhibition of the Notch signaling and further suggest potential future strategies for treating obesity and its related metabolic diseases.

Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

PMID:
          [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Glycomann

They a re talking about eating the silk worm cocoon. It is fibroin 70-80%
            and sericin 20 to 30%.

Silk peptides (SP) were obtained from
            Worldway Co., Ltd (Jeoneui, Korea).

Comment

• Number-LL
              Vet
              • Jan 2012

^^^Smarty britches! Thanks.

Thanks for anotther study lifts.

Comment

• Glycomann

^^ it was in the paper

Comment

• ozzy69
                  Assistant Admin
                  • Jun 2011

Looks like I'm eating silk work cocoons now

Comment

• willi
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

I thought I graduated to the height of gross when I started my egg drinking. Now I have to eat a silk worm cocoon? Bring it on!
                    Great Thread!

Comment

• Glycomann

Next I'll be eating a bag of lawn clippings and bird droppings.

Comment

• willi
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Glycomann
                        Next I'll be eating a bag of lawn clippings and bird droppings.
                        Bird droppings are catabolic. Lawn? I eat that all the time.

Comment

Working...