X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DADAWG
    Vet
    • May 2004

965 POUND BENCH PRESS

gene rycheck [ ? spelling ] pressed 965 pounds last weekend at a ipa contest in pennsylvania . supposedly he was wearing a double ply poly inzer phenom shirt which is amazing since most huge benches are done in a 2 or 3 ply denim/canvas shirt .
    thats closing in on the half ton mark . 1000 will fall soon .
    NOT ONLY IS STUPIDITY INCURABLE BUT ITS ALSO CONTAGIOUS OVER THE INTERNET.
  • rado

Originally posted by DADAWG
    gene rycheck [ ? spelling ] pressed 965 pounds last weekend at a ipa contest in pennsylvania . supposedly he was wearing a double ply poly inzer phenom shirt which is amazing since most huge benches are done in a 2 or 3 ply denim/canvas shirt .
    thats closing in on the half ton mark . 1000 will fall soon .
    Sounds good and all, but that's not a natural lift. I know why they use to shirts, but I don't agree with the fact that they use them. Either way, it's a shit load of weight

Comment

• CO-B16
      Vet
      • May 2004

what exactly does a shirt have to do with a lift.... im not sure what these shirts consist of... i cant imagine being able to lift half that...
      THIS POST IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

YO MOMMA

Comment

• quez82
        • Jul 2003

the shirts they use are 3-4 times too small for them...keeps them tight and helps on the push off the chest...dont get me wrong though...you have to get use to the shirt else you'll throwthe weight right into your face ...
        Quez82 does not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• rado

Originally posted by quez82
          the shirts they use are 3-4 times too small for them...keeps them tight and helps on the push off the chest...dont get me wrong though...you have to get use to the shirt else you'll throwthe weight right into your face ...
          Agreed. I've never liked the fact that most of these records have been set with shirts or body suits on, meaning assisted if you ask me. What ever happened to the natural lift, all YOU with no assistance. Check this site out http://www.monstermuscle.com/powermag.asp some good info on what these shirts are about.

Comment

• angrylifter

i agree - i think shirts are bs - its cheating when you think about it - it isn't you lifting that - the shirt is helping you out - but whatever - you can't put them down though - because without the shirt - he is probably doing 800lbs easy - which is a shit load of wieght - how much did that guy wiegh anyways?

Comment

• liftsiron
              Administrator
              • Nov 2003

1000 pound bench on the way, I never would have thought.
              ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Mudge
                • Sep 2003

I am not even allowed to use chalk so I had to break down and buy straps to increase my back lifts (twisted bars and such). I do not wear a belt which I'm sure nobody here does either, since its cheating, so while I can agree on the shirt in part it is also there to protect their shoulders.

Are knee wraps cheating also? Is living in a home with electricity cheating because you are warm and cozy?

Comment

• DADAWG
                  Vet
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by angrylifter
                  i agree - i think shirts are bs - its cheating when you think about it - it isn't you lifting that - the shirt is helping you out - but whatever - you can't put them down though - because without the shirt - he is probably doing 800lbs easy - which is a shit load of wieght - how much did that guy wiegh anyways?
                  it would be cheating if you were useing the shirt or squat suit and the people you competed against werent . as long as the rules are the same for everyone its not cheating . lets face it we all look for the edge either through steroids,equipment,synthol,implants/cosmetic surgery,etc.
                  the only difference is the equipment used in powerlifting not only helps you lift more weight but it protects you from injury

Comment

• Mudge
                    • Sep 2003

Shit yeah, steroids, and even lifting weights is cheating then LOL

Because lifting weights isn't natural!

as long as the rules are the same for everyone its not cheating
                    That says it all right there.

Comment

• CO-B16
                      Vet
                      • May 2004

i saw the shirts, but i just dont see how a tight shirt can help with a lift... im not saying it does not, i just dont see how it does...
                      THIS POST IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

YO MOMMA

Comment

• angrylifter

dadawg - yeah - i see your point - that is the best i have heard about if everyone has the same rules it isn't cheating - - i totally see how that can save your shoulders and shit using supportive gear - i just know that earlier this year a kid at the high shcool i went to got a bench shirt - and did 420lbs, no one else had that extra edge, so i sort of thought of it as cheating a little bit . . . but i totally understand what your saying.

how much does that dude wieght?

Comment

• ctgblue

Originally posted by CO-B16
                          i saw the shirts, but i just dont see how a tight shirt can help with a lift... im not saying it does not, i just dont see how it does...
                          The shirts are not just tight, they are tight across the CHEST, IE they pull your arms and shoulders FORWARD. You basically cannot pull your own shoulders back with this on. They are so tight it takes two helpers to get them on and they burst blood vessels in the arms and chest.
                          Basically it's like putting a giant rubber band across your chest to pull your arms forward, it REALLY helps the lifter to get it off the chest and start the lift more explosively, it's up to them to get past any sticking points after that.
                          If you have a set of inzer knee or wrist wraps, pull them as tight as you can, then imagine something tighter and thicker than that stretched across your chest keeping your arms from moving backwards.

Comment

• rado

Originally posted by ctgblue
                            The shirts are not just tight, they are tight across the CHEST, IE they pull your arms and shoulders FORWARD. You basically cannot pull your own shoulders back with this on. They are so tight it takes two helpers to get them on and they burst blood vessels in the arms and chest.
                            Basically it's like putting a giant rubber band across your chest to pull your arms forward, it REALLY helps the lifter to get it off the chest and start the lift more explosively, it's up to them to get past any sticking points after that.
                            If you have a set of inzer knee or wrist wraps, pull them as tight as you can, then imagine something tighter and thicker than that stretched across your chest keeping your arms from moving backwards.
                            Agreed.

We all use AS here(I assume)so that's cheating right

Comment

• DADAWG
                              Vet
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by angrylifter
                              dadawg - yeah - i see your point - that is the best i have heard about if everyone has the same rules it isn't cheating - - i totally see how that can save your shoulders and shit using supportive gear - i just know that earlier this year a kid at the high shcool i went to got a bench shirt - and did 420lbs, no one else had that extra edge, so i sort of thought of it as cheating a little bit . . . but i totally understand what your saying.

how much does that dude wieght?
                              he was about 380 pounds . as for the kid you mentioned unless he had a lot of experience with the shirt and it was a advanced shirt and not a begginer shirt he probably only added 25-50 pounds to his bench with it .so he was probably nearly a 400 pound bencher without it .

theres a lot of misunderstanding about PL equipment , especially the bench shirt . you hear people say it adds 100 or even 200 pounds to the bench press and in the most extreme cases its possible but what you have to understand is many of these people who have trained for many years just to compete in a bench shirt could care less what their raw maxx is , since the shirt helps get the bar several inches off the chest they have concentrated their training on the middle to upper part of the press . if they hadnt spent years working mostly on the middle and upper part of the press and instead concentrated on the bottom as well their raw maxx would probably be much higher and in turn the shirt would be adding much less to their maxx . the training is very specialized and its sole purpose is to lift the most weight in a bench shirt that is humanly possible .

Comment

Working...