Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Training
User Name
Password

Old 02-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
choke

Gaining muscle for an athletic teen?

Here’s a question that I’m sure some of you gorilla’s will have some guidance about.

My nephew is an excellent athlete, however, he’s lean. My brother and I were both lanky at that age. So I’ve never considered adding muscle at that age. Nor has my brother. We’re both bigger now, and in solid shape. I wish I was like this in fucking high school...

However, my nephew at 15, has been offered an opportunity to join a higher level travel basketball team. However the coach told my brother that the boy needs to put on a little more muscle if he’s going to be competitive at the level they play at.

What do you do for a kid that eats like a horse, athletic, and lean. Obviously, we don’t want to dose him.

I’m clueless, and I don’t like it.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I would have him keep lifting heavy and he needs to consume even more calories, maybe milk shakes with added protein powder.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:02 AM   #3
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
I would have him keep lifting heavy and he needs to consume even more calories, maybe milk shakes with added protein powder.
This. Metab is crazy at that age. When I was his age, I would drink a shake every night before bed- in a blender I would put:

16 oz milk
6 raw eggs
2 scoops ice cream
2 big scoops protein powder
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring

Tasted awesome and packed with cals. Doing that helped get me from 170 at 14 to 230 at 17. Makes it easier than eating an extra meal bcoz you can just chug it in 2 mins.

Another tip - peanut butter! Gram for gram, packed with more cals than anything out there, and affordable. Have him start taking in 2-3 big tablespoons 3x a day between meals, or if he likes PB sandwiches better, so be it. Pack some jelly on there too for extra cals.
Dawgpound_Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:06 AM   #4
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Rocky ate raw eggs but it's not a good idea, the body can't fully digest raw egg because of the protein binding substance they contain. It's broken down by cooking.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerKy View Post
This. Metab is crazy at that age. When I was his age, I would drink a shake every night before bed- in a blender I would put:

16 oz milk
6 raw eggs
2 scoops ice cream
2 big scoops protein powder
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring

Tasted awesome and packed with cals. Doing that helped get me from 170 at 14 to 230 at 17. Makes it easier than eating an extra meal bcoz you can just chug it in 2 mins.

Another tip - peanut butter! Gram for gram, packed with more cals than anything out there, and affordable. Have him start taking in 2-3 big tablespoons 3x a day between meals, or if he likes PB sandwiches better, so be it. Pack some jelly on there too for extra cals.
Got damn! You’re a beast. At 15? You come from a line of silverbacks?

The shakes are obviously a great idea. My go-to now, especially for vegetables. Get the damn things down quickly. And LOVE peanut butter. My fav’ smoothie is

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup blueberries
2 tbsp peanut butter
Collagen protein powder (strawberry)

And damn, it’s like drinking a PB&J sandwich.

So the net net, calories?
Old 02-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
I find that most people in that situation are not eating as much as they feel they are. For that reason it becomes necessary to eat from a rigid meal plan. ThTs what I would do. That way you can measure it. Make it good BBer food and you know what that is, but he’s a teen so throw a baconator and fries with ice cream in there after leg day. Look at him and weigh in weekly and make adjustments based on weight and what you see.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote