Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Female Discussion > Female Diet Forum
User Name
Password

Old 06-30-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Naughty Nurse

High Protein Bad?

High protein diet may be bad for women trying to conceive
June 28, 2004

A moderately high protein diet could reduce a woman's chances of becoming pregnant, according to new research carried out in mice.

Researchers from the US have found that a diet containing 25 percent protein disrupted the normal genetic imprinting pattern in mice embryos at a very early stage in their development. The diet also adversely affected subsequent embryo implantation in the womb, as well as fetal development itself.

The research findings were presented at the 20th annual conference of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology on June 28, 2004.

‘Although our investigations were conducted in mice, our data may have implications for diet and reproduction in humans,’ said Dr. David Gardner, scientific director of the Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine and lead researcher in the study.

Previous research has shown that the amount of protein in the diet affects the levels of ammonium within the female reproductive tract in cows and mice. Ammonium is a naturally occurring substance that has been found to have a negative effect on embryos. It does this by altering genetic information and by holding back fetal development. The gene that is altered — the H19 gene — is a very important factor in normal growth.

Gardner fed mice a diet containing either 25 percent protein (moderately high) or 14 percent protein (an amount considered average for the North American diet) for four weeks. The mice were mated and 42 of the resulting embryos were examined to discover the imprinting status of the H19 gene.

‘We found that only 36 percent of embryos developed in mothers on the 25 percent protein diet showed a normal imprinting pattern, compared to 70 percent in the control group (those that were fed only 14 percent protein),’ said Gardner.

‘Furthermore, only 65 percent of the embryos in the high protein group developed into fetuses once they had been transferred, compared to 81 percent in the control group,’ Gardner said, adding that only 84 percent of the embryos from the high protein group developed further, whereas in the control group 99 percent of the embryos that were implanted continued to develop normally.

‘Analysis of fetal development on the fifteenth day of gestation showed that fetuses from the high protein group were a third of a day behind the control group in their development, and one fetus had a neural tube defect (a birth defect occurring in the brain or spinal cord which can cause spina bifida).

Gardener concluded that eating a moderately high protein diet can adversely affect the chances of an embryo being successfully implanted in the uterus, as well as the normal development of that embryo.

‘These findings, together with similar work carried out in cows, mean that it would be prudent to advise couples who are trying to conceive to ensure that the woman's protein intake is less than 20 percent of their total energy consumption,’ he said.

‘The available data certainly indicate that a high protein diet is not advisable while trying to conceive.’

Source: European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
Old 06-30-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I don't give much credence to these studies, mice are primarilly vegatarians, and cows are total grass and grain eating animals, so I would suppose that a high protein diet would mess with their systems, including the reproductive system. On the other hand antropoligists now believe that man's primary food was and still should be meat. Try a study where women eat nothing but hay for six months and record at what rate they concieve as compared to women on a high protein diet. However when a women becomes to lean, most often she is unable to concieve.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
FContact

FContact is on a distinguished road
It will be interesting to see what further research suggest

Disclaimer: PremierMuscle and FContact do not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.
FContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:48 PM   #4
rado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nurse
High protein diet may be bad for women trying to conceive
June 28, 2004

A moderately high protein diet could reduce a woman's chances of becoming pregnant, according to new research carried out in mice.

Researchers from the US have found that a diet containing 25 percent protein disrupted the normal genetic imprinting pattern in mice embryos at a very early stage in their development. The diet also adversely affected subsequent embryo implantation in the womb, as well as fetal development itself.

The research findings were presented at the 20th annual conference of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology on June 28, 2004.

‘Although our investigations were conducted in mice, our data may have implications for diet and reproduction in humans,’ said Dr. David Gardner, scientific director of the Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine and lead researcher in the study.

Previous research has shown that the amount of protein in the diet affects the levels of ammonium within the female reproductive tract in cows and mice. Ammonium is a naturally occurring substance that has been found to have a negative effect on embryos. It does this by altering genetic information and by holding back fetal development. The gene that is altered — the H19 gene — is a very important factor in normal growth.

Gardner fed mice a diet containing either 25 percent protein (moderately high) or 14 percent protein (an amount considered average for the North American diet) for four weeks. The mice were mated and 42 of the resulting embryos were examined to discover the imprinting status of the H19 gene.

‘We found that only 36 percent of embryos developed in mothers on the 25 percent protein diet showed a normal imprinting pattern, compared to 70 percent in the control group (those that were fed only 14 percent protein),’ said Gardner.

‘Furthermore, only 65 percent of the embryos in the high protein group developed into fetuses once they had been transferred, compared to 81 percent in the control group,’ Gardner said, adding that only 84 percent of the embryos from the high protein group developed further, whereas in the control group 99 percent of the embryos that were implanted continued to develop normally.

‘Analysis of fetal development on the fifteenth day of gestation showed that fetuses from the high protein group were a third of a day behind the control group in their development, and one fetus had a neural tube defect (a birth defect occurring in the brain or spinal cord which can cause spina bifida).

Gardener concluded that eating a moderately high protein diet can adversely affect the chances of an embryo being successfully implanted in the uterus, as well as the normal development of that embryo.

‘These findings, together with similar work carried out in cows, mean that it would be prudent to advise couples who are trying to conceive to ensure that the woman's protein intake is less than 20 percent of their total energy consumption,’ he said.

‘The available data certainly indicate that a high protein diet is not advisable while trying to conceive.’

Source: European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
Nice post. I will save this for future use
Old 06-30-2004, 10:41 PM   #5
CO-B16
Vet

CO-B16 is on a distinguished road
i dont see how this is completely true... i agree with lifts... they need to study on carnivores, not vegitarians...

YO MOMMA
CO-B16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #6
Naughty Nurse

I know...I never post my own opinions on articles....but suffice to say, I've always kept a pretty high intake, and my son is both extremely happy, and healthy....and noisy, and demanding.....lol
Old 07-02-2004, 10:47 AM   #7
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nurse
I know...I never post my own opinions on articles....but suffice to say, I've always kept a pretty high intake, and my son is both extremely happy, and healthy....and noisy, and demanding.....lol

That's good to hear, when kids are loud and getting into everthing, they often are the same childern who do very well in school, and later in life.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:37 AM   #8
Naughty Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron
That's good to hear, when kids are loud and getting into everthing, they often are the same childern who do very well in school, and later in life.
Great to know..you have experience in this then?

He'll undoutedly be a rocket scientist then! lol
Old 07-05-2004, 01:29 AM   #9
rubberduckyo

I find this article disturbing. They gotta do a LOT more research to convince me. Of the things I've read, nothing sounds concrete at all to me. Just a bunch of speculation.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #10
Naughty Nurse

Everyone must take things they read with an open mind.....I just tuck these tidbits in my brain in case I ever need to recall it.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:47 PM   #11
powerlifter
VET

powerlifter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron
I don't give much credence to these studies, mice are primarilly vegatarians, and cows are total grass and grain eating animals, so I would suppose that a high protein diet would mess with their systems, including the reproductive system. On the other hand antropoligists now believe that man's primary food was and still should be meat. Try a study where women eat nothing but hay for six months and record at what rate they concieve as compared to women on a high protein diet. However when a women becomes to lean, most often she is unable to concieve.

I totally agree with you lifts - this study is F.O.S
Anything I say is for educational purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose or treat. Please consult with your medical practitioner, as they will be able to see and more accurately gauge the depth of the problem...my advice shall be meant as suggestions only, as advice and opinions can vary widely amongst professionals.
powerlifter is offline   Reply With Quote