Moderators! Good/Bad?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Easto

Moderators! Good/Bad?

I would like everyones opinion on this: Mods, Admin, Members, Guests (register on comment on this).

(1) What qualities makes a good MOD?
  • elijah_123

Trustworthy, knowledgable (book and experience), and at least some people skills.

Oh yeah they can't be canadian! hehehe

Comment

• Easto

- I think they have to have respect for the board and its members.
      - Self control (don't abuse MOD powers).
      - Knowledge of sources and scammers.
      - Willing to put time into the board to make it more enjoyable for the staff, but more importantly for the members.

Comment

• GEARHEAD

a good mod has a sharp eye!!!!! seeing all the lottle things that people post.........hands on exp. i think is more important to book smart.......a guy that supports his board and all other mods, and being able to bite their tonge, even when replying to a total assholes' thread

Comment

• JohnnyB
          vet
          • Jul 2003

I think a concern for health and the safety of the staff and members helps.

JohnnyB

Comment

• rado

You have to put yourself in that persons shoes for a second when you give out YOUR advice, pretend it's YOU. It really doesn't matter whether you have done 2 cycles or 8 cycles, as long as you know your stuff, which is possible by reading and researching, then make sure the advice you give would be as if you where the person taking it. You DO have to a well respected person around the boards as well, to some degree though. Some people may not like you and some may. I think WE all know around the net who is and who's not.

Comment

• Easto

Nice post doc!

Comment

• swampwood

I find that the best MODS are the ones that answer the question asked First..... then add opinions,safety concerns in nice way.
                I find experience(lots) the best(not what someone heard from another board) with book info Second. If you haven't done 10 cycles .... don't teach.

Comment

• rock

people skills

devotion

concern for health of members

Comment

• rado

Originally posted by DRveejay11
                    From BigJay

What makes a good moderator (good read)

Some of the most powerful people on the Internet are commoners like you and me. The effective moderation of a successful forum takes a great amount of discipline and ability, but yields great success and respect. It’s very likely that these superusers are lingering in forums and communities across the Web. They might not be moderators in every case, but chances are they’re highly respected individuals with a lot of influence in the communities in which they participate.

A big part of my personal success in this area comes from my passion for quality leadership. Leadership takes many forms and manifests itself in various ways in our lives. Individuals like Winston Churchill and Rudy Giuliani manifested leadership in their times of crisis. Leadership is influence, and these were among the most influential people of their times.

Leadership Is Influence
                    If you moderate a community, large or small, or you’re charged with the task of administering one, let this article be a challenge to you. A position does not make you a leader. Influence makes you a leader.

The fact is that, as a moderator, you have a unique gift called leadership. This gift has given you the opportunity to work as a moderator on whatever board you’re part of. But leadership is simply a raw force -- an energy -- that drives us and influences others. It’s like fire, having the potential to both bring reward and cause harm. It depends on the person who wields that leadership, and the maturity with which he or she uses it.

In every culture there is a point in time where the child crosses the line into adulthood. In some African tribes, rites of initiation must be passed through before a boy becomes a man, while others simply have a "graduation" ceremony – for example, the Jewish Bahmitzvah.

In most western societies, a boy becomes a “man” when he reaches the age of maturity. Being a boy does not take masculinity from the boy: he is as masculine a boy as he will be a man (unless something happens in a hospital somewhere!). But he is only recognized as a man once he reaches a certain age, or displays a certain level of maturity.

Similarly, in the world of influence, a leader is not made, but a leader is recognized.

Tom Landry, the legendary former coach of the Dallas Cowboys (which, I might add is NOT America’s, team!) once said:

"Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control."

The key lies not in controlling the surroundings, but in being able to control you own responses to those surroundings... how you carry yourself, your composure and collectedness, how you ask and respond to questions.

Leadership is defined by how you promote what you are trying to create, rather than how you denounce what you are against. People will, to a degree, more readily accept correction from someone who has a relationship with them than someone who just wants to lay down law.

Work Yourself Out Of a Job
                    One of the most critical links in the leadership chain is the mentoring process. This is often overlooked by those in leadership positions who are more concerned with their own personal power and control than in raising up effective leaders, and this alone can be the biggest stumbling block to community growth.

There is a four-step process to nurturing fresh leadership.

1. Let them watch you do the job.

This is the step where potential leaders are recognized. In this step, existing leaders notice those who naturally stand out and seem to attract others through natural charisma, knowledge and abilities. These individuals are not necessarily destined to be leaders, but they exhibit leadership traits. It’s at this step that a new candidate is chosen.

2. Teach them to do the job.

At this stage, the candidate helps the leader perform his duties, learning the trade along the way. The leader will impart valuable insight and maturity throughout this process, instructing the trainee as they work together. A good example of this would be an electrician’s apprentice.

3. Make room for them to do the job.

This is where the trainee gets all his practice. A wise leader makes room for failure, allowing the trainee to learn the hard way, by making mistakes, and shape his own philosophies and tendencies. An effective leader will not quench opposing ideas, but will corral these philosophies and traits toward a commonly-held positive goal, teaching the trainee how to use those qualities to have a positive influence on those that are being led.

4. Get out of the way and let the new leader do the job.

This is the final step. The trainee has matured and gained valuable wisdom and insight through the training process. They’ve made mistakes and learned the hard way. They have established a rapport with those they’re to lead, who look to the leader for direction. At this point the leader can step back and allows the protege to do the job without individual restraint. New ideas and philosophies flow into the arena, and the new leader can begin to look among those he leads for people that exhibit the qualities of a future leader. And so the cycle continues.

The Trust Factor
                    A deciding factor in good leadership is to determine whether people are following the leader, or simply obeying him. Anyone can get into a community and start telling others what the rules are, but if that person doesn’t demonstrate that they can be trusted, the people will simply obey and not follow.

How do you establish trust and confidence? Good question. One way is by communicating a vision of where you are going, what you are doing and what you believe. If people sense a lack of confidence or ability, they will not respect your place as a leader. It’s important to understand that the people make you a leader, not a higher-up. By establishing this respect with those you work with, you will be recognized as a leader.

good post !!!

Comment

• teekahty

Lack of Ego
                      acknowledging that every one starts somewhere
                      Not abusing power EVER!
                      answer all questions. without an attitude ( even the ones you have heard a thousand or more times )
                      remembering that Mod is just a title , and it does not make you any better than anyone else
                      Know what the hell your talking about
                      if someone seeks you out for help . I.E. E-mail or PM . than do everything you can to help them .. no matter how much it may be their own fault that they are in their current situation
                      Understand that there may be differing opinions or viewpoints out there, be willing to keep an open mind
                      always , ALWAYS , back fellow Mods in an open forum, even from other boards . if you feel they are wrong . take it to a PM or a secure forum .

and always keep in mind . that this is a PART of your life .. it should not BE your life ,
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2003, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• FKITLETSGO

I just know that i have tons of room for improvement. like making more time.

Comment

• JohnnyB
                          vet
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by FKITLETSGO
                          I just know that i have tons of room for improvement.
                          We all do, it's when you start think you don't need to improve, that's when the problems start.

I remember I was at a board once, a member started in on me about an IP question I asked. Then their guru mod jumped in, with the same crap. I had 3 posts at that board, but I let them both know how I felt. To tell you the truth it was a waste of time, but they pissed me off, so I had to let them know how I felt.

I have to say that was one of my low points on the boards. I'm not one to start things, but I won't walk away either.

I guess my 2 things that bug me is someone who thinks they know it all and someone that pick on people that know less then them.

JohnnyB

Comment

• turboguy

knowledge, rescources, related experiences, people skills, time for research, approval of the public, competes, sharing.....

i am sure everyone has covered every area that i can't thik of or already thought of.

Comment

• Pudgy

1. NO ego
                              2. NO ego
                              3. see one and two

the rest you can teach

Comment

Working...