Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • millenium girl
    • Apr 2006

Millions of people 'waste their time by jogging'

Millions of people who strive to keep fit by jogging, swimming or going to the gym are wasting their time, scientists said.

Researchers have discovered that the health benefits of aerobic exercise are determined by our genes - and can vary substantially between individuals.

Around 20 per cent of the population do not get any significant aerobic fitness benefit from regular exercise, according to an international study led by scientists at the University of London.

For these people, regular jogging and gym work will do little to ward off conditions like heart disease and diabetes which aerobic exercise is generally thought to resist.

Researchers say they would be better off abandoning their exercise regime and focusing on other ways of staying healthy - such as improving their diet or taking medication.

James Timmons of the Royal Veterinary College at the University of London, who led the study, said that the discovery would pave the way for more personalised treatments, with patients able to take DNA tests to find out the most effective way of keeping their own hearts healthy.

It could also be used to root out would-be recruits to the Armed Forces who will never be able to reach the required fitness standards.

Dr Timmons said the research broke new ground by using the human genome - the genetic map of the body which was decoded by scientists 10 years ago - to suggest improvements to healthcare.

"This would be one of the first examples of personalised, genomic-based medicine," he said.

As part of the research, published in the Journal of Applied Physiology, more than 500 participants in Europe and the US were asked to undergo various aerobic training programmes in line with government advice to do 30 minutes of exercise five times a week.

By the end of the 20, 12 and six week programmes the majority of people had shown a measurable improvement in how much oxygen their body consumes during exercise, a key indicator of aerobic fitness.

But 20 per cent saw their maximum oxygen increase by less than five per cent - a negligible improvement. Around 30 per cent showed no increase in insulin sensitivity, meaning that the exercise did not reduce their risk of diabetes.

A pioneering analysis of muscle tissue samples taken from the participants revealed a set of about 30 genes that predicted the increase in oxygen intake. Of these, 11 were shown to have a particular impact on how much a person could benefit from aerobic exercise.

Dr Timmons said: “We know that low maximal oxygen consumption is a strong risk factor for premature illness and death so the tendency is for public health experts to automatically prescribe aerobic exercise to increase oxygen capacity.

"Our hope is that before too long, they will be able to target that prescription just to those who may stand a greater chance of benefiting, and prescribe more effective preventive or therapeutic measures to the others.”

Research published by the British Heart Foundation this week found that one third of adults do their recommended 30 minutes of physical activity a day.

At their peak seven years ago 8.7 million Britons paid to attend gyms, although memberships have fallen since the start of the recession.

The research was conducted in association with the Human Genomics Laboratory in Louisiana and the Centre for Healthy Ageing at the University of Copenhagen.
    Don't forget to join
    http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
    http://www.basskilleronline.com
  • Scotsmark
    VET
    • Apr 2005

I'm not sure here, what level of fitness are we talking about - Olympic standard?
    I've seen the benefits in hundreds or more people from taking up regular exercise regimes and eating healthier diets, whether in the Army or on Oil Rigs.
    Whether genetically disposed to disease or not, a healthy lifestyle including regular exercise will reap benefits - even if they are only psychological.

I also believe that reports like this will just add fuel to the arguments of the fat & lazy against doing any form of exercise by saying "I'm genetically this way, exercise doesn't help, it says so on the internet" (use Eric Cartman's voice for that quote)

I'm not against the post, MG, I just think it shouldn't be read by certian members of society!

Comment

• Thate
      Vet
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by millenium girl
      better off abandoning their exercise regime and focusing on other ways of staying healthy - such as improving their diet or taking medication.
      WTF?

Comment

• workingout
        VET
        • Apr 2004

its all in how you word it.

--------------VS---------------------------

Billions of people 'increase their health by jogging'

The news always goes with doom and gloom. I just saw an article that said Toyota received almost 100 reports that the Camry had power steering problems. Well guess what? Toyota sold more than 300,000 Camry's in the U.S. and 1.3 million world wide. That works out to about 0.00035% of the Camry's sold in the U.S. had the problem in question. Now that's not much of a head line.

Back to the article at hand...

If the worlds population is 6,803,611,571 then 20% of that is aprox 1.4 B people who don't receive benefit from aerobic exercise. Now that still leaves 80% of the worlds population who do receive benefit from aerobic exercise, equating to about 5.4 Billion people.

The authors of the study could have just as easily titled the study

"5.4 Billion People will receive positive benefits from exercise based on their genetic predisposition" and the information within would have remained technically true. However, they (the authors of the study) have been brainwashed by the media and believe that the only way to get noticed is to point out the bad.
        He who does not strike first is the first stricken.

BS ESS

Comment

• workingout
          VET
          • Apr 2004

BTW the 20% who don't respond to exercise normally should be put down after they test positive for defective genes. The planet cant afford to support living organisms who are only going to drag everyone else down.

BS ESS

Comment

• Rocky07

Originally posted by workingout
            BTW the 20% who don't respond to exercise normally should be put down after they test positive for defective genes. The planet cant afford to support living organisms who are only going to drag everyone else down.
            workinout u make me proud sometimes! i totally agree with this. there is no defective gene that keeps u from reaping benefits of exercise. There is a McDonalds and a BurgerKing and a Wendy's and a Taco Bell, etc.
            I used to work at a Golds Gym as a salesman. They would make us go out basically recruiting people to join the gym...i never did reallly good at this even though i could prolly sell ice to an eskimo. my argument always used to be, "you can run your mouth and tell people about fitness and how great your gym is all u want to. you can even "guarantee results" (as Golds does) but u cant persuade someone into doing something that they just dont wanna do, especially when they have NO motive and are satisfied with the way they look (which 9x out of 10, was out of shape)." People will always make excuses to get out of doin work...anything that requires use of the mind or the muscle is usually too much on todays society. It will only get worse too....this is why we have the problem that we do with all these damn illegal mexicans over here now. God forbid if u are mexican i am totally not hating on you, unless u are an illegal one...if so, then go the fuck back home!!!! we have so many lazy people today...ill tell u what kinda bullshit they do in my state to fix it too--lol when i was in highschool it became apparent that the majority of the nation is overweight (i dunno how long they had been sittin on that information, nor who let the cat outta the box lol) so they decided to alter our highschool lunches. Every public school in the whole damn united states has pizza on friday. we didnt after this shockin news hit! in a public highschool you already hardly get any food as it is (1 meat, 2 veg, 1 milk) and then they wanted to start hitting us with "portion control" after that. it was seriously stupid! but thats the price the kids are payin today bc their stupid ass parents are too busy to either teach them about health or feed them healthy food...or even worse-teach them about having respect for their bodies. We have a McDonalds right next to our school tho and what ended up happening was 1 kid would skip class or check out, take up a bunch of money and go buy MDs for 8-10 people. this happened in nearly every class. so NO our school not only wasnt gonna benefit from this anyway but we certainly didnt bc it actually drove kids to eatin MDs more often lol.

if u really wanna weed out the weak and motivate the worthy then it starts with 100% honesty lol...if a chick comes up and tries to get your number and you say no and she asks why--well if shes overweight - tell her "cause ur a fat ass"--this will cause 1 of 2 things...she will either go home and kill herself or go to a gym and get on a treadmill. there we go...theres the solution....HONESTY! Bam!!-like a smack in the face!
            --words of wisdom from the physiologically stupid MF'er!

P.S. if it is bc she is ugly, just tell her she's not your type because at the current moment "UGLY" is not a curable disease as is Stupidity!

Comment

• John Benz
              Vet
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by workingout
              its all in how you word it.

--------------VS---------------------------

Billions of people 'increase their health by jogging'

The news always goes with doom and gloom. I just saw an article that said Toyota received almost 100 reports that the Camry had power steering problems. Well guess what? Toyota sold more than 300,000 Camry's in the U.S. and 1.3 million world wide. That works out to about 0.00035% of the Camry's sold in the U.S. had the problem in question. Now that's not much of a head line.

Back to the article at hand...

If the worlds population is 6,803,611,571 then 20% of that is aprox 1.4 B people who don't receive benefit from aerobic exercise. Now that still leaves 80% of the worlds population who do receive benefit from aerobic exercise, equating to about 5.4 Billion people.

The authors of the study could have just as easily titled the study

"5.4 Billion People will receive positive benefits from exercise based on their genetic predisposition" and the information within would have remained technically true. However, they (the authors of the study) have been brainwashed by the media and believe that the only way to get noticed is to point out the bad.
              Well said workingout. I've never met ANYONE who didn't feel positive benefits from aerobic exercise. That study is just plain out in left field.

Comment

• Thate
                Vet
                • Mar 2007

I do definitely agree that running sucks

Comment

• jboldman
                  VET
                  • Feb 2007

i would guess that there are 20% of the participants who were non-compliant! that is an issue with "studies" like these

jb
                  Admin CuttingEdgeMuscle.com

Comment

• liftsiron
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2003

I'm not much for jogging the human body was never built to jog, either a brisk walk or an all out sprint is what we were engineered for. MG find articles that stimulate discussion. MG lives a very active lifestyle which includes weight training and nutritional supplementation.
                    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Scotsmark
                      VET
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by liftsiron
                      I'm not much for jogging the human body was never built to jog, either a brisk walk or an all out sprint is what we were engineered for. MG find articles that stimulate discussion. MG lives a very active lifestyle which includes weight training and nutritional supplementation.
                      Lifts, nomadic tribespeople in Sub-Saharan Africa are designed for jogging. The Masai peoples of Kenya have evolved with longer legs, shorter, higher muscle bellies and larger Achilles tendons than westerners. They used to jog to get to where their prey were (herbivourious migratory animals like wildebeast & zebra).
                      I spent 6 weeks living among these people, the elders and of course, our M.O. would tell us all these things but it is very apparent when stood next to a Masai Warrior.

Anyway, some very good posts after the main one,

Q -the root cause of heart disease in the West?

A - LAZINESS!

Comment

• liftsiron
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Scotsmark
                        Lifts, nomadic tribespeople in Sub-Saharan Africa are designed for jogging. The Masai peoples of Kenya have evolved with longer legs, shorter, higher muscle bellies and larger Achilles tendons than westerners. They used to jog to get to where their prey were (herbivourious migratory animals like wildebeast & zebra).
                        I spent 6 weeks living among these people, the elders and of course, our M.O. would tell us all these things but it is very apparent when stood next to a Masai Warrior.

Anyway, some very good posts after the main one,

Q -the root cause of heart disease in the West?

A - LAZINESS!
                        Ok I concede but in our good old USA to often older, overweight individuals jump right into a jogging routine very often with disastrous results. Thanks for your comments, they are always appreciated.
                        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Narkissos
                          Vet
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by millenium girl
                          James Timmons of the Royal Veterinary College at the University of London, who led the study,
                          Say what?
                          Owner of:

Mod/VIP/VET @ Other Boards

"Your Passion defines your Priorities"--Corey Worrell

Comment

• workingout
                            VET
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Narkissos
                            Say what?

ya can you believe that,

BS ESS

Comment

• Narkissos
                              Vet
                              • Mar 2005

It's crazy. I'm waiting to hear about it on the news, so thousands of fatties here (in my country) can start quoting it.
                              Owner of:

Mod/VIP/VET @ Other Boards

"Your Passion defines your Priorities"--Corey Worrell

Comment

Working...