Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baby1
    • Jun 2009

The Dark Side of Vitamin D

Could you be OD’ing on vitamin D? If you’re taking megadoses of D supplements, you just might be. Excessive vitamin D levels are linked to heart problems, according to a recent study presented at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions.

Researchers examined blood tests of 132,000 patients over a 1.5-year period. The findings: People who had excessive levels of vitamin D in their blood were 2.5 times more likely to develop atrial fibrillation (AF) compared to those with normal levels, says study author T. Jared Bunch, M.D. AF causes the heart to beat too fast, too slow, or irregularly, increasing the risk of stroke and heart failure.

In the study, 1.4 percent of patients with normal vitamin D levels developed AF compared to 3.8 percent in the excessive range. Normal vitamin D levels are defined as 41 to 80 ng/ml (nanograms per milliliter); excessive levels are more than 100 ng/dl.

Low levels of D are associated with conditions like heart disease and depression. Many doctors recommend taking a supplement to beef up stores—especially for those living in colder climates who bundle up in the winter and therefore don’t get much D-producing sun exposure. The problem? We often assume that taking more is better, so people pop multiple pills and end up taking a huge dose (like 10,000 IU/day).

How much is too much? Bunch says that men can safely take anywhere from 600 IU to 4,000 IU of vitamin D daily. Those diagnosed with AF and taking vitamin D should ask their doctor for a blood test to check if excessive levels of D are linked to their heart problems. For everyone else, “the only way to know how much vitamin D you need, or if you need any at all, is by taking a blood test,” Bunch says. Have your vitamin D levels checked when you go in for your first cholesterol screening, which should happen by or before your 40th birthday. from Mens Health
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

I would like to see the study if you can find it. There is a big push by the pharmaceutical industry to prove vitamins dangerous.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• baby1
      • Jun 2009

here is a link

Comment

• baby1
        • Jun 2009

I wil still continue to take my vitamin d as my level is on the lower end. My father has afib so this info interested me. Everything in moderation!

Comment

• Lokedogg
          Vet
          • Jan 2008

My wife said the doctors at the nursing home she works at are prescribing their patients 50,000iu/wk. They do D3oh tests and none of their levels show an excess at this dosage. I'm sure there are malabsorption issues in the elderly but this supposedly more closely mimicks sun exposure levels. I'm not sure how much that would translate to younger healthier individuals with no absorption problems but I would imagine at least 25,000iu/wk would be safe. I'm not advocating anything just passing this info.

Comment

• liftsiron
            Administrator
            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Lokedogg
            My wife said the doctors at the nursing home she works at are prescribing their patients 50,000iu/wk. They do D3oh tests and none of their levels show an excess at this dosage. I'm sure there are malabsorption issues in the elderly but this supposedly more closely mimicks sun exposure levels. I'm not sure how much that would translate to younger healthier individuals with no absorption problems but I would imagine at least 25,000iu/wk would be safe. I'm not advocating anything just passing this info.
            I agree, whenever you see a study like this be sceptical because many are funded by the big drug companies who are pushing to make vitamins and other supps available by Rx only.
            ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Magnesium
              Vet
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by liftsiron
              I agree, whenever you see a study like this be sceptical because many are funded by the big drug companies who are pushing to make vitamins and other supps available by Rx only.
              very true, there is no money to be made when people are healthy.

i tried finding anything related to this in pubmed or through the other journal data bases and only came up with one saying that vitamin d deficiency is not linked to AF.

The american heart association was also a key player in bringing us the 55-60% kcal of your diet from carbs with low fat. Great recommendation there.

Comment

Working...