X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Number-LL
    Vet
    • Jan 2012

CoQ10

CoQ10 supplementation improves glycemic control, lowers cholesterol in randomized trial

CoQ10 supplementation improves glycemic control, lowers cholesterol in randomized trialJuly 22, 2013. The June, 2013 issue of the journal Minerva Gastroenterologica e Dietologica describes a clinical trial conducted at Tehran University of Medical Sciences in Iran which found improved glycemic control and lower cholesterol levels among diabetics given coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10).

The trial included 64 men and women between 20 and 60 years of age with type 2 diabetes who were randomized to receive 200 milligrams coenzyme Q10 or a placebo for 12 weeks. Blood samples collected upon enrollment and at the trial’s conclusion were analyzed for fasting glucose, hemoglobin A1C (a measure of long term glucose control) and lipids.

At the end of the trial, serum hemoglobin A1C, total cholesterol, and low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol were reduced in the group that received CoQ10 but did not change significantly in the placebo group. Fasting glucose, triglycerides and high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol did not appear to be affected by CoQ10.

In their discussion, authors R. Kolahdouz Mohammadi and colleagues comment that the elevation of blood glucose that occurs in diabetes can increase the generation of reactive oxygen species, which worsen diabetes complications and pancreatic beta cell dysfunction. The decreased antioxidant reserve observed in diabetics may be responsible for some of the benefits attributed to CoQ10 supplementation which, due to its antioxidant property, helps protect beta cells from glucose toxicity.

“The results of this study showed that 12 weeks Q10 supplementation can improve glycemic control, total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol but further studies are needed to confirm these findings,” they conclude.
    I don't chase boys, I pass them! - My Daughter

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. - Marcus Aurelius

Unrequited thoughts will remain unless action separates itself from dreams and the ambition becomes sufficient to advance toward a set goal.
  • willi
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Thanks for the post on that, Number. My wife uses that everyday and believes it has many advantages including helping maintain good cholesterol levels. She is medical so she knows about those things.

Comment

• Number-LL
      Vet
      • Jan 2012

I started using when I was on a statin drug for cholesterol. They have been shown to reduce CoQ10 levels.
      I don't chase boys, I pass them! - My Daughter

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. - Marcus Aurelius

Unrequited thoughts will remain unless action separates itself from dreams and the ambition becomes sufficient to advance toward a set goal.

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

I take 200mgs ed, it's also very beneficial for the heart and brain.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

Working...