Sub-Q Injection

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Easto

Sub-Q Injection

For my post cycle, I am thinking about doing some slin. I have never done a sub-q shot, so I was wondering if any of you guys have any websites I can check out, Personal experiences, ect.

Thanks!
  • Dizzy

Indications

1. Patient requires medication (i.e. insulin or heparin)
    Prerequisites

2. Check patient allergy/contra-indications to medication

Equipment Required

1. Medication

2. Syringe (smallest possible)

3. 2 needles (18ga for loading syringe 25ga - 27ga for injection, 3/8" - 5/8")

4. Antiseptic wipes

5. Bandage

Procedure

1. Draw-up medication into syringe (max. volume = 1ml).

2. Eject air & excess medication.

3. Change to sharp injection needle.

4. Select site:
    Common sites: lateral arm, abdomen, flank, & thigh. Avoid: bony prominences, large vessels/nerves, & inflamed/defon-ned skin areas.
    Clean injection site with antiseptic wipe.

5. Pinch skin around injection site between 1st & 2nd digits.

6. Insert needle @ 45-90' (450 is typical).

7. Release skin pinch.

8. Inject medication slowly.

9. Withdraw needle quickly.

10. Massage area with antiseptic wipe.
    Complications

Possible tissue breakdown with repetitive injections (rotate sites)

Local infection/irritation, soreness, bruising.
    Follow-up

Check for signs of tissue breakdown with chronic injection pts.

Comment

• FKITLETSGO

sub-q only means under the skin.....so a sub q injection would be under the layer of skin inside the layer of fat

Comment

• Easto

I actually found a pretty good link here:

http://www.bddiabetes.co.uk/cgi-bin/bd/bd/...Channel=-201984

Comment

• Dieselboy

The subecutaneous layer contains large arteries and veins; the remaining areas contain a limited number of capillaries and no vital organs. The last characteristic makes subcutaneous injection a useful method for administering drugs.
          Subcutaneous is also known as Hypodermis. The familiar term hypodermic needle refers to the region targeted for injection.
          I hope this helps you out with little understanding to sub-q injections.

Comment

• JohnnyB
            vet
            • Jul 2003

Sup H-Bomb

JohnnyB

Comment

• Dieselboy

what up bro

Comment

• Easto

Step by Step Instructions

1) Select a site fore insulin injection. Insulin may be injected into the fatty layer of tissue of the upper arm, the thighs, or the abdomen.

2) Clean the injection site with an alcohol pad and allow it to dry.

3) Pick up your prepared syringe and uncap it to expose the needle.

4) Pinch a fold of skin and quickly push the needle straight into the skin. Be sure that the needle is all the way in.

5) Quickly push the plunger all the way down to inject the entire insulin dose. Once the dose is injected, release the pinched skin and pull the needle straight out. Press on the injection site with an alcohol pad but do not rub the injection site.

6) Dispose of the syringe and needle properly after injection.

Additional Tips for Injecting Insulin

1) It is less painful and less damaging to the body’s tissues if the insulin dose is brought to room temperature just prior to injecting.

2) Rotate your injection sites—give each insulin shot in a different spot.

3) Keep a record of your insulin injections in a log book—write down the time and the dose of each insulin injection. Show your log book to your doctor at each appointment.

4) Always check with your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions.

Injection Video:
                Media Player

Real Player

Comment

Working...