X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigSickD
    Vet
    • May 2004

Flaxseed vs. Fish Oil

This was an article written by Milos Sarcev in Flex magazine in his question and answer nutrition forum...I thought it was very informative and wanted to pass it on to you good members...

Q: What is the best supplemental form of healthy fats?

A: I'm glad you asked. I'm a huge proponent of supplementing a bodybuilding diet with healthy fats. First, bodybuilders should be certain that they are getting plenty of healthy fats from their food choices. I recommend that each day you consume some of the following foods: salmon, and other fatty fish, nuts and seeds, olives and olive oil, and avocados. On top of this, I recommend supplementing with flaxseed oil or fish oil either in pill or liquid form. Of these two, it appears that fish oil is the better choice, with flaxseed oil being a strong runner-up.

-Fish oil has a better fat profile
    Fish oil contains more eicosapentaenoic acid(EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid(DHA) than does flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil is rich in alpha-linolenic acid(ALA). Recent research determined that EPA and DHA, the longer-chain omega-3 fatty acids, are more potent in their biological effects than is ALA. The omega-3's in fish oil are essential components of brain cells, nerve cells, visual receptors, adrenal glands and sex glands, and are important for a whole host of other biological functions, as well. This makes fish oil a better source of healthy fats than flaxseed oil.

-Flaxseed oil must be converted in the body
    Again, while flaxseed oil is a good second choice, it is inferior to fish oil because flaxseed oil must undergo a conversion process in the body. When you consume flaxseed oil, your body can make the existing omega-3's into those with the more desirable profile(DHA and EPA) but this extra step can be problematic for some. Most people should be able to convert fine (as long as the necessary cofactors are present; i.e., eating a healthy balanced diet). But a small percentage of the population may genetically be inefficient converters, for whom fish oil would be better than taking flax.

-Flax keeps better than fish oil
    While fish oil is superior to flax in its nutritional profile, one advantage of flaxseed oil is that you can store it longer than fish oil. Fish oils are prone to going rancid very quickly, and they are seldom refridgerated, compounding the problem. In addition, fish oils are more subject to pollution issues, unlike organically grown flax. If this is a concern of yours, then flax may be the better option for you.

Dosage-
    I recommend that you take two to three grams of fish oil a day, as one or two doses, with meals. If you opt for flax, take one to three grams two or three times per day with meals.
    BigSickD does not actually exist. He is the alter ego of a punkass 17yo kid that doesn't even workout.
  • PreMier

Great post man.

Comment

• rado

Awesome post.....I take flax ED right now.

Comment

• CO-B16
        Vet
        • May 2004

good post.... i do take a combo of flax, fish, and borage.... works for me....
        THIS POST IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

YO MOMMA

Comment

• ctgblue

I take CLA and Fish oil pills, but I have been using MCT powder in my MRP's and pre-bed shakes, it has been working great.

Comment

• liftsiron
            Administrator
            • Nov 2003

I take quite a few fish oils caps everyday.
            ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• powerlifter
              VET
              • May 2004

Originally posted by liftsiron
              I take quite a few fish oils caps everyday.
              great for the heart
              Anything I say is for educational purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose or treat. Please consult with your medical practitioner, as they will be able to see and more accurately gauge the depth of the problem...my advice shall be meant as suggestions only, as advice and opinions can vary widely amongst professionals.

Comment

• BigSickD
                Vet
                • May 2004

I am bumping this cause it is good info...
                BigSickD does not actually exist. He is the alter ego of a punkass 17yo kid that doesn't even workout.

Comment

• centralnjbill

Great article. Whether you use flaxseed or fish oil, using either is a great thing for your body.

Comment

Working...