X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FContact
    • Oct 2003

UFC 67 Results

FULL RESULTS

-Anderson Silva def. Travis Lutter by submission (strikes while in a triangle choke) at 2:11 of Round 2

-Mirko Cro Cop def. Eddie Sanchez by TKO (referee stoppage due to strikes) at 4:33 of Round 1

-Roger Huerta def. John Halverson by TKO at 0:19 of Round 1

-Quinton Jackson def. Marvin Eastman by TKO (referee stoppage due to strikes) at 3:49 of Round 2

-Patrick Cote def. Scott Smith by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

-Terry Martin def. Jorge Rivera by KO at 0:14 of Round 1

-Frank Edgar def. Tyson Griffin by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)

-Ryoto Machida def. Sam Hoger by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

-Dustin Hazelett def. Diego Saraiva by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Disclaimer: PremierMuscle and FContact do not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

02/04/2007
    Silva Submits Lutter; Cro Cop and Rampage Score TKOs at UFC 67
    By Thomas Gerbasi

LAS VEGAS, February 3 – Travis Lutter not only lost a chance at the UFC Middleweight Championship and disappointed fight fans at the Mandalay Bay Events Center by coming in overweight for his UFC 67 main event bout tonight, he also succeeded in making the champion, Anderson Silva, angry, resulting in a second round submission win for ‘The Spider’, who survived some rocky first round moments to move to 3-0 in the Octagon and 18-4 overall.

“I’m a standup fighter, but my jiu-jitsu skills can stand up to anyone in the weight class,” said Silva, whose first two UFC wins – over Rich Franklin and Chris Leben – were by first round stoppages. “You saw that by what I did to Travis Lutter.”

The fight was no walk in the park for the champion though.

Greeted with boos for his failure to make weight, Lutter stalked and looked for a takedown early on while Silva effortlessly moved away and out of danger. Trying for a flying knee moments later, Silva’s attack was muffled by Lutter, who got the takedown of the off-balance Brazilian. Put to the mat for the first time in his UFC tenure, Silva fought off Lutter’s attack and stood up, only to have the Texan grab his foot and put him down again. This time, Lutter was more aggressive offensively, but so was Silva, as he fought back from the bottom. Eventually, with one minute left, Lutter got to side control and then to the full mount. Lutter pounded away, but Silva weathered the storm and stood up, drawing a roar from the crowd. Lutter stayed on the mat, drawing boos as the round ended.

Lutter opened the second with another takedown, but this time Silva responded with a kick to the head from the ground. Visibly hurt, Lutter fell into Silva’s triangle choke attempt and the champion pounded away with both hands until Luttter was forced to tap out at the 2:11 mark.

With the defeat, Lutter – who blew his guaranteed title shot after winning the fourth season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ reality show by coming in at 186.5 pounds, one and a half pounds over the middleweight limit – falls to 12-4.

With the flags of his native Croatia waving in the crowd, heavyweight superstar Mirko Cro Cop made his long-awaited UFC debut and delivered in style for his legion of fans, stopping previously unbeaten Eddie Sanchez in the first round of a scheduled three rounder.

Cro Cop, arriving in the UFC after a stellar career in Japan for the K-1 and Pride organizations, wasted no time getting down to business, landing two stiff left punches and a kick to the midsection as he eluded Sanchez’ initial lunges. The two then traded punches as the Croatian continued to stalk, eventually grazing Sanchez with a left high kick that still made an audible thump.

Looking amateurish with his wild swings, Sanchez continued to backpedal as Cro Cop moved forward with bad intentions. With 1:35 left, Cro Cop stunned Sanchez with a high left kick, and his follow-up attack put the Californian on the mat. Cro Cop quickly got into the mounted position and opened fire, with referee Steve Mazzagatti wisely pulling the 32-year old Zagreb resident off his game foe at the 4:33 mark.

With the win, Cro Cop improves to 22-4-2. Sanchez falls to 8-1

In the other highly-anticipated Octagon debut, Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson didn’t announce his arrival to the UFC with one of his trademark slams, but he was on target with his punches, knocking out the first man to defeat him, Marvin Eastman, in the second round of their light heavyweight bout.

“Tonight is the most I’ve ever been nervous in my whole career,” said Jackson, who lost via decision to Eastman in 2000. Since then, the Memphis native went on to great success in Japan’s Pride organization before signing with the UFC late last year.

When Jackson made his initial walk to the UFC Octagon, complete with his trademark howls, the Mandalay Bay crowd roared, but the cheers turned to boos in a mostly tentative first round that didn’t get the fans going again until the final minute, when Jackson finally let his hands go and jarred Eastman twice, first with a right uppercut and then with a left hook.

“That was the first time I’ve ever been booed,” said Jackson. “I’m sorry about that, but I had some jitters to work out.”

In the second, perhaps buoyed by his late round success, Jackson moved in for the finish, landing four right uppercuts to the jaw that sent Eastman down to the canvas hard. Referee John McCarthy quickly stepped in after ‘Rampage’s follow-up, halting the bout at the 3:49 mark.

“Marvin’s my brother, I love him, but now was the time for black on black crime,” joked the always entertaining Jackson, who improves to 26-6. Eastman falls to 13-7-1.

Roger ‘El Matador’ Huerta played the bull in his lightweight swing bout against UFC newcomer John Halverson, halting ‘The Hurricane’ in 19 seconds.

After
    ad
    a quick scramble, Halverson went to the mat and Huerta landed a knee to the shoulder and quickly grabbed his foe’s back as the Iowan covered up. A series of unanswered blows brought in referee Yves Lavigne for the stoppage. Huerta ups his record to 18-1-1. Halverson drops to 13-5.

Patrick Cote earned his first proper UFC victory in his fifth try, scoring a shutout three round decision over Scott Smith in a middleweight bout.

“I have my first big win in the UFC, finally,” said Cote (10-4), who made it to ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ 4 final last November, but had never won a UFC match outside of the TUF4 series, losing to Tito Ortiz, Joe Doerksen, Chris Leben, and Travis Lutter.

Cote was the aggressor early as Smith (12-3) calmly looked to counter. With two minutes left in the opening round, Cote slammed Smith to the mat and tried to pound out the win, but the Californian survived and quickly got back to his feet. Smith seemed to be one step behind Cote throughout the fast-paced round though, unable to truly get on track.

Keeping the work rate high, Cote staggered Smith badly with a right hand in round two, but the Canadian, wary of rushing in on his hurt foe after seeing Pete Sell getting knocked out last November for the same mistake, back off as Smith got his legs back, showboating to emphasize the point.

With the fight hanging in the balance, Smith made a few last ditch efforts to finish Cote in the third round, hurting him briefly with a punch while the two battled against the fence, but it was to be his last stand as Cote stifled Smith’s final attacks en route to the clear-cut victory.

Former light heavyweight Terry Martin made quite an impression in his middleweight debut, knocking out Jorge Rivera in a mere 14 seconds.

“I’m the hardest hitting 185-pounder out here,” said Martin, 17-2. “I’m coming for my title real soon.”

Rivera (14-6) began the bout with a right high kick, but Martin immediately grabbed his foe’s leg and came over the top with a right to the temple which dropped the New Englander. Martin’s follow-up flurry was halted by referee Herb Dean, and a new name was added to the middleweight mix.

Unbeaten but unheralded lightweight Frankie Edgar handed highly regarded Tyson Griffin his first loss in their preliminary bout, winning a hard fought three round unanimous decision.

Scores were 29-28 (twice) and 30-27 for the 6-0 Edgar. Griffin falls to 8-1.

Though fairly unknown in UFC circles, Edgar made it obvious that he came to win as he took the favored Griffin to the mat and survived a thunderous slam to rack up an impressive first round in the Octagon.

Griffin stunned Edgar on two occasions early in round two, with the New Jersey fighter opting for the takedown to get out of trouble. And while Griffin appeared to be controlling the action on the mat, just when Edgar seemed to be fading, he would come back, ending the round in the full mount position as he attempted to ground and pound his way to victory.

With the crowd firmly in his corner, Edgar again took a visibly winded Griffin down and also opened up with both hands while standing in an attempt to close the show in style. And though Griffin attempted to finish with a submission in the final seconds, as the round ticked away, it was Edgar pounding on Griffin’s leg in time with the clock, drawing a roar with each shot.

Brazil’s Lyoto Machida made a low-key UFC debut with a three round unanimous decision win over Sam Hoger in a light heavyweight preliminary bout.

In an interesting first round, Machida – who owns wins over Rich Franklin, BJ Penn, and Stephan Bonnar - scored the big shot of the frame as he dropped Hoger with a left hand, but ‘The Alaskan Assassin’ shook off the cobwebs and made a fight of it as he tried to control matters on the mat. Machida’s leg kicks started to take a toll in the second as he scored repeatedly and then put his opponent on the mat with a couple of well-placed knees while in the clinch. With under a minute to go in the second stanza, Machida opened up on his foe while on the ground, but again, Hoger was able to weather the storm and make it to the bell. The third was fairly uneventful, with Machida continuing to control the action both standing and on the mat as he pounded out the lopsided decision win.

“It was a satisfying victory and I hope that the American fans liked what they saw,” said Machida, now 9-0. “Sam was very predictable. I spent a lot of time watching tape and that definitely paid off tonight.”

Lightweight prospect Dustin Hazelett opened the UFC 67 festivities in victorious fashion with a shutout three round unanimous decision over late replacement Diego Saraiva.

Scores were 30-27 across the board for Hazelett, who controlled the fight from the outset behind his superior striking - both standing and on the mat, as Saraiva – who stepped in for the injured Melvin Guillard - showed no semblance of an offensive attack over the course of the 15 minute bout.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Deacon
      Vet
      • Jan 2005

Lutter is gonna beat him the next time - he dominated him IMO in this one - that choke he simply fell into after the kick to the face

As far as Cro Cop goes this next fight between Couture and Silvia is a waste of time - let Cro Cop fight for the title now - there is no one is the HW division that is even close to this guy - no one

And a message for the Ice Man - Rampage is here - you had better be ready!!!!
      Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
      "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."

Comment

• FContact
        • Oct 2003

Well said D on the Crocop issue. As far as lutter and silva are concerned, I don't know, lutter did take him down at will, but alot of people overlooked the fact that silva is a bjj black belt as well. He got his black belt from Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Who is one of my favorite fighters, and imo will be the the Pride HW champ once again. Silva got his bb from the nogueira brothers and has trained stand up with some of the worlds best, including the chute boxe team from brazil, who includes fighters like Pride MW champ Wanderlei Silva, Shogun and Nina Rua, and Evangelista Cyborg Santos. Little by little the UFC will be dominated by Pride fighters. People don't understand why Pride let Mirko go in such a nice manner, but it's because Pride wants Mirko to be the UFC HW champ finish his contract and come back to pride and fight Fedor. It's publicity for Pride in the U.S. Once Mirko leaves, his fans will follow him over to Pride.....

Disclaimer: PremierMuscle and FContact do not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• BigSickD
          Vet
          • May 2004

I was there and it sucked, I am so glad I got the tickets free, cause I would have been pissed. Can't complain, a bad card in Vegas, wth your still in Vegas..LOL I was introduced to GSP at Club Trist at the Minn after the fight, he is as nice as he seems. I even told him after talking to him for a minute that he was a real classy dude and he was real appreciative of that. And FContact is totally correct about Mirko. Oh and Vegas won alot of money on suckers betting on Lutter, cause most don't know how good Silva is cause they never watch Pride. I still hear people saying that Chuck Liddell could beat Wandy, we probaly will never find out, but I still laugh when I hear it.
          BigSickD does not actually exist. He is the alter ego of a punkass 17yo kid that doesn't even workout.

Comment

• FContact
            • Oct 2003

Just like Rick Franklin, Chuck is gonna have the surprise of his life once he finds out what it feels like to be in a real thai clinch with Wanderlei.....

Comment

• Deacon
              Vet
              • Jan 2005

we will see what Wanderlie does -
              Rich Franklin has to feel like a little bitch after the way Silva whipped his ass though

I think Chuck will have his hands full with Rampage
              Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
              "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."

Comment

• pumpsiron

Could Franklin do alittle "get back"? Wanderlie is a bad man! Can't wait to see Couture and Silvia? Predictions?
                Mine is that Couture rigns supreme! 2nd round submission. I'll even go as far as saying it'll be a real naked choke!

Comment

• FContact
                  • Oct 2003

I say Couture, don't like Sylvia at all, but I think it will be tougher for Couture than most think....

Comment

• DaPit26

I HATE Sylvia more than ANY other fighter (besides Frank Shamrock). He's the most over rated fighter in the UFC! I'd hope Couture but sylvia has good take down defense and I'm not to sure that couture has the strength to take him down. Couture is one of my favs but this fight is very tough to call. No way can he stand up w/ Sylvia. There are so many better fighters in that weight class than sylvia too! I even think that someone like Assuerio Silva or Brandon vera could take sylvia. They're in much better shape and much more versatile, plus Assuerio could over power and out wrestle Sylvia. I'm hoping randy sticks with his Gn'P and avoids trying a submission.

Comment

• pumpsiron

can't frickin wait, REGAURDLESS OF OUTCOME

Comment

• JOEYZ
                        • Jan 2005

I watched it and Im not too impressed with Quinton Jackson. As much hype as he has around him right now about beating chuck?.................I think chuck would have taken his ass O-U-T, LOL.
                        CO-ADMIN@
                        SUPERMOD@Musclemorpheus (RIP)
                        MOD@
                        MOD@
                        MOD@
                        MOD@AnabolicEvolution
                        MOD@Musclezone (RIP)
                        MEDICALSUPERMOD@
                        VET@
                        VET@
                        VET@QualityMuscle
                        VET@FLAWLESSTRAINING

-----------------------------------
                        "If you never attempt anything other then that which you have mastered you shall never grow". -Emerson

Comment

• pumpsiron

right on

Comment

Working...