X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JrMaFia
    BANNED for being a JETS fan
    • Oct 2007

melatonin before workout

I was at work and reading muscular development and read melatonin before workout is a good idea check this out

Wake up to big gains: can a wonder sleep aid be a wonder preworkout supplement? When it comes to melatonin, the answer is yes
    Flex, May, 2007 by Len Davis, Jim Stoppani<< Page 1 Continued from page 1. Previous | Next

TIRED OR WIRED? Previously in this article, we raised one obvious question regarding the effects of melatonin on exercise. That is, won't taking melatonin supplements before training make you sleepy? A recent study out of Liverpool, England, attempted to answer this question by providing subjects with either 2.5 mg of melatonin or a placebo before a running trial. The researchers didn't find any difference between melatonin and the placebo on alertness, sleepiness or RPE (a measure of how difficult each subject rates the exercise protocol) when melatonin was taken 75 minutes before exercise.

In another study by the same Liverpool researchers, melatonin did reduce alertness at a higher dosage (5 mg) and when it was taken more than three hours before exercise. Although melatonin did reduce alertness in this case, it had no negative effects on performance. In other research where melatonin was given before exercise, these variables were not directly assessed, but it is noteworthy that these studies did not report that subjects receiving melatonin felt sleepier or that they had a more difficult time completing the training protocol. Although everyone's response to melatonin will vary, most studies show that sleepiness and fatigue are negligible if it is taken within 75 minutes of exercise.

The stimulatory effects of exercise on the mind and body most likely offset any sleep-inducing effects of melatonin when it is administered soon before working out. Additionally, darkness causes other physiological changes that work with melatonin to induce sleep; without the additional stimulus of darkness, melatonin's sleep-inducing effects may be lessened.

Advertisement
    NONDROWSY FORMULA Since both large and small doses of melatonin have been found to boost GH levels, start with small amounts of the supplement about 30-60 minutes before workouts. Research indicates that as little as 0.5 mg could increase GH levels, so consider starting there. Depending on how your body reacts, you can always work your way up. We recommend between 0.5 and 5 mg of melatonin as an effective range for most bodybuilders. This will help you boost GH levels during training, while minimizing any potential sleep-inducing effects.

More GH without any dent in performance? There's a lot to like about melatonin as a workout aid. It just goes to show, you never know what science will reveal next in the ever-changing world of training, nutrition and supplementation.

PHOTOGRAPHY BY CHRIS LUND

YOUR PREWORKOUT MELATONIN GUIDE

WHEN 30-60 minutes before training

DOSE 0.5-5 milligrams

EFFECTS Promotes higher GH levels, protects
    against free radicals and increases
    bodyfat usage while sparing muscle
    glycogen levels
    BY LEN DAVIS AND JIM STOPPANI, PHD
    Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Goddamn they don't make em' like they used to.
    Cassidy: Fuckin' 80's man, best shit ever !
    Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Bet'chr ass man, Guns N' Roses! Rules.
    Cassidy: Crue!
    Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Yeah!
    Cassidy: Def Lep!
    Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Then that Cobain pussy had to come around & ruin it all.
    Cassidy: Like theres something wrong, why not just have a good time?
    Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: I'll tell you somethin', I hate the fuckin' 90's.
  • JrMaFia
    • Oct 2007

bump
    Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Then that Cobain pussy had to come around & ruin it all.

Comment

• JrMaFia
      • Oct 2007

bump

Comment

• Cruci
        Vet
        • Nov 2006

Interesting read, I never thought of it for anything but a sleep aid.
        Cruci is a fictional character. He does not use or participate in any distribution of any illegal substance, nor will he make referrals/source checks. You might think that this is some sort of ruse because I am a moderator on here simply trying to cover my ass, but just because I know how to correct a cycle from a clueless dolt who knows nothing of what he is putting in his body (because I know how to read,) I seriously do not get involved with any illegal substances in any way shape or form. I do however believe that it is your right to use them, but I won't help you acquire them. If you send me a PM asking where to buy steroids or to refer you to a source, I will call you a dumbass and tell you to learn to read. Then I will mushroom stamp your sister.

Comment

• JrMaFia
          • Oct 2007

yea bro i am going to try it out it is dirt cheap from vitamin shoppe. I have used ambien before and am going to use this stuff instead.

Comment

• JrMaFia
            • Oct 2007

ambien is expensive $25 on 30 pills.

Comment

Working...