Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Diet and Nutrition
User Name
Password

Old 05-15-2023, 06:04 AM   #1
Paramuscle

Paramuscle will become famous soon enough
Carbs

I think I have a sensitivity to carbs. When I eat carbs, I put on A LOT of weight. I had dieted down to about 275 and was pretty happy but was feeling a bit stuck so I thought I would hire a nutritionist. In this small town I am working in, there just isn’t a lot of choices. So, I hire this lady who seems like she knows what’s up but I knew something was off.

She didn’t really listen to me. I told her I don’t do carbs because they make me gain so much water but she insisted and now, I am right back at 301 pounds. My body composition hasn’t really changed and I am sure most of it is water but I am so uncomfortable. It literally feels like a whole body pump this morning and it doesn’t even feel real.

Anybody got any ideas on this carb issue? It seems like if I eat carbs for a week or so I put on a ton of weight. IS everyone this way or am I some sort of weirdo?

PS, I am going back on my diet.

~PM
Paramuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:36 PM   #2
Percyy

Percyy is on a distinguished road
I must say right away that I am not an expert, and you did the right thing by first deciding to see a doctor. I can only talk about my experience.
After completely giving up carbohydrates, I go through a period when I eat only carbohydrate foods for a long time. I don’t know how you are with the restriction of products, but if I start to limit myself in something, then it always ends badly. You just need to know the measure and eat a little below the norm, but regularly - then your body will not make reserves, because you consume enough carbohydrates.
In any case, you need to drink water, and at first you will swell, but then you will get used to it and you will feel better.
Percyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:33 AM   #3
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
You had to be eating some type of carbs before ir you'dhave been like a zombie walking around. So what changes did she make in your diet? I know i eat a lot of rice, sweet potatoes and potatoes. So what changes were made tgat was different from before. Also when you carb load, which is basically what happened compared to your previous diet you know your body will blow up, but then eventuallystabilizes itself as it adjusts the amount of water retention caused by the carbs. So my second question which you may have answered in your op is how long has it been since youve added the carbs?

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #4
ozzy69
Assistant Admin

ozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud of
Metformin
ozzy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:55 AM   #5
1bigun11

1bigun11 will become famous soon enough
According to NASM at 300 pounds bodyweight (136 kg) and doing physique training for an hour a day you could range between 272-680 grams of carbs per day and be healthy. How many grams a day does she have you eating? Does she have you hitting at least 300 grams protein per day at your weight?

Last edited by 1bigun11; 05-17-2023 at 11:58 AM..
1bigun11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:40 PM   #6
Paramuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigun11 View Post
According to NASM at 300 pounds bodyweight (136 kg) and doing physique training for an hour a day you could range between 272-680 grams of carbs per day and be healthy. How many grams a day does she have you eating? Does she have you hitting at least 300 grams protein per day at your weight?
I can’t do 300 grams, it makes me swell. It doesn’t happen all at once but for example: I don’t drink but when I did, I only drank whiskey because, no joke, I could drink a 6 pack of beer and the next day my eyes are swollen and my hands are so swollen that I would have trouble closing them. She had me working in just under 300 and usually keeping most of that earlier in the day but it isn’t working for me. I know most people probably don’t have this issue or even understand it but its real for me. I am trying to understand the why of it. I pretty well stay with a keto lifestyle all the time but when these things happen, it reminds me why I do this.

~PM
Old 05-17-2023, 04:43 PM   #7
Paramuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughrydr View Post
You had to be eating some type of carbs before ir you'dhave been like a zombie walking around. So what changes did she make in your diet? I know i eat a lot of rice, sweet potatoes and potatoes. So what changes were made tgat was different from before. Also when you carb load, which is basically what happened compared to your previous diet you know your body will blow up, but then eventuallystabilizes itself as it adjusts the amount of water retention caused by the carbs. So my second question which you may have answered in your op is how long has it been since youve added the carbs?
A zombie? No bro, I don’t eat carbs. I don’t eat sugar or carbs. Not a little. Now, maybe I eat some cabbage and lettuce that have carbs in there are maybe there are a couple of net carbs so I can accept that but I don’t eat potatoes, breads, pasta, rice... nothing. Maybe it was the influx of carbs that caused a dramatic shift but I tell you this, I woke up and weighed 7 pounds lighter 24 hours later. I’m not sure what it is and this is why I am asking.

~PM
Old 05-17-2023, 06:12 PM   #8
1bigun11

1bigun11 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramuscle View Post
A zombie? No bro, I don’t eat carbs. I don’t eat sugar or carbs. Not a little. Now, maybe I eat some cabbage and lettuce that have carbs in there are maybe there are a couple of net carbs so I can accept that but I don’t eat potatoes, breads, pasta, rice... nothing. Maybe it was the influx of carbs that caused a dramatic shift but I tell you this, I woke up and weighed 7 pounds lighter 24 hours later. I’m not sure what it is and this is why I am asking.

~PM
What carb sources was she pushing? Could it be some kind of allergy? Can you eat fruit?
1bigun11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:45 PM   #9
Silntrunin
VET

Silntrunin is on a distinguished road
I guess everyone is different. My body thrives on carbs.
I have a fast metabolism and if I don't eat plenty of carbs I feel like shit and have zero energy.
Never had a problem holding to much water from carbs or blowing up with water weight.

You have to be eating some type of carbs, your brain needs carbs to function properly or like roughrydr stated you'd be walking around like a zombie.
Silntrunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:21 AM   #10
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
Don’t talk to me about carbs. I have a PET scan today and I followed a low carb diet for two days. I have zero energy. I don’t have a known intolerance to carbs but to gluten. Tests revealed it. I don’t have coeliac disease but when I eat bread I’m bloated and that sucks.
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:02 PM   #11
Rebornlite
VET

Rebornlite is on a distinguished road
I cut grains from my diet a few weeks back for the first time. I dropped a ton of water and look much leaner. Have to eat a shit ton of veggies and fruits to keep my energy up enough though
Rebornlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:37 AM   #12
Paramuscle

See, I’ve done multiple water fasts where I had zero intake other than water for 14 days straight. I’ve also done a straight carnivore diet as well so I’m not sure what you guys mean by needing carbs or being a zombie because I don’t think we function the same way. Even when I do these types of things, I don’t feel like a zombie. I certainly have a decrease in energy during the transitional period but not after adaptation.

~PM
Old 06-13-2023, 10:40 PM   #13
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
PM I'm betting you have a severe intolerance to gluten. Your episode with beer is one proof - beer is made from malted barley, which has a lot of gluten. Not to mention MANY carb sources have it.

Regarding the posts people suggesting that we need x amount of carbs or feeling dead - let us not forget that avoiding carbs was THEE diet of the 70's bodybuilders including Arnie and the rest of the gang. And not only for pre-contest. This is all according to Ric Draisin (RIP), who lived it. Six days a week they pretty much lived on eggs, cottage cheese, beef, chicken, salads, green veggies. Then on Sunday they would all go pig out at a place near the beach called House of Pies, and eat pie & ice cream. Probably accounts for everybody having a flat gut back then and able to hit vacuums year around.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:08 PM   #14
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Hank. Sounds like an intolerance of some sort. Potential allergy maybe. I recently found out I'm allergic to Whey protein, and have a dairy intolerance after years of having them in my diet. Explained a lot but never figured out the issue until this year. You're probably dealing with something similar with carbs.
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:39 AM   #15
Medi
VET

Medi is on a distinguished road
A while back ago I remember you saying you had to switch to pharma gh because regular generics were putting on too much water weight.

Didn't you give the meditrope blacktops a try? If you're running those, I'd say they are part of the reason. I gain water on them but I don't mind. A lot of guys use them because they like the fullness it gives them, but it's the water for most. They are good effective kits but if your already sensitive, they may be part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramuscle View Post
I think I have a sensitivity to carbs. When I eat carbs, I put on A LOT of weight. I had dieted down to about 275 and was pretty happy but was feeling a bit stuck so I thought I would hire a nutritionist. In this small town I am working in, there just isn’t a lot of choices. So, I hire this lady who seems like she knows what’s up but I knew something was off.

She didn’t really listen to me. I told her I don’t do carbs because they make me gain so much water but she insisted and now, I am right back at 301 pounds. My body composition hasn’t really changed and I am sure most of it is water but I am so uncomfortable. It literally feels like a whole body pump this morning and it doesn’t even feel real.

Anybody got any ideas on this carb issue? It seems like if I eat carbs for a week or so I put on a ton of weight. IS everyone this way or am I some sort of weirdo?

PS, I am going back on my diet.

~PM
Medi is offline   Reply With Quote