Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrhtbd
    • Apr 2015

Humbled

I went to the gym today, first time in a year and a half, of course I’m 56 pounds lighter than I was then and I am truly humbled. Due to my shaking arms I could barely hold onto the pull-up bar to get my assisted sets, embarrassed I used 130 pounds assistance for my 230 body weight to get eight sets of 12 supersets with dips. When I was 44 I weighed 245 and got 26 over hand pull ups, now I can’t even do one; humbled. I supersetted upright rows with behind the neck pull downs for eight sets of eight with weight I haven’t used for 30 years; humbled. I couldn’t hold the bar without my arms shaking and the massive hernia left from the surgery I had in January 2020 (to remove a tumor) as my gut spilled out through the separation between my abs witch the surgeon never connected; humbled. I supersetted chest presses with close grip lat pull downs for 10 sets of 12. I liked the range of motion but the weight was incredibly light; humbled. The last time I was in this predicament was after I got hit by a car in 1990 riding my bicycle and my left hip went through the side window of the car hitting my spine on the crossmember of the windows. I took off lifting for six months then and started doing one set of 10 squats with 55 pounds for three times a week. Four years later I got up to seven reps with 465 on my 12 set; no juice. Here it is, 30 years later and a part of me wanted to give up, but once I started lifting, a part of me fell back into the groove and I liked it; but I was humbled. It’s going to be a long road. I’m not sure how much work I’ll be able to accomplish getting six months of chemo and I start radiation treatments on the 12th. I’ll just have to see what I can do and the keep going back. A lot of you guys of read my stories about great lifts that I’ve done in the past 20 years but starting over from the place I was 30 years ago was humbling. I’m not really willing to give in, not yet no not yet. Do what I can with faith as a guide; just keep going. There it is; humbled but willing.
  • Stickler
    VET
    • Jun 2022

I was humbled a few days ago. My scenario wasn't as traumatic from injury or health related issues. BUT, it's a TOTAL start/do over. Very humbling. Strength loss and fat stores are a bastard!

You got it bro.

Comment

• 1bigun11
      • May 2022

Humbled, but the spirit inside you burns brighter than the darkness that surrounds you. You will rise.

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

Good to hear you back in the gym.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Roughrydr
          • Oct 2017

Just stick with it. We all go through these things. When i do heavy bench press my stomach looks like the movie Alien. Don't be discouraged. Use it as fuel for the fire.
          OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• irish_2003
            Vet
            • Oct 2011

It will come back quick...maybe not to best levels but focus on consistency and pump vs strength and changes will be noticeable qick...I'm only 48 but routinely miss weeks living life irresponsibly...the rebounds are awesome and less gear used than in my 30s

Comment

• jrod
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by mrhtbd
              I went to the gym today, first time in a year and a half, of course I’m 56 pounds lighter than I was then and I am truly humbled. Due to my shaking arms I could barely hold onto the pull-up bar to get my assisted sets, embarrassed I used 130 pounds assistance for my 230 body weight to get eight sets of 12 supersets with dips. When I was 44 I weighed 245 and got 26 over hand pull ups, now I can’t even do one; humbled. I supersetted upright rows with behind the neck pull downs for eight sets of eight with weight I haven’t used for 30 years; humbled. I couldn’t hold the bar without my arms shaking and the massive hernia left from the surgery I had in January 2020 (to remove a tumor) as my gut spilled out through the separation between my abs witch the surgeon never connected; humbled. I supersetted chest presses with close grip lat pull downs for 10 sets of 12. I liked the range of motion but the weight was incredibly light; humbled. The last time I was in this predicament was after I got hit by a car in 1990 riding my bicycle and my left hip went through the side window of the car hitting my spine on the crossmember of the windows. I took off lifting for six months then and started doing one set of 10 squats with 55 pounds for three times a week. Four years later I got up to seven reps with 465 on my 12 set; no juice. Here it is, 30 years later and a part of me wanted to give up, but once I started lifting, a part of me fell back into the groove and I liked it; but I was humbled. It’s going to be a long road. I’m not sure how much work I’ll be able to accomplish getting six months of chemo and I start radiation treatments on the 12th. I’ll just have to see what I can do and the keep going back. A lot of you guys of read my stories about great lifts that I’ve done in the past 20 years but starting over from the place I was 30 years ago was humbling. I’m not really willing to give in, not yet no not yet. Do what I can with faith as a guide; just keep going. There it is; humbled but willing.
              You are doing more than most people outside of the bb community. I’m sure you will continue to feel better as you continue to go. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Comment

Working...