Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Over 50 and beyond.
User Name
Password

Old 05-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #1
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
Question to those who are 50+

How many times a week do you workout? How long are your workouts? How many breaks a year do you take?
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
JDUB
Vet

JDUB will become famous soon enoughJDUB will become famous soon enough
MG how you been..

Right now just cardio and light stuff but moving up in pds. though starting this next week. I'm working out everyday now trying to get back in shape.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:14 AM   #3
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUB View Post
MG how you been..

Right now just cardio and light stuff but moving up in pds. though starting this next week. I'm working out everyday now trying to get back in shape.
Thank you JDUB.
I’m tired and have aches and pains but giving up lifting is no option because I would feel too guilty.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:05 AM   #4
AlphaMale
VET

AlphaMale is just really niceAlphaMale is just really niceAlphaMale is just really niceAlphaMale is just really nice
I work out every other day and then I do cardio on my off days.
2-2.5 hrs per workout.
No breaks.
I don’t talk to anyone at my gym.
They’re a buncha walking talking distractions I don’t need at the time.
I find a good mix of strength and endurance training has kept my b/f% the same as it was in my mid twenties.
Also, I focus more on reps than going heavy these days.
AlphaMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:25 AM   #5
HDH

HDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the rough
I go 3 days a week taking a day off between training days, 1 1/2 to 2 hours each day. I don't schedule any breaks throughout the year but I keep a good balance.

I've tried to take a week off over the last few years but I never make the whole week :
HDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
millenium girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
I work out every other day and then I do cardio on my off days.
2-2.5 hrs per workout.
No breaks.
I don’t talk to anyone at my gym.
They’re a buncha walking talking distractions I don’t need at the time.
I find a good mix of strength and endurance training has kept my b/f% the same as it was in my mid twenties.
Also, I focus more on reps than going heavy these days.
You’re a beast .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDH View Post
I go 3 days a week taking a day off between training days, 1 1/2 to 2 hours each day. I don't schedule any breaks throughout the year but I keep a good balance.

I've tried to take a week off over the last few years but I never make the whole week :
I should probably take a day off between training days because the blood force trauma training is a 4 day routine.

I’m the same as far as the week off is concerned ... I need my daily dose of exercise or I feel too guilty.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
I do a split routine, I have four separate workouts they last about one hour each. I workout 6-7 days every week rotating the workouts.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
01dragonslayer
Banned

01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough
Not quite 50 but almost there...

I strength train 4-6 days/wk Two days heavy alternating two light and if I do another two its whatever I feel like doing and thats usually light.

On my two definite light days and one on my whatever days I do about 30-40 interval cardio sessions.

On the seventh day I just take it easy and try and do some active cardio...;just go for a walk of maybe hiking with wifey and pups.
01dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:13 PM   #9
JDUB
Vet

JDUB will become famous soon enoughJDUB will become famous soon enough
For years I worked out 6 days a week...I did all upper body heavy but only one body part a day.

Chest
arms
shoulders
back
day off
repeat

I did 30 min of cardio after the weights...This worked for me great, I went to failure on the body part for that day, and by the time the repeat came around that body part had fully recovered...every one is different though. I have always had good legs and after 3 knee surgureys, I had to stop the leg days...I'm hoping to get back to that level again, but I'm taking it very slow..
Old 05-12-2021, 11:26 PM   #10
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
I usually hit it 4 days a week - HIT hybrid, meaning HIT for the jist, but followed by some ending pump work per bdpt via 21's, triple drop set, 3 second peak contraction static holds, etc. 90% of the time I don't work out more than 2 days straight without taking a day. If I do, the 3rd workout usually suffers from CNS not being recovered. No planned layoffs other than when going on vacation for 7-10 days once or twice per year, OR if injured of course.

I do NO periodization, and kill the iron 100% when I am there, striving to set a PR on some exercise, every workout, be it 1 more rep, 5 more lbs, whateva. The reason I can get away with no deload time/periodization is bcoz I give the body enough rest time to recover weekly. As I mentioned in your other thread about this topic, I can't imagine just going to the gym for the mere sake of "getting it in". Many people do that, even though they feel tired/lethargic. To ME, that is pointless and counter-productive. If I feel tired or fatigued, I will simply take the day off, getting an extra rest day in, so when I DO hit it, I'm full of energy and ready to kill it. My motto has always been if I can't give 100%, my azz won't be going to the gym that day.

Gotta say it again MG, you GOTTA add in more rest days - you are killing yourself. Also why working out is feeling like a chore to you with no motivation. Try 2 on, 1 off, repeat, for awhile. I GUARANTEE you will feel better AND stronger from increased recovery chica.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:25 PM   #11
Deacon
Vet

Deacon is just really niceDeacon is just really niceDeacon is just really niceDeacon is just really nice
4 day split - alot of powerlifting mixed with John Meadows bodybuilding - rarely take a break

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:29 PM   #12
DrX
VET

DrX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium girl View Post
How many times a week do you workout? How long are your workouts? How many breaks a year do you take?
6 Days a week an 1hr 30 minutes on ave

Cardio is done 6 days a week in the morning fasted for 35 minutes (treadmill walking in my garage)

Sunday Quads (No cardio)
Monday Chest/calves
Tue Hamstrings/Arms
Wed Shoulders/Traps
Thu Back/Calves
Fri Arms/Abs
Sat Only Cardio 40 minutes Am fasted

No breaks a year...

DrX
DrX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:50 PM   #13
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
5 days a week. Just over an hour lifting. Strange split that’s just mine with hams and quads split into different days with some light duplicate upper body work. Shoulders get hit 3x EW divided into chest/anterior delts, back/rear delts, and arms/medial delts. That’s really grown my shoulders.

If I’m in growth phase I lift heavier weights with lower reps to failure with high intensity in every set and rest 3 minutes between sets.

I prep phase I superset 3-4 excercises per muscle group in one giant set with no rest between exercises, and maybe 30 seconds between sets. Again high intensity balls out training just over an hour.

In the rare instance I do cardio it’s over and above weight training time.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #14
wallyd
VET

wallyd is on a distinguished road
Usually 5-6 days a week but 4 is the minimum number of times per week. Each one last 1.5-2 hours depending on what body part it is. I do a 4 day split.
wallyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #15
Kluso
Vet

Kluso has a spectacular aura aboutKluso has a spectacular aura aboutKluso has a spectacular aura about
I’m not quite 50 yet but close. Lately I have been doing Meso Sets I think they are called. I do one set of 16-20 reps then wait 10-15sec and do next set of 4-5 reps. Repeat the 10-15sec rest and 4-5 reps for a total of 5 sets (includes the first set of 16-20 reps). Makes my workouts super fast which is good because I work out before work during the busiest time in my gym in the morning (too crowded now). It also raises my heart rate really good like I’m doing HITT or DC but not as intense. I don’t do a lot of cardio but used this during my last cut and it worked really well. Gonna keep doing it even though I’m off my cut now to see how it does for growth. Seems to be working well so far. I know being sore isn’t supposed to be a good judgement of a good workout but it kinda does. And I definitely feeling sore the next day. I do a 4 day split. Biceps/hams, triceps/quads, back/rear delts, chest/front&side delts. I usually go 4 days on 3 days off but sometimes 5on, 2off.
Kluso is offline   Reply With Quote