Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Tadalafil improves lean mass and endothelial function in nonobese men

Randomized Controlled Trial
    Endocrine

. 2017 Jun;56(3):639-648.
    doi: 10.1007/s12020-016-1208-y. Epub 2017 Jan 30.
    Tadalafil improves lean mass and endothelial function in nonobese men with mild ED/LUTS: in vivo and in vitro characterization
    Antonio Aversa 1 , Simona Fittipaldi 2 , Davide Francomano 3 , Viviana M Bimonte 4 , Emanuela A Greco 3 5 , Clara Crescioli 4 , Luigi Di Luigi 4 , Andrea Lenzi 3 , Silvia Migliaccio 4
    Affiliations

PMID: 28133708 DOI: 10.1007/s12020-016-1208-y

Abstract

Purpose: Phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitor administration in diabetic men with erectile dysfunction (ED) is associated with reduced waist circumference. We evaluated potential effects of daily tadalafil administration on body composition and investigated its possible mechanism(s) of action in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells in vitro.

Methods: Forty-three men on stable caloric intake (mean age 48.5 ± 7; BMI 25.5 ± 0.9 kg/m2) complaining mild ED and/or low urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) were randomly assigned to receive tadalafil (TAD) 5 mg/daily (once-a-day=OAD-TAD; n = 23) or 20 mg on-demand (on-demand=OD-TAD; n = 20) for 2 months. Primary outcomes were variations of body composition measured by Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry; secondary outcomes were ED/LUTS questionnaire scores along with hormone (testosterone, estradiol, insulin) and endothelial function (Endopat2000) variations.

Results: OAD-TAD increased abdominal lean mass (p < 0.01) that returned to baseline after 2 months withdrawal. LUTS scores improved (p<0.01) in OD-TAD while ED scores improved (p < 0.01) in both groups. We found significant improvements in endothelial function (p < 0.05) that directly correlated with serum insulin (p < 0.01; r = 0.3641) and inversely correlated with estradiol levels (p < 0.01; r = 0.3655) even when corrected for potential confounders. Exposure of C2C12 cells upon increasing tadalafil concentrations (10-7 to 10-6 M) increased total androgen receptor mRNA and protein expression as well as myogenin protein expression after 24 and 72 h (2.8 ± 0.4-fold and 1.4 ± 0.02-fold vs. control, respectively, p < 0.05).

Conclusions: Daily tadalafil improved lean mass content in non-obese men probably via enhanced insulin secretion, estradiol reduction, and improvement of endothelial function in vivo. The in vitro increased myogenin and androgen receptor protein expression in skeletal muscle cells suggests a translational action of phosphodiesterase type-5 on this receptor.

Keywords: Androgen receptor; Erectile Dysfunction; Estradiol; Fat mass; Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms; Phosphodiesterase type-5; Skeletal muscle; Testosterone.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
  • Roughrydr
    • Oct 2017

Interesting
    OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Dakota
      VET
      • Feb 2017

It is a little known fact that that is what Hank uses exclusively for his cutting. ��
      The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• akajavman1
        VET
        • Sep 2022

This is very interesting. Just recently started using a low dose as a preworkout and can definitely see a difference in my workouts especially at my age! 60.

Comment

• Mikect1000
          VET
          • Nov 2021

I’ve been taking 5mgs a day for a year now and I think it helps. At 45 and a power lifter who competes in the 275s I’m the leanest I’ve ever been at this weight for sure. Never thought this can be a factor.

Comment

• Demigod
            • Feb 2018

Interesting indeed. I'd like to see that studied further. That drug has a lot of benefits other than what it's intended for.

Comment

• Paramuscle
              • Mar 2018

I started a few years ago taking 5 mgs a day for the BPH which is what makes it tougher to piss when you get older and are on test as well..... Anyway, I don’t know about the lean mass part but it helps with the other.

~PM

Comment

• preist943
                VET
                • Apr 2018

when it first cam out years ago i noticed low dose increased pumps in the gym as well as a thicker look all day . i guess it wasnt in my "head" after all lol

Comment

• jrod
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Paramuscle
                  I started a few years ago taking 5 mgs a day for the BPH which is what makes it tougher to piss when you get older and are on test as well..... Anyway, I don’t know about the lean mass part but it helps with the other.

~PM
                  This is what I use it for as well.
                  I used a little as 2.5mg and it seemed to work better for me than a high dose. Too high of a dose messes with my stomach and in can’t breath through my nose at all.

Comment

• Paramuscle
                    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by jrod
                    This is what I use it for as well.
                    I used a little as 2.5mg and it seemed to work better for me than a high dose. Too high of a dose messes with my stomach and in can’t breath through my nose at all.

I will try to back mine down and see how it goes. Thank you

~PM

Comment

Working...