Good things about insulin

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cryptix

Good things about insulin

seems like a pretty solid compound, doesn't really affect your sex hormones, it's cheap and available over the counter, and it looks like some solid gains could be made. obviously the bad thing is going hypoglycemic and passing out/coma or dying.

im thinking of running it, slowly working up from 2ui to 7-8 ui post workout (3-4 times a week) for a period of 4 weeks and then taking some time off.

any tips from bros who have used it before? what kind of gains can be expected?

im bulking currently, so is it fine to play it safe and just take WAY more carbs than are needed, just so there is no chance in hell i can go hypo?

also im thinking of running it while on AAS, ive heard there is a synergistic effect from running both simultaneously
  • Jbud

You need to get a Blood Glucose meter before you start, check your BG levels so you don't go hypo, don't just inhale carbs and hope.

Comment

• ninobambino
      • Jan 2005

I would say do A LOT of research on it and know what you are dealing with.

It may seem like a good thing... but also can be a very dangerous thing.
      Most I know say if you don't know everything there is to know about it don't even think of playing with it.

Like I said if you are really considering this I would recommend doing a lot of research.

Comment

• Scotsmark
        VET
        • Apr 2005

Not wanting to do any scare mongering but read this before you do anything else.....

Article here....

A CHAMPION bodybuilder has died from a suspected overdose of insulin, it emerged yesterday.
        Louise Nuttall-Halliwell, 38, who competed in the world bodybuilding championships, fell into a coma in 2002 after repotedly taking an overdose of the hormone, which has been used to enhance the performance of non-diabetic bodybuilders by improving muscle tone.

She was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary from her home in Elgin but did not recover. She was transferred to a care home in Nairn, where she developed an infection which is thought to have caused her death.

Before her injury Ms Nuttall-Halliwell worked as a bodybuilding coach in Elgin. She took part in championships across Britain including the Miss Universe competition.

Her family requested that no further details be released about her death.

Insulin was first used by bodybuilders with anabolic steroids to stop muscle from being broken down. It can be fatal if it takes so much sugar from the blood that the brain has too little oxygen, which causes damage at cellular level.

Or this one.....

Doctor Says Insulin Should be Used For High Blood Sugar, Not Bodybuilding
        Daniel Trecroci
        Mar 1, 1999
        Bodybuilders try many substances, both legal and illegal, to develop muscle mass. Lately, insulin has emerged as a popular muscle-enhancing agent, and, according to an article in the May 28, 1998 issue of theJournal of the American Medical Association, it could come with dangerous side effects.

"Insulin has a number of potentially devastating side effects when used as a muscle-enhancing agent, but most importantly, there is the risk of hypoglycemic shock and death," says Josiah D. Rich, MD, MPH, of Providence, Rhode Island.

After interviewing 20 self-identified anabolic-steroid users, it was discovered that five of them used 10 units of Regular insulin at least 44 times during the six months prior to the interview. The subjects did not have type 1 or 2 diabetes, and used the insulin only as a muscle-enhancing agent. They obtained the insulin on the "black market" and from pharmacies.

"In most states, you need prescriptions for syringes," says Rich. "If you ask most bodybuilders where they get their syringes, some will say they get them from needle exchange programs, but most get them from a friend, relative or acquaintance who has diabetes."

Rich goes on to say that since insulin is not a prescribed medication, it can be obtained from a pharmacy with just a bit of coaxing.

"Even though insulin isn't a controlled substance like steroids, most pharmacists would be unlikely to fill a prescription of insulin for somebody who does not have insulin-dependent diabetes," says Rich. "These bodybuilders, however, can fabricate a story, and tell a pharmacist that they have diabetes and will die if they don't get their prescription."

Insulin can be used as a steroid because it promotes the development of body tissues. In the case of the five individuals interviewed by the researchers, none of them experienced any kind of hypoglycemia. There are documented cases of two bodybuilders who self-administered insulin and suffered hypoglycemia. One individual suffered a seizure after giving himself 320 units of Regular insulin prior to a workout. Following the seizure, the weightlifter admitted to injecting 80 units of Regular insulin in both thighs every hour over a three- to four-hour period each day, while ingesting large amounts of carbohydrates. The other bodybuilder suffered severe brain damage after experiencing neuroglycopenia (low blood sugar in the brain) after taking excessive amounts of insulin.

"They are not aware of the dangers," says Rich. "Some might be, and will keep sugar nearby during workouts, but most are not. They just want to get big."

Rich feels that health care professionals need to be aware that some bodybuilders use insulin, and must discourage this practice through education about the associated dangers

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

I tried using slin and felt more sluggish and seemed to gain a bit more fat while using it. All in all I decided it wasn't for me.
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Cryptix

i don't want to make it seem like im underestimating insulin. i respect the dark side of all compounds, thanks to you all for the opinions and the links.

lifts, did you use insulin before each meal, or just postworkout?

i can't imagine you'd feel sluggish all day using an insulin thats out of your system fast like humalog, if you only used it 3-4 times a week.

i've been reading about it for almost a year, last week i picked up some humalog (10ml 100ui/ml) for 30 bucks, and 100 insulin pins for another 30 bucks. tried 3 UI PWO and everything went smooth. I didn't feel any of the hypo symptoms (sluggishness etc) actually it kind of felt like i had a LOT of energy

after i pinned i sipped on a shake w/ 45 grams of dextrose, 50 grams of protein, and 10 grams of creatine over about 10 mins. i had a bottle of juice on hand in case i felt i was going to go hypo. about an hour after i had a big carbs+protein meal (rice and fish)

ill be trying 5UI on my next workout day (friday). nino and scots, have either of you tried it before? what were your results?

Comment

• liftsiron
              Administrator
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Cryptix
              i don't want to make it seem like im underestimating insulin. i respect the dark side of all compounds, thanks to you all for the opinions and the links.

lifts, did you use insulin before each meal, or just postworkout?

i can't imagine you'd feel sluggish all day using an insulin thats out of your system fast like humalog, if you only used it 3-4 times a week.

i've been reading about it for almost a year, last week i picked up some humalog (10ml 100ui/ml) for 30 bucks, and 100 insulin pins for another 30 bucks. tried 3 UI PWO and everything went smooth. I didn't feel any of the hypo symptoms (sluggishness etc) actually it kind of felt like i had a LOT of energy

after i pinned i sipped on a shake w/ 45 grams of dextrose, 50 grams of protein, and 10 grams of creatine over about 10 mins. i had a bottle of juice on hand in case i felt i was going to go hypo. about an hour after i had a big carbs+protein meal (rice and fish)

ill be trying 5UI on my next workout day (friday). nino and scots, have either of you tried it before? what were your results?
              10 ius post workout followed carb/protein shake.
              ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• ninobambino
                • Jan 2005

"ill be trying 5UI on my next workout day (friday). nino and scots, have either of you tried it before? what were your results?"

No I have never tried it. Did a bit of research on it when I was considering it about 3yrs ago when researching GH.
                With everything else I was doing I saw no need to add it as I was perfectly happy with how things were and are going.

To me it was too dangerous.... To others it may seem like nothing. But it was not worth it to me so I decided not to use it.

Funny I just read a post about slin on another board. The guy ran it for the first time but didn't take the right ratio of nutrients. He said he gained all fat. He ran it by itself wondering how his body would react. That's why I say know everything there is to know to get the best results from it. Besides knowing the right amount of carbs and whatnot... give you that soft look.
                It's something I really don't know much about so I really can't comment on it. Just advise to do your research.

Comment

• Scotsmark
                  VET
                  • Apr 2005

I've never used it, nor will I. I'm not adverse to trying out any aas but insulin is simply a no-no!

I can get it for free along with pins & barrels, I have all the monitoring equipment and I'm pretty clued up on nutrition but I still wouldn't entertain it, it's just too risky and if I did take it and ended up diabeic, I'd fail my medical and not be able to work where I do.

I'd leave it and spend my money on some good enanthate and fill a cart at Costso's meat, chicken & fish counter.

Comment

• Cryptix

thanks for the words of warning guys, ill be careful and let you all know how it goes

Comment

• Scotsmark
                      VET
                      • Apr 2005

Get yourself a blood glucose monitor, they're quite cheap, simple to use and very accurate, make sure there's someone with you woh knows what you're doing, what to look out for and ho to help if you start to go hypo, do a google search for diabetes and hypoglycaemia, you'll find all the info there.

Comment

• IronMiner
                        • Aug 2011

I've read a lot on this. I am also considering giving this a try some day. They say its good to have someone you trust and some kind of sugar with you when you take it. Have the person watch you and make sure you are alright. A glucose meter is about $15 and the lancets and stips are a bit more. A cheep investment.
                        good luck and be safe.

Comment

• Cyber

Interesting thread. I wont be considering insulin coz I've been reading alot and with all that I've just One Word. :NO.

Comment

• Shovel
                            VET
                            • Jul 2011

If you're a competition BBer, then you should use every option available to get an edge on the next person. BBing is just my hobby...
                            Semper Fi

Comment

• banana joose

I'm gonna give it a run really soon. Right now I'm formulating a plan and doing some bg level testing to get a feel for how my body reacts to certain food and activities. It's really interesting stuff.

Comment

Working...