Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malinois53
    Vet
    • Sep 2014

more of an endurance guy, but i 3 strength / functional training days. the objective is work imbalances and weak areas. fuuuuuck me but my back just loves fuking with me when I'm do shit tons of pre hab.

Comment

• Rot-Iron66
      • Sep 2016

At 56, I decided recently to go to 4 days a week. I have been doing 5, and even 6 before that for years. I feel I need more recovery these days. So 4 seems great physically. (Mentally trying to adjust). I never took time off in 44 years. I know, probably not good. My 4-training days are based around the big-4 (SQ, Bench, DL, OHP) and I hardly do any fluff (cables, light stuff, etc). Mainly heavy barbell training. Seems to be working. I'm feeling slightly less run-down and tired during the day like I was feeling.

Comment

• millenium girl
        • Apr 2006

Update
        I have terrible invalidating back pain. The only thing I do is cardio: 2 hours a day.
        I’m trying to get an appointment in a pain clinic …

Being old sucks
        Don't forget to join
        http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
        http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• AlphaMale
          VET
          • Mar 2018

This past summer I would do about 20 hrs/wk each strength and cardio training.

I’ve been focusing on lighter weights, fewer carbs and more cardio.
          I have shoulder and back issues so my focus is more on endurance rather than size and strength.
          I’m 6’0” tall and just dropped below 200 lbs for the first time since I did my my first cycle back in 2004.
          I feel far less stress on my joints and lighter on my feet now.
          There was a time when 235 lbs was normal for me but it’s just so much stress on the body after so many years I’ve become prediabetic and a lot of back problems.
          And my dick works better when I’m not so heavy so there’s that, too.

Honestly, feel much healthier 53 years old at 197 than I ever did at 235.
          Last edited by AlphaMale; 11-11-2022, 12:41 AM.
          Veteran

Comment

• Roughrydr
            • Oct 2017

MG, I havent trained upper body for about 9 or 10 months now due to blowing out one of my shoulders. We are old folks, even though i know youre still hotter than 99% of the 20 year olds around. But we have to listen to our bodies. I used to panic if i missed a work out. Id feel guilty, feel like i was shrinking, losing strength. Now im so old I dont care. I still look good. I feel better. I just dont sleep as well. Lol. Take as much time as you need off. You have a very solid foundation. And its nit going to disappear because you take more time off. Have fun. Save some cats. Get a dog! LOL. Love you girl.
            OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Silntrunin
              VET
              • Mar 2023

Working out just 3 days a week for now.
              Mostly full body sessions trying to get back a little conditioning after being down for over a year.
              Would definitely like to get back to a solid 4 days with split workouts again soon. Trying to be disciplined and not rush back into things after several injuries.

Comment

• Paramuscle
                • Mar 2018

I still go 5-6 days a week. I am limited with my back and my legs but the rest of me is killing it. I usually train for 60-90 minutes, My off day is whenever I feel like it. I don’t set a scheduled day.

Right now I am cutting and I am down to 280 and got my abs back. My training is high volume and low weight and I don’t rest. I usually do 15 min of fasted low impact cardio and then move to the weights. Right now I am doing a crazy amount of reps with low weight and I am leaning out real nice. I got maybe 2-3 more weeks and then I will up my protein and calories again and put some heavy weights back on.

Most people think I am lifting heavy but they don’t have any idea what I used to lift so for me, it isn’t as heavy as it used to be.

I will be 50 in November

~PM

Comment

• MindlessWork
                  • Aug 2011

I soon will hit 59 and go 3-4 days a week and keep total training time to 1 hour...that seems to work out quite well for me.
                  “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• Acreed1
                    Vet
                    • Nov 2014

Referencing to Sammy Hagar , , ,
                    I can drive 55+. (age)
                    I'm still hitting it 5,6 days a week. Rarely train legs. Water in knee in which I need to address.
                    Off days are cardio and abs only. Most training sessions are 1.1/4 hrs basically.
                    Enthusiasm and drive is still there. But the desire to go late or go late from a long day from work isn't there. Smart rest days are more important to me now a days.
                    "No Joe, you next Joe, you next Joe!"
                    "Creed in 3, Creed in 3"

Comment

• Massimo1
                      VET
                      • Apr 2021

I am 71. Currently try to train with weights 4 to 5 days a week, rotating different body parts. Not doing legs much currently because of lower spine issues (I like squats but hate leg presses). I try to get cardio 4 to 5 days a week alsol.

Comment

• Kluso
                        Vet
                        • Dec 2016

I stopped working out arms directly months ago because of bicep tendinitis on inside of my elbow. Every time I try to do any bicep work it comes back but fortunately my arms haven’t shrunk at all. No pain when doing back. My split now is quads/abductors/adductors, hams calves, back then chest. 4-5 days a week. If I make it in that 5th day I do more legs. Cause they need the most work. No more than an hour per workout. Not doing those mio sets or whatever they were called. I do two warm up light sets. One heavy set to failure then one back off set to failure. I tried some deep pendulum squats a few weeks ago. My left knee has been fucked up since. Always popping now. I had never tried pendulum squats before. My knees don’t like them. At least not on the Arsenal machine. I didn’t even go heavy. Just deeper than usual. Trying new exercises to stimulate some leg growth. Sucks getting old. Haha

Comment

• meo
                          VET
                          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Massimo1
                          I am 71. Currently try to train with weights 4 to 5 days a week, rotating different body parts. Not doing legs much currently because of lower spine issues (I like squats but hate leg presses). I try to get cardio 4 to 5 days a week alsol.
                          don't mean to highjack this thread but HELLO, you make me feel like a snot nose at 69 years . I thought Rough and I where the seniors here. glad to see an old guy like me still hitting the gym

Comment

• Paramuscle
                            • Mar 2018

I just hired my first personal trainer and nutritional coach ever! I am super excited to see where I land. I’m back to doing heavier weights 5-6 days a week and just added in 3 metabolic conditioning session each week as well. i’m very excited to see where this goes...

~PM

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank
                              • May 2019

Originally posted by Paramuscle
                              I still go 5-6 days a week. I am limited with my back and my legs but the rest of me is killing it. I usually train for 60-90 minutes, My off day is whenever I feel like it. I don’t set a scheduled day.

Right now I am cutting and I am down to 280 and got my abs back. My training is high volume and low weight and I don’t rest. I usually do 15 min of fasted low impact cardio and then move to the weights. Right now I am doing a crazy amount of reps with low weight and I am leaning out real nice. I got maybe 2-3 more weeks and then I will up my protein and calories again and put some heavy weights back on.

Most people think I am lifting heavy but they don’t have any idea what I used to lift so for me, it isn’t as heavy as it used to be.

I will be 50 in November

~PM
                              Training light eh?LOL Don't let PM fool ya'll - he does 100 lb db curls for reps - I seen it!
                              Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• aliye01
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2023

Question to those who are 50+

Hi Guys,
                                To those who are 50 and over, what valuable life lesson have you learned that you'd like to share with the younger generations?

Comment

Working...