Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-27-2023, 03:05 PM   #1
rocco-x
Vet

rocco-x has a spectacular aura aboutrocco-x has a spectacular aura about
Taxes and bitcoin

Just got an email yesterday reminding me it's tax time. It said I made $600 over the course of 2022 and need to pay taxes on it. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how do I go about it? Since me wife and I file separately but use the same tax service accountant do I just show them my coinbase amount? Thus must be new because since I've had coinbase or used crypto in the last maybe 4-5yrs thus is the fist time hearing this. Any help would be appreciated...tia.
rocco-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:45 PM   #2
MindlessWork

MindlessWork has a spectacular aura aboutMindlessWork has a spectacular aura aboutMindlessWork has a spectacular aura about
Did your exchange send you a 1099 or provide you a link to where you can obtain it? Also you should keep record of all bitcoin bought or sold during the year and if aggregate inflow/outflow is $600 or more a 1099 will be generated.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:49 PM   #3
Chooch
VET

Chooch will become famous soon enoughChooch will become famous soon enough
Same thing with PayPal now. Getting ridiculous how they have to get their fingers into everything. ��
Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:03 PM   #4
HDH

HDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco-x View Post
Just got an email yesterday reminding me it's tax time. It said I made $600 over the course of 2022 and need to pay taxes on it. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how do I go about it? Since me wife and I file separately but use the same tax service accountant do I just show them my coinbase amount? Thus must be new because since I've had coinbase or used crypto in the last maybe 4-5yrs thus is the fist time hearing this. Any help would be appreciated...tia.
Coinbase is super easy. Go into your settings and look for taxes. It will give you a page to print up for your return.

I hadn't done mine yet this year but I did it last year. I don't remember the specifics but I remember thinking it was way easier than I expected.
HDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 07:39 PM   #5
rocco-x
Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDH View Post
Coinbase is super easy. Go into your settings and look for taxes. It will give you a page to print up for your return.

I hadn't done mine yet this year but I did it last year. I don't remember the specifics but I remember thinking it was way easier than I expected.
Thanks for the info. I never recieved a 1099 so I'll have to email it to our accountant. They don't ask about transactions and all that do they, like delve into the specifics and all? I gotta learn how to use a crypto wallet or something more nondirect lol.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:48 PM   #6
rocco-x
Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Same thing with PayPal now. Getting ridiculous how they have to get their fingers into everything. ��
It is getting out of hand, you're right. They want a piece of everything today. I've lost more than I made that's for sure. I take out $25 weekly from my checking and savings account. 1 for bitcoin and one for ethereum as that seems to drop less than bitcoin does. This way when I do need to make a purchase it's already there without having to take it out in one lump sum which stings when you don't have it right there. Still can't see how I "made" $600 with either. This year everything seemed to take a nosedive, bitcoin especially. I should've listened to a friend I work with. He made a little over $60,000 plus got back his initial investment of $20k last year with dogecoin of all things.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:26 PM   #7
HDH

HDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the roughHDH is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco-x View Post
Thanks for the info. I never recieved a 1099 so I'll have to email it to our accountant. They don't ask about transactions and all that do they, like delve into the specifics and all? I gotta learn how to use a crypto wallet or something more nondirect lol.
Sorry about the late reply.

The paper you print up off the Coinbase site is what you give to your accountant.
HDH is offline   Reply With Quote