Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Competition Discussion > Competition
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
liftsiron
Administrator
 
liftsiron's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cimmeria
Posts: 18,493
liftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud of
The Truth About Those Nasty Distended Bellies

Pro Bodybuilding and Big Guts
The Truth About Those Nasty Distended Bellies
by John Romano | 08/25/17


Here's what you need to know...

Aside from diet and exercise, a big part of high-level bodybuilding is learning how to manage drug use.
Some blame growth hormone and insulin for the expanding waistlines of bodybuilders. This may not be the case.
Gut distension can be the result of digestive slowing, which happens when bodybuilders use diuretics and then carb-load while dehydrated.
Massive abs make it harder to have a small waist. And today's bodybuilders are more massive than ever.
Having a big gut should count against a competitor's score because he has clearly failed part of his contest prep.

The New Maternity Ward

At the Arnold Classic this year, there were an awful lot of bodybuilders on stage who looked several months pregnant, if you caught them when they weren't holding it in. More than usual this time.

And I'm talking about the men. Oddly, the women never look pregnant.

I'm sick of it. That gut destroys a physique, and if you're destroying a physique then you're destroying bodybuilding. And I happen to love bodybuilding.

The issue can no longer be swept under the rug. For the freak show that bodybuilding is today (and l mean "freak" in a good way), the distention issue needs to be addressed.

The guts need to be tamed.
Managing The Medicine Cabinet

Bodybuilding, done at a high level, presents a list of challenges, many of them quite formidable.

Part of playing the game of bodybuilding is that the bodybuilder must crack a code to figure out how to manage every aspect of bulking and contest preparation.

These challenges represent links in a very long and complex chain. If any one of them fails, the chain breaks and you lose.

The distended gut is an indication that the coach/guru in charge of the bodybuilder needs to up his game, just as he would if all his clients were tearing their pecs. Clearly he's screwing up something.

Part of the challenge in sculpting a winning physique requires you to handle your business in the medicine cabinet. Knowing how to use your drugs correctly and minimize side effects is as much a part of the game as anything else.
The Belly and the Drug Myths

You've heard it called "growth hormone gut," "slin-gut," "roid belly," etc. But what is so widely rumored to be the cause might not necessarily be so.

There are just as many published, peer reviewed, university studies indicating that Gh causes abdominal distention as there are those that prove insulin does ZERO. So, the evidence we must rely on is empirical.

In the case of insulin, a bodybuilder using insulin correctly is hopefully not taking more than 10-12 units before and after he trains. Even double that is still less than many diabetics (the people for whom insulin was originally invented) who take as much as 50-60 units a day, even more for the obese.

In the case of Gh, common doses in off-label muscle wasting cases range from 9-18 IU a day. As much as you'd like to believe they do, top pro bodybuilders do not typically do more than that. I see doses in the 4-12 range daily as being more common. But let's call it 18 IU for argument's sake.
Bellies

Doctors prescribing Gh or insulin don't tell their patients that they'll experience radical abdominal distention with its use. In fact, even the bodybuilding sites publishing articles on Gh and insulin use don't warn of abdominal distention.

The only time we ever hear of abdominal distention associated with Gh or insulin use is during post-contest commentary by internet experts.

By virtue of omission, we can pretty well see that there's no abdominal distention associated with pharmacological doses of Gh and insulin, which, in most cases, greatly exceed the doses competitive bodybuilders commonly use.

So, really, how does one justify blaming directly Gh or insulin?

There is little doubt that the concomitant correct use of Gh and insulin causes muscle to grow. Organs too, to some extent. But with the reported use of Gh and insulin being what it is, there should be wild reports of 12 pound spleens and eight foot aortas. But, once again, we hear of no such cases.

Don't put too much credence into uncontrolled organ hypertrophy. Someone show me a noncancerous gall bladder the size of cantaloupe and I may change my mind, but not until then.


Muscle growth is something we can all get behind. Gh and insulin, not to mention steroids, androgens, anti-cortisol drugs, diet, training supplements, etc., contribute to muscle growth.

The abdomen is covered in muscle that grows right along with all the other muscles, depending on genetics and how it's trained. That means today's mega-huge bodybuilders have to deal with a mega-huge amount of abdominal muscle.


And therein lies the rub. How is a 270 pound guy at 5'10" going have the little trim waist of a bodybuilder who weighs 230 at that height? He's not. So, there's a lot of muscle, and it sticks out.

There's a ton of arguing going on about how the '80s and early '90s bodybuilders didn't have distended guts even though they were using insulin and Gh. That's not entirely true, but it's true enough to toss a wrench in the gears of the current argument.

Muscle mass is at an all time high today, more so than in the '80s and '90s, with just a small handful of exceptions. More muscle mass also includes abdominal muscle mass.
Digestion and Distension

Stuffing food into that big bag of muscle also adds exponentially to the challenge a bodybuilder faces. Especially if the prep guru in charge is promoting a lot of carbs pre contest.

A dehydrated bodybuilder wishing to saturate his muscles with the glycogen derived from hundreds of calories of rice and potatoes is going to have a hell of a time of it.

Why? Because he's probably not taking in sodium and is on diuretics.

This slows gastric emptying and also leaves little water to make the desired glycogen (glycogen is three parts water to one of glucose), so the whole digestive process is slowed. The carbing-up, however, is not.
Turtle Belly

All that abdominal muscle is now being stretched because it's so full. It then draws fluid to it (blood), just like any other muscle being worked or stretched. This, coupled with a ton of food, should create a nice big bulge where a vacuum is supposed to be.

Add all these variables together, along with others that I haven't mentioned stress, nerves, water manipulation and you have a recipe for a challenge that will determine if your gut sticks out or not.

Figuring it out is part of the game in the "sport" of bodybuilding.
The Bodybuilder's Job

The onus should fall on the contest prep gurus to flatten out the mess they made. These guys should take this as a notice to maybe pay a little less attention to bro-science and more to real science. Figure out what you're doing wrong and fix it.
GH Gut

If you get on stage and your gut is sticking out, then you and your coach screwed up.

That should count against your scoring and could be the reason you'd lose. Unless, of course, the rest of the guys look worse, which is possible.

In any case, the sport should be presenting the judges the very best specimens of the human form from which they are to pick.

That's the whole point of entering your physique in a competition designed to pick the best one. Your job as a bodybuilder should be to be as close to absolute perfect as humanly possible, including a tight, trim, totally under control midsection.
Arnold Calls Out Pro-Bodybuilding

You probably know about what happened at the Arnold Classic when Schwarzenegger publicly called out the president of the IFBB and urged everyone else to do so as well.

Arnold said that the current judging standards in bodybuilding have denigrated to the shameful degree that the athletes' bodies no longer look "beautiful" or athletic, nor do they represent the kind of body that anyone would want to have themselves. Yep, he said it.

Now, Arnold is certainly not the first to criticize the judging of a bodybuilding contest. He is, however, the first one that's not going to get any shit for it. That's why the issue can no longer be ignored.

Arnold put his ample foot down. If you agree with him, it's time to say so because, according to the Oak, "It's unacceptable the way bodybuilding is going. We don't want to see stomachs sticking out. We want to see the most beautiful man, the most athletic man."

I agree.

This is certainly not the first time we've seen distended abdomens. I can think back as far to at least the end of Dorian Yates's reign when he was shamelessly photographed out of the lineup, sporting at least one pumpkin with a navel.

Having one should count against a competitor's score not only because it's ugly, but because it indicates that he's failing at an important, and now vital, aspect of what it takes to be an elite freak in pro bodybuilding.

If you've chosen to be a freak, get the distension under control.
__________________
ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
liftsiron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
TommyD
VET
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 99
TommyD will become famous soon enough
I liked the old timers with the thin waist and hips, V taper and vacuum poses. Was not a fan of the mass at all costs monsters. Just me.
TommyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
liftsiron
Administrator
 
liftsiron's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cimmeria
Posts: 18,493
liftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD View Post
I liked the old timers with the thin waist and hips, V taper and vacuum poses. Was not a fan of the mass at all costs monsters. Just me.
I'm with you 100%.
__________________
ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
liftsiron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
Big B
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,696
Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
Yeah, always though it was the hgh/slin combo but this makes sense. I only do abs 3 months out of the year to keep waste small and when I target core muscles, I do high reps...
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
Glycomann
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
I don't know how anyone can have a small waist pushing 100 iu of insulin a day with 1500 grams of carbs and 16 iu of GH a day. Back in the olden era it was almost no carbs, no insulin and no GH asside from what they could suck out of dead skulls.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Dawgpound_Hank
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
I don't buy it. Ya see all kinds of info posted these days about "other things", mainly the massive eating, that causes big guts, and not the gh & slin. Regarding to this article, they talk about it happening from the pre-contest ritual causing it. However, they forget to mention how Coleman, Yates, Kai, etc ALL had big guts in off season too - easy to see when you view videos of them posing on stage off season. All I know is there were NO guts pre-gh & slin era. Then when gh & slin took off and the doses slowly creeped up to what we have today, it's rare to see someone without a gut. I agree that the massive eating maybe plays a role, but not by itself - it only magnifies what the gh & slin is doing.

Also not too bright using a diabetic who uses much more slin as a comparison unless they are also using GH, lifting weights hardcore and eating like a bb.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
liftsiron
Administrator
 
liftsiron's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cimmeria
Posts: 18,493
liftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
I don't buy it. Ya see all kinds of info posted these days about "other things", mainly the massive eating, that causes big guts, and not the gh & slin. Regarding to this article, they talk about it happening from the pre-contest ritual causing it. However, they forget to mention how Coleman, Yates, Kai, etc ALL had big guts in off season too - easy to see when you view videos of them posing on stage off season. All I know is there were NO guts pre-gh & slin era. Then when gh & slin took off and the doses slowly creeped up to what we have today, it's rare to see someone without a gut. I agree that the massive eating maybe plays a role, but not by itself - it only magnifies what the gh & slin is doing.

Also not too bright using a diabetic who uses much more slin as a comparison unless they are also using GH, lifting weights hardcore and eating like a bb.
I agree with you far more than I do with the article.
__________________
ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
liftsiron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
Deacon
Vet
 
Deacon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Belleview Psych Ward RM 213
Posts: 3,782
Deacon is just really niceDeacon is just really niceDeacon is just really niceDeacon is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
I don't buy it. Ya see all kinds of info posted these days about "other things", mainly the massive eating, that causes big guts, and not the gh & slin. Regarding to this article, they talk about it happening from the pre-contest ritual causing it. However, they forget to mention how Coleman, Yates, Kai, etc ALL had big guts in off season too - easy to see when you view videos of them posing on stage off season. All I know is there were NO guts pre-gh & slin era. Then when gh & slin took off and the doses slowly creeped up to what we have today, it's rare to see someone without a gut. I agree that the massive eating maybe plays a role, but not by itself - it only magnifies what the gh & slin is doing.

Also not too bright using a diabetic who uses much more slin as a comparison unless they are also using GH, lifting weights hardcore and eating like a bb.
well said
__________________
Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
"Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"


"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
Darkness
Moderator
 
Darkness's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Nefarious AAS Underworld
Posts: 5,580
Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
I also agree with DPH
Darkness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #10
Big B
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,696
Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
I don't buy it. Ya see all kinds of info posted these days about "other things", mainly the massive eating, that causes big guts, and not the gh & slin. Regarding to this article, they talk about it happening from the pre-contest ritual causing it. However, they forget to mention how Coleman, Yates, Kai, etc ALL had big guts in off season too - easy to see when you view videos of them posing on stage off season. All I know is there were NO guts pre-gh & slin era. Then when gh & slin took off and the doses slowly creeped up to what we have today, it's rare to see someone without a gut. I agree that the massive eating maybe plays a role, but not by itself - it only magnifies what the gh & slin is doing.

Also not too bright using a diabetic who uses much more slin as a comparison unless they are also using GH, lifting weights hardcore and eating like a bb.
that has me believe to be part of the problem but with slowing down of food thru digestive system via diuretics, doesn't it make sense with all that food stuffing, especially guys consuming 10,000 calories, it would expand the intestines?
It looks like it happens both ways...
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
liftsiron
Administrator
 
liftsiron's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cimmeria
Posts: 18,493
liftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud ofliftsiron has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
that has me believe to be part of the problem but with slowing down of food thru digestive system via diuretics, doesn't it make sense with all that food stuffing, especially guys consuming 10,000 calories, it would expand the intestines?
It looks like it happens both ways...
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't even the pros use diuretics only a short time like for a few days before a contest like non pros do?
__________________
ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
liftsiron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #12
Dawgpound_Hank
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
that has me believe to be part of the problem but with slowing down of food thru digestive system via diuretics, doesn't it make sense with all that food stuffing, especially guys consuming 10,000 calories, it would expand the intestines?
It looks like it happens both ways...
But they don't take diuretics year round - only before a show - and yet they still have big guts all year around. I'm one of those guys who believes if it tastes like chicken, and smells like chicken, then it must be chicken haha. In this case, we didn't see these huge guts until gh & slin hit the scene, and more so once they started being abused. I don't think most guys running 5iu ed of gh and 5 iu ed of slin would have a problem with the gut issue, but many of the pros purportedly are using a shitload more than that, and hence, the distension.

Anyways, just my take haha - not like I'm a guru on the topic, just using sound logic of when the guts began, and the common denominator is gh & slin.

Btw, there was some great interviews by Tom Platz in the 90's with Coleman, Dillet, Aaron Baker, Lee Priest, Chris Cormier, and a couple other guys I forget. G posted them at WCBB and I posted them over here in the AB section. They all said what they took - AAS, GH, slin, the whole 9. None of those guys had distension at all - their doses were tiny regarding gh & slin. Then Yates posted his videos talking about how his gut exploded in size the first time he used slin - he was prolly taking more being he pushed the envelope in size in the 90's. So I think there is something to be said with how the guts grow with larger doses of slin & gh.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
b52
Moderator
 
b52's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD View Post
I liked the old timers with the thin waist and hips, V taper and vacuum poses. Was not a fan of the mass at all costs monsters. Just me.
Flex wheeler, Dexter Jackson. Those guys were aesthetically pleasing to look at. Cedric Mcmilian( I think that's his name) also.
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
Dakota
VET
 
Dakota's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,053
Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post

Btw, there was some great interviews by Tom Platz in the 90's with Coleman, Dillet, Aaron Baker, Lee Priest, Chris Cormier, and a couple other guys I forget. G posted them at WCBB and I posted them over here in the AB section. They all said what they took - AAS, GH, slin, the whole 9. None of those guys had distension at all - their doses were tiny regarding gh & slin. Then Yates posted his videos talking about how his gut exploded in size the first time he used slin - he was prolly taking more being he pushed the envelope in size in the 90's. So I think there is something to be said with how the guts grow with larger doses of slin & gh.
Coleman had a HUGE gut in his later years. The Net is loaded with his distended belly photos. He was one of the first ones to really get called out on a gh gut so I assume he used plenty as well. He was pretty honest about it.
__________________
The older I get the better I used to be.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #15
DrX
VET
 
DrX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 22
DrX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Coleman had a HUGE gut in his later years. The Net is loaded with his distended belly photos. He was one of the first ones to really get called out on a gh gut so I assume he used plenty as well. He was pretty honest about it.
I can chime in and give my 2 cents. As a type one diabetic who is vary familiar with all the insulin's available, it comes down to which insulin one is using that causes massive distention. Distention is actually the growth of the internal organs from the heart all the way to the digestive track.

The issue lies with the long acting versions ESPECIALLY Lantus. Lantus is completely avoided by diabetics in the know because in countries that track cancer rates and Lantus use, see a direct correlation. Not only cancer but the extreme IGF1 that comes with its use. This is what causes the organs to grow.

Regular insulin and GH which was used HEAVILY in the 90's still produced stream line tight waists.

DrX
DrX is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.