ibuprofen as masking agent for testosterone ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

posted by bigcat at CEM

1: Steroids. 2009 Jul 27. [Epub ahead of print]Click here to read Links
    Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs interact with testosterone glucuronidation.
    Sten T, Finel M, Ask B, Rane A, Ekström L.

Division of Pharmaceutical Chemistry (T.S.) and Centre for Drug Research (CDR) (M.F.), Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, FI-00014, Helsinki, Finland; Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, SE-141 86, Stockholm, Sweden (B.A., A.R., L.E.).

Testosterone and epitestosterone are secreted mainly as glucuronide metabolites and the urinary ratio of testosterone glucuronide to epitestosterone glucuronide, often called T/E, serves as a marker for possible anabolic steroids abuse by athletes. UDP-glucuronosyltransferase (UGT) 2B17 is the most important catalyst of testosterone glucuronidation. The T/E might be affected by drugs that interact with UGT2B17, or other enzymes that contribute to testosterone glucuronidation. Non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are commonly used by sportsmen and we have examined the effect of two NSAIDs, diclofenac and ibuprofen, on testosterone and epitestosterone glucuronidation in human liver microsomes. In parallel, we have studied the inhibitory effect of these NSAIDs on recombinant UGT2B17 and UGT2B15, as well as other human hepatic UGTs that revealed low but detectable testosterone glucuronidation activity, namely UGT1A3, UGT1A4, UGT1A9 and UGT2B7. Both diclofenac and ibuprofen inhibited testosterone glucuronidation in microsomes, as well as UGT2B15 and UGT2B17. Interestingly, UGT2B15 was more sensitive than UGT2B17 to the two drugs, particularly to ibuprofen. Human liver microsomes lacking functional UGT2B17 exhibited significantly higher sensitivity to ibuprofen, suggesting that UGT2B15 plays a major role in the residual testosterone glucuronidation activity in UGT2B17-deficient individuals. Nonetheless, a minor contribution of other UGTs, particularly UGT1A9, to testosterone glucuronidation in such individuals can not be ruled out at this stage. The epitestosterone glucuronidation activity of human liver microsomes was largely insensitive to ibuprofen and diclofenac. Taken together, the results highlight potential interactions between NSAIDs and androgen glucuronidation with possible implications for the validity of doping tests.

Pretty much what this says is that if you take ibuprofen it will increase the secretion epi test to test in the urine thus fucking up a screening for testosterone doping which is based on the ratio of epi test to test. I'm also trying to locate a study that suggests that ibuprofen increases free test levels in blood.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
  • Trapology
    • Jan 2007

man thats pretty interesting
    Some Men Aren't Looking For Anything Logical, Like Money. They Can't Be Bought, Bullied, Reasoned or Negotiated With. Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn

Comment

• Lokedogg
      Vet
      • Jan 2008

Very interesting. I'm curious to if it increases free T. Seem like the anti-inflamitory drug inhibit recovery in natties through interlukin pathway inhibition but can't remember(not that this is what this post's about).

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Lokedogg
        Very interesting. I'm curious to if it increases free T. Seem like the anti-inflamitory drug inhibit recovery in natties through interlukin pathway inhibition but can't remember(not that this is what this post's about).
        I'm familiar with what your talking about, I believe this theory came about from some very poorly conducted rat studies. I've seem recent studies, some with people that don't find any noticeable negative effects.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• DADAWG
          Vet
          • May 2004

never heard of this one before but it explains a few negative test results from powerlifting contest if its true.
          NOT ONLY IS STUPIDITY INCURABLE BUT ITS ALSO CONTAGIOUS OVER THE INTERNET.

Comment

Working...