• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

hCG Diet Reviewed by FullBar’s Dr. Michael Snyder

You won’t see me promoting quick fixes or fad diets anytime soon. But every once in awhile something comes along that seems so dangerous I have to call it out. That’s why I’m going to help reveal the truth behind the HCG diet.hcg injections

What it is: HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) is a hormone produced during pregnancy by the cells that form the placenta. This hormone is detected in the blood around 11 days after conception; it is detected in the urine around 12-14 days after conception. While it is most commonly associated with pregnancy, it is present in both genders.

What it does in the body: HCG signals the hypothalamus (area of the brain that affects metabolism) to mobilize fat stores. In pregnancy, this helps the body bring nutrients into the placenta, fueling the fetus with the energy to grow.

The weight loss claim: The HCG diet (using daily hcg injections) will help you lose 1-3 pounds per day. The HCG-diet combines the daily injections with a very low-calorie diet (500 calories per day).

500-calories per day is severely restrictive! In fact, it is not enough calories to support normal brain function. Your body will compensate by using stores of glycogen, protein (muscle) and some fat, which lowers your resting metabolism. Before you can lose true weight, you will be so irritable, lightheaded, and cranky that you’ll reach for whatever food you can get your hands on and have a field day.

Scientific evidence: There is no scientific evidence supporting HCG injections as a weight loss strategy. In addition, these injections have not been approved by the FDA for use in weight loss. In fact, since 1975 the FDA has required all marketing and advertising of HCG to state the following: “HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or ‘normal’ distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

“HCG is a hormone extracted from urine of pregnant women. It is approved by FDA for treatment of certain problems of the male reproductive system and in stimulating ovulation in women who have had difficulty becoming pregnant. No evidence has been presented, however, to substantiate claims for HCG as a weight-loss aid.” via the FDA

HCG ban: The hormone was recently added to the list of “banned substances” in Major League Baseball, as it was becoming increasingly popular among steroid users. Athletes turned to this, among other “performance enhancing drugs” because it “mitigates the side effects of ending a cycle of steroids.”

Negative side effects: The common side effects include headaches, mood swings, depression, blood clots, confusion, and dizziness. Some women also develop a condition called Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS); symptoms of this include pelvic pain, swelling of the hands and legs, stomach pain, weight gain, shortness of breath, diarrhea, vomiting/nausea, and/or urinating less than normal.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Weight loss is hard work and it won’t come in a potion, pill, or injection. The most “dangerous” thing you should be doing to your body is trying a new exercise that intimidates you like rock climbing or completing a marathon.
    • Jan 2007

is there an article for this?

i know a bunch of women who caught wind of this from one place or another and tried this last year
    Some Men Aren't Looking For Anything Logical, Like Money. They Can't Be Bought, Bullied, Reasoned or Negotiated With. Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Nigbo
      is there an article for this?

i know a bunch of women who caught wind of this from one place or another and tried this last year

This was the article. but if you google:

I remember seeing some links and such for more info.
      There is also a few studies that I have seen that compared placebo to hcg in the diet with equal results. I looked for one of the fuckers this morning but couldn't find one.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Trapology
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by liftsiron
        This was the article. but if you google:

I remember seeing some links and such for more info.
        There is also a few studies that I have seen that compared placebo to hcg in the diet with equal results. I looked for one of the fuckers this morning but couldn't find one.
        a link i meant, sorry lol

id like to see those placebo studies, its crazy how many people tried using this

my ex gf's grand parents and dad wanted to do it, they said the dr suggested it
        Some Men Aren't Looking For Anything Logical, Like Money. They Can't Be Bought, Bullied, Reasoned or Negotiated With. Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn

Comment

• basskiller
          Administrator
          • Aug 2003

Chorionic gonadotropin in weight control. A double-blind crossover study.
          Young RL, Fuchs RJ, Woltjen MJ.

Abstract
          Two hundred two patients participated in a double-blind random cross-over study of the effectiveness of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) vs placebo in a wieght reduction program. Serial measurements were made of weight, skin-fold thickness, dropout rates, reasons for dropping out, and patient subjective response. There was no statistically significant difference between those receiving HCG vs placebo during any phase of this study (P greater than .1).
          Owner of
          Worldclassbodybuilding.com - my forum
          basskilleronline.com

Comment

• liftsiron
            Administrator
            • Nov 2003

More posted by Bass on WCBB

I will add my two cents..

While i will not say that the HCG doesn't in someway help a very little when it comes to the HCG diet.. It's not at all what really causes the weight loss. It's the caloric restriction.

It's misdirection at it's finest. You claim you need thise special drug which has remarkable weightloss properties. (HCG as a fat uncoupler) You build up the effects that this drug can have.. The whole time also having you on a restricted calorie diet.. This is where the weight loss comes from.. But they don't want to say this any more than they have to or otherwise they wouldn't be able to charge you $$$$ for the HCG or consulting fees.. Once you learn that you could do this on your own (beit, not the healthiest way of dieting)

here is a few studies
            Quote:
            Chorionic gonadotropin in weight control. A double-blind crossover study.

Young RL, Fuchs RJ, Woltjen MJ.

Abstract
            Two hundred two patients participated in a double-blind random cross-over study of the effectiveness of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) vs placebo in a wieght reduction program. Serial measurements were made of weight, skin-fold thickness, dropout rates, reasons for dropping out, and patient subjective response. There was no statistically significant difference between those receiving HCG vs placebo during any phase of this study (P greater than .1).
            Quote:
            Human chorionic gonadotrophin and weight loss. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

Bosch B, Venter I, Stewart RI, Bertram SR.

Department of Medical Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Stellenbosch, Parowvallei, CP.

Abstract
            Low-dose human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) combined with a severe diet remains a popular treatment for obesity, despite equivocal evidence of its effectiveness. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, the effects of HCG on weight loss were compared with placebo injections. Forty obese women (body mass index greater than 30 kg/m2) were placed on the same diet supplying 5,000 kJ per day and received daily intramuscular injections of saline or HCG, 6 days a week for 6 weeks. A psychological profile, hunger level, body circumferences, a fasting blood sample and food records were obtained at the start and end of the study, while body weight was measured weekly. Subjects receiving HCG injections showed no advantages over those on placebo in respect of any of the variables recorded. Furthermore, weight loss on our diet was similar to that on severely restricted intake. We conclude that there is no rationale for the use of HCG injections in the treatment of obesity.

Quote:
            Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) Treatment of Obesity
            Kaup R. Shetty, MD; Ronald K. Kalkhoff, MD

Arch Intern Med. 1977;137(2):151-155.

Abstract

After a nine-day control period, six hospitalized obese women were placed on 500 calorie diets and were given 125 IU of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) intramuscularly daily for 30 days. Another five obese women received injections of diluent only and consumed identical diets for the same period. Mean weight loss in the HCG-treated group was nearly identical to that achieved by women given the placebo. Reduction of triceps skinfold thickness or circumferential body measurements of the chest, waist, hips, and thighs were not different. Patterns of change of a variety of plasma and urine substrates, electrolytes, and hormones were similar in the two groups and consistent with semistarvation and weight loss. These results indicate that HCG has no effects on chemical and hormonal parameters measured and offers no advantage over calorie restriction in promoting weight loss.

(Arch Intern Med 137:151-155, 1977)
            PDF showing the same

Comment

• Mr Incredible
              • Oct 2010

Total Ignorance

Comment

Working...