Deli Meats

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Sexy

Deli Meats

I was told at work yesterday "man you eat a lot of lunch meat" and it made me start to wonder if I should cut back. Are deli meats an unhealthy lunch? I usually stick with turkey or ham and throw a piece of cheese on it. I know theres a high amount of sodium and preservatives but other than that are they relatively healthy to eat?
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Most are lean, you can boil most of the sodium out of ham. Processed meats are not as healthy as fresh.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• gs_980

I've been eating sandwiches again recently after stopping because of the salts and preservatives. I'm buying P28 bread and using higher quality meats. Because of the protein in the bread I use less meat and I feel better cause I don't load up on the processed meat just processed bread. Plus I can have a PBJ with 30G of protein.

Comment

• workingout
        VET
        • Apr 2004

the first real issue with lunch meats is the high amount of sodium.

After that its more a nitrates issue.

I like that bit about boiling out the salt. I may give it a try. I really like the Protein to Fat ratio of turkey ham, but dont use it cause the sodium is way to high.
        He who does not strike first is the first stricken.

BS ESS

Comment

• A.B
          VET
          • Jun 2004

love proscuitto (sp?) but it has the highest fats, sodium combo for any deli meat. most delis i go to have a nutrition guide to look at, just be weary of the serving size

Comment

• oneeyedwilly
            Vet
            • Jul 2011

If you have a costco membership I highly recommend buying their turkey breast.

They sell these whole turkey breasts that you can slice off yourself. They are delicious.

Comment

• MR. BMJ
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by oneeyedwilly
              If you have a costco membership I highly recommend buying their turkey breast.

They sell these whole turkey breasts that you can slice off yourself. They are delicious.
              I buy these too and make sammies with them too. I give it a quick wash and then cut it into slices

Comment

• olderfella
                Vet
                • Jul 2011

In the uk deli meats tend to be full of sodium and various other preservatives i try never to eat em not sure of usa food laws over here they stick anything they can in em

Comment

• Bagua

I eat a fair amount of deli meat but opt for the low sodium and lean variety. When I get a chance I stop at the neighbourhood deli and grab some excellent sliced turkey breast.

Comment

Working...