confused

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruster

confused

can i have some examples of high glycemic carbs...simple carbs.. and starches... also what kinds am i supposed to have after workout? and what to avoid altogether? i'm posting this after reading the eight week diet posted by crumcake
  • Easto

After a workout you want simple carbs. Go to a place such as the Bulk Bard and pick up some Dextrose (Corn Sugar) and put some in with your protein shake.

The rest of the day, I would try and eat as such complex carbs as you can: oatmeal, potatoes, rice, pasta, veggies, ect

Comment

• rubberduckyo

Some good complex cards are : oatmeal, sweet potatoes, beans (protein AND carbs here ), hearty wheat bread (the good and chewy kind).

In a pinch for post workout you can use a gatorade powder. The idea is simple sugars, faster absorption, insulin spike. Myself I use creatine mixed in a glass of apple juice immediately post workout followed by my usual shake.

Comment

• Easto

Originally posted by rubberduckyo
        Some good complex cards are : oatmeal, sweet potatoes, beans (protein AND carbs here ), hearty wheat bread (the good and chewy kind).

In a pinch for post workout you can use a gatorade powder. The idea is simple sugars, faster absorption, insulin spike. Myself I use creatine mixed in a glass of apple juice immediately post workout followed by my usual shake.
        I love it when you talk dirty .....

OPPS, this isn't the conversation forum wwww:

Comment

• bruster

Originally posted by rubberduckyo

thank you

Comment

• rubberduckyo

Taken from BodybuidingPro.com

Types of Carbohydrates

Categories of Carbohydrates

There are a variety of types of carbohydrates, and it is important to understand each one individually and the pros and cons of consumption. This will help you to know when to eat what type of carb, and in what quantity, as each one is distinct in it's benefit to the body and to training.

Complex Carbohydrates

Complex carbohydrates are not as easily digestible as simple carbohydrates. They are broken down before they are absorbed into the bloodstream. As a result, they release glucose into the bloodstream at a slower pace than simple carbohydrates. A detailed list of such carbohydrates can be found HERE. Some examples include breads, potatoes and legumes.

Simple Carbohydrates

Unlike complex carbohydrates, simple carbohydrates are already in simplest form, and are therefore more easily digested and enter into the bloodstream at a faster rate. A detailed list of such carbohydrates can be found HERE. Some examples include fruit, cookies and candy.

High Glycemic Carbs

The glycemic index (GI) is a measure of the speed at which a carbohydrate raises blood sugar levels. From this, a high glycemic carb is one which raises blood sugar levels very quickly. The spike in blood sugar creates the insulin response which means that your body will produce high amounts of insulin to return your blood sugar back to normal levels. This is done by converting all the glucose into fat which gets stored in your body. This results in low blood sugars and the craving for simple carbs. Examples of high GI carbs include potatoes, corn, carrots, bagels, white bread, and gatorade (good to consume post workout with a protein shake.

Low Glycemic Carbs

Low Glycemic Carbs cause a smaller rise in blood sugar. Low GI carbs are preferred when losing weight, but not the only choice. High GI carbs can be used when mixed with protein and healthy fats. Some examples of low GI carbs include plums, peas and spinach.

Refined (Processed) Carbs

Refined carbs are products that have been altered to increase shelf life. These types of carbs are found in frozen, canned and boxed items. Key words to look for on packaging to determine if the carbs are processed are words such as rolled, bleached, dehydrated and partially hydrogenated. Examples of these types of carbs include white bread, pasta and cookies.

Unrefined Carbs

Unrefined carbs are foods that are in their natural state. Oranges are unrefined while orange juice is refine.

Carbs to Avoid while Dieting

While trying to lose weight, it is good to avoid most processed foods such as pasta, white rice, fruit juice, sugar loaded fat free yogurt, most crackers, cookies, pastries, white bread, chips, pretzels, bagels, sports drinks, soft drinks, and candy. Once you have dieted and lost weight successfully, these carbs can be re-admitted into your daily diet in moderation.

Carbs to Moderate

Many of the most popular diet plans tell you to avoid starchy carbs and high glycemic carbs but they do serve a purpose. If you're working out your body needs them for energy and they also help your body burn fat. There are 3 simple rules when it comes to starchy and high glycemic carbs:

Limit yourself to two servings a day of each

Eat them in the first half of your day. Always combine with protein. Doing this allows you to eat some of the foods you like and still lose weight. For example: In the first half of your day you can have eggs and potatoes for breakfast, fruit salad and protein shake for a snack, and tuna with veggies, balsamic vinegar & olive oil in half a whole wheat pita for lunch. In the afternoon you could eat whey protein shake & 1 apple for a snack, plus a chicken breast and spinach & tomato salad for dinner.

Carbs You Can Indulge

Not many people are into eating greens and high fiber cereal (13g of more per serving) but these are the carbs the help you feel full, have the most nutrients, and really boost metabolism so indulge all you want.

Cycle Your Carbs

Another great strategy is to vary your carb grams based on your activity level. On the days you're lifting heavy and doing a lot of cardio you can allow yourself a little more carbs than on the days you don't work out at all. But don't use this as an excuse to indulge your chocolate cake fantasies. All this means is that you can eat an extra piece of fruit or an extra serving of brown rice. If you stick to these simple rules you will have no problem shedding those pounds without feeling too deprived.

Comment

• rubberduckyo

Originally posted by Easto
              I love it when you talk dirty .....

OPPS, this isn't the conversation forum wwww:
              Hahahaha!!!

Comment

• bruster

thanks alot rubberduckyo! that helped me alot.. i was kinda confused.. for me weighing 185 what is the least/most carbs i should get... for losing fat.. not Muscle..oh i'm 5'8" if you need to know

Comment

• rubberduckyo

Re:

Originally posted by bruster
                  thanks alot rubberduckyo! that helped me alot.. i was kinda confused.. for me weighing 185 what is the least/most carbs i should get... for losing fat.. not Muscle..oh i'm 5'8" if you need to know
                  Depends on what you can tolerate. So you are trying to cut?

How many calories per day are you currently taking in? How is that divided? (protein/fats/carbs)

Comment

• rubberduckyo

Oh shoot! Didn't realize that thread was on here. Check out YellowJacket's "BMR" thread. Good place to start.

Comment

• bruster

rubberduckyo

what am i tryin to cut..well.. my upper body and legs are just fine..just my stomach..i mean it doesn't stick out or anything.. just a lil fat and can't see abs.

Comment

• bruster

BMR

rubberduckyo i did yellowjackets formula and i came up with 3198 for my BMR.

Comment

• rubberduckyo

Re: BMR

Originally posted by bruster
                          rubberduckyo i did yellowjackets formula and i came up with 3198 for my BMR.
                          Were you able to understand the rest of the post as far as how to use this information for fat loss?

Comment

• elijah_123

Originally posted by Easto
                            Go to a place such as the Bulk Bard
                            Typos like this are so fun. I kept picturing a warehouse full of guys in tights with little guitars singing about sugar.... thanks Easo

Comment

• Easto

Originally posted by elijah_123
                              Typos like this are so fun. I kept picturing a warehouse full of guys in tights with little guitars singing about sugar.... thanks Easo
                              OOPS... Bulk Barn

Comment

Working...