Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • millenium girl
    • Apr 2006

Should kids be lifting weights?

Resistance training is good for kids, but needs to be supervised and tailored for them by a qualified professional, according to a consensus statement by 20 doctors and fitness experts.

The statement appears in the British Journal of Sports Medicine and is endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the International Federation of Sports Medicine and the U.S. National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

Resistance training - which can include light free weights, resistance bands or medicine balls, as well as push-ups and other body-weight-bearing exercises - can benefit young bodies and prepare them for active lives, the authors point out.

"You can look at the data from the Centers for Disease Control, kids are becoming less and less fit all the time," said Dr. Tim Hewett, director of the Sports Medicine Biodynamics Center at the University of Cincinnati, who was not involved in the statement. "There are lots of problems related to our current lifestyles."

Lack of strength and overall fitness, cardiovascular and musculoskeletal strength all contribute to poor health for kids, and resistance training can be a great option to help, but moderation is key, he said.

Though many parents fear their children will be injured during exercise or will damage their growing skeletons, childhood is actually the best time to use weight-bearing activity to build bone mass and kids are less likely to suffer sprains than adults, according to the statement.

Programs designed to promote conditioning and correct form for specific sports can also reduce the risk of injuries by 50 percent in kids and teens, the authors write.

"Clearly, participation in physical activity should not begin with competitive sport but should evolve out of preparatory fitness conditioning that is sensibly progressed over time," they write.

But these activities need to be supervised by "qualified professionals," like trainers or coaches, with strength and conditioning certifications.

These leaders need to know how to effectively communicate with kids and teens, as well as what exercises are best for kids and teens, and "how much is too much."

Position statements in support of resistance training like this one make it easier to inform parents and coaches who may still be hesitant, said Jeff Martin, who co-founded CrossFit Kids, a branch of the popular and sometimes controversial training program geared to kids from preschool age and up.

"With respect to resistance training, parents and coaches should always keep in mind that children are not simply miniature adults," Martin said.

Children, especially the youngest ones, benefit most from doing many reps of little or no weight, he said.

Hewett, a former power lifter, agreed with that premise, but expressed concern that CrossFit in particular may be too intense for kids.

"We have to get our kids more active but we can't overdo it," he said.

Kids need to have fun to be engaged, and can vary widely in their ability to pay attention and focus during sets of many reps of the same movement. When they drop weights, he said, they could injure themselves.

Martin recommends that preschool kids never use weights, and should focus instead on fundamental movements like squats.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that eight year olds can start using light weights, but children mature at vastly different rates, Martin says, and some five year olds in his program start using very light objects or dumbbells.

"The key points are moderation, supervision and qualified professionals," Hewett said.

He and Martin agree that "qualified professionals" need more than just certifications, they need experience working with kids so they can assess a child's developmental and emotional maturity, since that can often be an important factor in how much is too much for each child.

"Parents should watch their children's trainers and see how the children react to them. Do they relate well and vice versa?" said Martin. "All the qualifications in the world will not help someone who cannot speak the language of the children or teens in their care."

[Science Daily]
    Don't forget to join
    http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
    http://www.basskilleronline.com
  • willi
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

My daughter is 4 1/2. She comes to the gym with me sometimes and has a blast. There are little dumbells there for her to imitate daddy. My friends there are great people to be around.
    I think positive experiences like a gym with good supervision is great for young people. This is positive. Anytime my child wants to be like me I am honored and I want to encourage that. I want my child to see the gym and other places I go as good and fun and places she would like to be. When she grows up I want the memories to be happy. From that she will be formed. As to what comes of it...hopefully good things.

When she gets older, if she would like, I think it would be great for her or any other youth to be active in the gym. I know I love what I do. It makes me want to pass that on to young people.

Comment

• Magnesium
      Vet
      • Dec 2009

when i first started lifting in about 5th grade, the local highschool coach had me (and everybody else) start with what appeared to be a cardboard christmas paper tube wrapped in some duct tape. Once you proved that you had correct form burned into your memory, you were allowed to move on to just the bar for high rep sets. If your form was bad, you went back to the tube.

Comment

• Glycomann

I don't think the problem is lack of weight training. It is lack of regular childhood activities, too much Xbox, too much on the computer, too much hand to mouth of crap junk foods. The main thing is not enough baseball, football, soccer, basketball, run the bases, off the wall, tag, wrestling, grappling, monkey pile.. stuff like that. Kids need those activities to properly develop physically and socially. Weights are just linear movement, a poor activity for developmental processes. The body programs coordination through proprioceptive and movement. Watch a long retired athlete, say in basketball. He will pick up the ball, spin it on his fingertip, take three steps, jump (slightly backward to avoid an imaginary defender) and sink a 3 pointer. That is programing people. Weight training is an accessory conditioning activity for athletics. For instance, a 1-15 year old highschool freshmen trains in the weight room all summer to boost his strength for JV football.

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

Weight training is good for children but they have to be old enough to understand and follow instruction. Glyco makes a great point kids need to play hard and enjoy sports, not just PC games.
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Herc
            Vet
            • Sep 2013

My brother and I started lifting at 11 years old. All we had was our dads old bench press and sand weights, but we lifted consistently for many years. I am now 34 and my chest has always been massive. I chalk it up to early development of the muscle. I don't even have to do chest exercises and it stays big and ripped. I wish I would have had a more rounded routine and someone to monitor us. I have had trouble getting the rest of my muscles to catch up. I think my chest is still far too big for the rest of my frame.
            In conclusion, I think my workouts needed to be more rounded in early development.

Comment

• Darkness
              • Apr 2011

I really beleive I had the best childhood I can imagine. In the summer I would get up before dawn run out the house and get on my bike. I went all over hell on the thing then about 9 other kids would come out. baseball football and basketball were what we did. We lifted weights in my friends garage. We had boxing gloves and would pound the shit out of each other. We wuld biuld ramps and ramp our bikes. We fished every evening. We walked up the road with guns and safely shot things in the woods. Mom had to threaten me every night after dark to get me to come in the house and take a bath. If it werent for our parents we have have did this shit in 24 hour shifts.

I see these little shits in their AC homes and playing video games and wonder WTF. I am glad to see my kids with alittle gasoline ass out playing as they do. They do school sports swim in their pool and do tricks on the trampoline. Bikes take them places. Not like me but at least alittle.

I couldnt imagine hiring a trainer for my kid to make them active. I would boot their ass out of the house and tell them to go play and teach them how if they didnt know.

Something to remember is playing with your kids goes a long way. I like to play basketball with my girls. One of them can almost take my old ass in the post now

Comment

• Glycomann

Originally posted by Darkness
                I really beleive I had the best childhood I can imagine. In the summer I would get up before dawn run out the house and get on my bike. I went all over hell on the thing then about 9 other kids would come out. baseball football and basketball were what we did. We lifted weights in my friends garage. We had boxing gloves and would pound the shit out of each other. We wuld biuld ramps and ramp our bikes. We fished every evening. We walked up the road with guns and safely shot things in the woods. Mom had to threaten me every night after dark to get me to come in the house and take a bath. If it werent for our parents we have have did this shit in 24 hour shifts.

I see these little shits in their AC homes and playing video games and wonder WTF. I am glad to see my kids with alittle gasoline ass out playing as they do. They do school sports swim in their pool and do tricks on the trampoline. Bikes take them places. Not like me but at least alittle.

I couldnt imagine hiring a trainer for my kid to make them active. I would boot their ass out of the house and tell them to go play and teach them how if they didnt know.

Something to remember is playing with your kids goes a long way. I like to play basketball with my girls. One of them can almost take my old ass in the post now
                That's my childhood to a tee.

Comment

• caladin

I don't see an issue with body weight exercises starting at 9. Gymnast usually start younger then that.

Weightlifting as soon as they have the mind to do it.

Comment

• G.Reaper
                    Vet
                    • Oct 2013

My dad has always weight lifted so naturally my brothers and I wanted to as well. When I was young I took to it more so than my brothers and I used to work my butt off in my dads home gym. My dad even bought me a junior weight set so I stopped messing with his weights. I was always intrigued with flexing the chest and how cool I thought it looked under the shirt so I started training chest as much as I could. By the time I was in the fifth grade I was able to "make my chest dance" which I am pretty sure I was the only one in the school to be able to do so, lol.
                    As Herc mentioned I think that the early development also aided in my overall chest size, it is much bigger than my brothers who also lift. With that, I think that weight lifting is great for kids so long as they have realistic expectations at that age. My kids like to pretend to lift with me and I think it is great.
                    Kids need to get out more and the parents need to be PARENTS!

Comment

• irish_2003
                      Vet
                      • Oct 2011

the alternative is fat, lazy kids...so what's so bad about training and developing good habits early other than healthy people don't need gov't handouts ?

my point is all "reports" have an agenda...they change back and forth depending on who is sponsoring the report

Comment

Working...